If Taysom is not QB... (1 Viewer)

You know he'll be 30 right? This is stuff you say for a running QB straight out of college, not a running QB that's Thirty years old.
He also don’t have the wear and tear of most 30 yo players. He came into the league at 26, not 22, because he went on a mission and he took time for his brother’s death.

You have to play the odds on situations like this one. Can he improve his accuracy and ability to read defenses over the offseason? Maybe a little. He's 30 years old. Can Cam Newton, who is only a year old that Taysom Hill improve his accuracy and ability to read defenses over the offseason? Well, if Taysom Hill can do it...why couldn't Cam Newton? And the answer is that there very poor precedence for guys that are 30+ years old substantially improving their game. My concern is that running QBs typically see a quicker peak, because their physical skills start to erode and the injuries effect them more than pocket QBs. I'm not thrilled about the idea of tying myself to a 30+ year old running QB. Statistically, it's much more likely that his running skills will erode faster than he can make-up through his improvements as a passer. I'm fine with him as our QB next season if we don't have a better option, but I do think that we will be limited offensively...and if we weren't good enough this year, I have serious doubts we'll be good enough next year.

Also, I'm not sure that pocket awareness is something that can improved upon. It's been my experience that a guy either has it or he doesn't. Taysom demonstrated below average pocket awareness. With this desire to move in the pocket...that's a big risk...as I always foresee him as an enormous fumble risk. If the Saints are going to win with Taysom it's going to be through an elite defense and a ball control offense...it's tough to control the ball when your QB is fumbling. Also, Hill was atrocious at targeting Kamara. Kamara is one of the best players in the league...if you can't get him the ball...you're in trouble.
Cam Newton has already had 10 seasons in the league as a starter, thats 160 games. He’s already experienced his learning curve, Taysom has 4 games under his belt, he hasn’t had a chance to learn everything he can.

Unfortunately, the arguments for an undrafted gadget player trying to learn the subtleties of QB at 30 are not that much better.

You may be right. We will just have to wait and see what happens next.

My guess is
  • The team will change substantially with several new parts, not just the QB
  • I don't think there is a seamless way to transition away from Drew.
  • We need to moderate our expectations for 2021
  • I wonder if there are some teams that might be interested in luring Taysom away from the Saints and if the cap space that gives the Saints might make it happen.

Yeah, as much I insist he is not the QB of the future, Taysom has never shown himself to be anything but a team player, so I wouldn't expect him to throw a fit if asked to go back to the jack of all trades role.

I guess we will find out in 2022 if he stays in N.O. Taysom is probably too much a team first guy to publicly get upset at his role.

Cam Newton has already had 10 seasons in the league as a starter, thats 160 games. He’s already experienced his learning curve, Taysom has 4 games under his belt, he hasn’t had a chance to learn everything he can.

When is Taysom going to get this learning experience between now and next years regular season?

Yeah, as much I insist he is not the QB of the future, Taysom has never shown himself to be anything but a team player, so I wouldn't expect him to throw a fit if asked to go back to the jack of all trades role.

Not so sure about that. He was explicit in his 2019 SB interview rounds
that he views himself as a starting QB and if not in NO then it will be elsewhere.

I think the Saints more or less have an understanding. But you may be right and he would play out his contract.

I think he was willing to be that every position man while it was his doorway to starting. If the Saints and pass over him for JW, as an example, and close that door they would have to wonder how enthusiastic he will be to put his body at risk next year. It might be in their interest to trade him.

You may be right. We will just have to wait and see what happens next.

My guess is
  • The team will change substantially with several new parts, not just the QB
  • I don't think there is a seamless way to transition away from Drew.
  • We need to moderate our expectations for 2021
  • I wonder if there are some teams that might be interested in luring Taysom away from the Saints and if the cap space that gives the Saints might make it happen.

1. This team is not going to be substantially different beyond the QB. Maybe they lose Hendrickson or Williams. But the core will be back.

2. The Saints don’t rebuild or reset. They say that all the time and they will be competing for the division again.

3. The Saints would take on an $11.6 million cap hit by trading or cutting Taysom. Not happening.

that he views himself as a starting QB and if not in NO then it will be elsewhere.

Unless he’s planning on retiring from football, that’s not really his choice. The Saints are the only team which have given/may give him that shot.

1. This team is not going to be substantially different beyond the QB. Maybe they lose Hendrickson or Williams. But the core will be back.

2. The Saints don’t rebuild or reset. They say that all the time and they will be competing for the division again.

3. The Saints would take on an $11.6 million cap hit by trading or cutting Taysom. Not happening.

Unless he’s planning on retiring from football, that’s not really his choice. The Saints are the only team which have given/may give him that shot.

1. None of us know what Payton/Loomis will decide.
  2. None of us know if any teams might be interested in JW or TH.
  3. The saints were sufficiently concerned he could be poached that they made a 1st round tender (the only one in the league that year) and offered him a surprising contract.
  4. My only point was that getting passed over and knowing he is just biding his time until UFA can't help but dampen his enthusiasm.
  5. If they trade him I thought they could pass along the cap hit. Happy to admit I know very little about how the cap is calculated.

You know who else viewed himself as a starting quarterback?

Tim Tebow.

If Hill doesn't make some dramatic passing improvements, "Tebow" will pretty much be his ceiling.

I perfect Sean Payton will run a true 2 QB system next year. Optimize the strengths of both players, having them both on the field almost every snap.
I can see a really nice motion offense where we have Hill on the field 100% at at TE and he he can the FB/HB/WR/QB while Winston doesn't leave the field.

The predicament is to get defense in bad sets with motions. It's why I absolutely despies the whole Breew coming off the field plays. It was an ugly tell. Atleast in 2018... Brees lining at WR would only give the defense like 10 seconds to adjustm

Not sure him getting injured equates to wear and tear. All it takes is one play to get hurt.
Like the 1st playoff game that kept him out of the Tampa game when we could have used some of that Taysom magic.

I think it's strange that a lot of Jameis supporters think he'll be named the starter before preseason. Jameis will have to beat out Taysom and earn it.
Right. And people that claim taysom hill is not a QB are wrong. That’s his position. Played it in college.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom