If Taysom is not QB... (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
can he handle 'going back' to his role?

i will assume he felt like he got a fair shake coming in relief of Drew - and hopefully he has an honest assessment of how he did (not super well)
if he gets beat out by Jameis or Stafford or whomever for next year's QB1, will he be able to go back to being TE/FB/WR/ST/QB?
that would be tough

I guess we will find out in 2022 if he stays in N.O. Taysom is probably too much a team first guy to publicly get upset at his role.

can he handle 'going back' to his role?

i will assume he felt like he got a fair shake coming in relief of Drew - and hopefully he has an honest assessment of how he did (not super well)
if he gets beat out by Jameis or Stafford or whomever for next year's QB1, will he be able to go back to being TE/FB/WR/ST/QB?
that would be tough
Yes, I think so. He's making damn good money and has pretty much revolutionized the league with is willingness and ability to play so many positions. Imagine the career someone like Tim Tebow could have had if he didn't have that massive ego that wouldn't let him humble himself to just being a great football player instead of a crappy quarterback...

Taysom should be evaluated for what he has done, but more important, for what he can do.

People tend to evaluate him as he was a finished product. He is not.

If Coach Payton thinks that he can improve his accuracy and reading defences (like, for example, Josh Allen has done this year), then he will have a chance as the starter next year.

And the same goes with Jamies if we can afford to sign him. Coach Payton should know if he will be able to read the defences better and also to avoid turnovers.

Taysom should be evaluated for what he has done, but more important, for what he can do.

If Coach Payton thinks that he can improve his accuracy and reading defences (like, for example, Josh Allen has done this year), then he will have a chance as the starter next year.

And the same goes with Jamies if we can afford to sign him. Coach Payton should know if he will be able to read the defences better and also to avoid turnovers.

But can someone who will be over 30 when the new season starts change their ways? For example, fumbling has been his problem all season, not just when he was starting at QB.

I guess we will find out in 2022 if he stays in N.O. Taysom is probably too much a team first guy to publicly get upset at his role.
and honestly my question came from realizing i only saw one pic of Taysom on the sidelines sunday seemingly apart from other players - and Jameis always next to drew on the bench
obviously i am over-analyzing on 2 scraps on info, but it did lead me to think about how hard it would be going from almost grand poobah to 'one of the guys'

and honestly my question came from realizing i only saw one pic of Taysom on the sidelines sunday seemingly apart from other players - and Jameis always next to drew on the bench
obviously i am over-analyzing on 2 scraps on info, but it did lead me to think about how hard it would be going from almost grand poobah to 'one of the guys'

I could be wrong, but I think that has to do with NFL protocols about where inactive players have to be.

Yes, I think so. He's making damn good money and has pretty much revolutionized the league with is willingness and ability to play so many positions. Imagine the career someone like Tim Tebow could have had if he didn't have that massive ego that wouldn't let him humble himself to just being a great football player instead of a crappy quarterback...
I don't think Tebow could do half of the stuff that Taysom can could so.

So we're comparing a first round draft pick, someone who is young at that, to a 30 year old guy trying learn the position still...Taysom isn't L. Jackson, J. Allen, no one like that!!!

A lot of this board seems to think that Jameis has the edge over Taysom being the next quarterback. Taysom's first four games were better than Jameis' first four. The money is on Taysom.....he'll have to be beaten in preseason.....it might come down to preseason turnovers between the two.

Taysom Hill is truly unique... a legitimate “utility QB”.
For all the comparisons folks have made to Tebow and even Kordell Stewart, neither of those guys were nearly as versatile and multi-talented as Taysom Hill. Hill is already worth the money the Saints paid him... He’s a backup QB that can win games when needed to start, he’s a receiving threat as a WR, RB, and TE that has to be respected... he’s a running threat as a QB and/or RB... he’s a very solid blocker as a FB, H-Back, or TE... and he’s a skilled special teams player that can block punts, gunner on kickoffs, and a KR if needed as well!

Whether he is the starting QB or not... Taysom Hill makes the team a better team.

I'm a TH7 fan. Real team player and spark plug. I was glad to finally see him with extensive playing time at the QB position, as I just didn't know what he brings to the table in terms of longer-term potential. As a TH7 fan, I was pleasantly surprised, but not blown away. My biggest fear is that his joker/jack of all trades (JOAT) playing style would not be conducive to an entire season playing QB without injury. He seems to have struck a balance between playing smart and playing aggressive at the QB position, so I feel better about that. His biggest knock still seems to be reading the D. But that can be fixed with coaching and more game experience. And isn't that the same knock on Jameis? Although his "fix" is probably tied to coaching, as Jameis has plenty of game experience.

This team has gone 8-1 with backup QBs in the past 2 seasons. I think we'll be contenders with either QB at the helm next season. The only question in MY mind, is which one CSP will prefer, and how long it will take for him to "elevate" that QB to a higher level. We've been spoiled by DB9....and our frame of reference has been spoiled by watching a GOAT over the past 14 seasons. That's once in a lifetime stuff, and it's not realistic to replace a GOAT with another GOAT. But I think we'll be okay if our QB is in the top 10 of active starters. JMO...

No training camp or preseason games to get reps at QB. Thrusted into starting QB position during a pivotal playoff run stretch. Completed almost 73% of his passes on 120 pass attempts. Accounted for 8 TDs in those 4 games. Finished with a 3-1 record. Plus, that’s not even factoring in the Super Duper Vanilla Show Good Sportsmanship Playcalling against the Broncos. For a guy who has never had anything remotely close to true “in game” QB play, TH7 exceeded expectations. Full disclosure: Yes, I am a huge TH7 fan and a Winston fan (I was actually defending Winston on SR even when most of you were hating on him as the Bucs QB). What we should all realize, is that we have two good options, post HOF QB era. However, don’t just assume that one will automatically get the job and the other has no shot bc he’s 30 years old and didn’t set the NFL ablaze a la Pat Mahomes.

I don't think Hill has that attitude, he seems like a Team guy which is why he played those positions (Special Teams, H-back, TE, WR etc) he is going into camp next year competing for an open QB position that's all Payton owes Hill is the opportunity to compete.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom