If Taysom is not QB... (2 Viewers)

No training camp or preseason games to get reps at QB. Thrusted into starting QB position during a pivotal playoff run stretch. Completed almost 73% of his passes on 120 pass attempts. Accounted for 8 TDs in those 4 games. Finished with a 3-1 record. Plus, that’s not even factoring in the Super Duper Vanilla Show Good Sportsmanship Playcalling against the Broncos. For a guy who has never had anything remotely close to true “in game” QB play, TH7 exceeded expectations. Full disclosure: Yes, I am a huge TH7 fan and a Winston fan (I was actually defending Winston on SR even when most of you were hating on him as the Bucs QB). What we should all realize, is that we have two good options, post HOF QB era. However, don’t just assume that one will automatically get the job and the other has no shot bc he’s 30 years old and didn’t set the NFL ablaze a la Pat Mahomes.
I’ll put my neck on the line and say he has no shot. There are too many aspects that aren’t good enough for him to be starting qb for any NFL team. Zero pocket awareness, holds the ball too long, big fumbling problem etc. I like Hill but not as a starting quarterback. By going with Hill you’re accepting a year of mediocrity were at best we’ll scrape into the playoffs on the back of our defense. With Jameis who knows what will happen but he’s far more talented than Taysom and his upside his far bigger. In an ideal world we’ll find a way to trade for Watson or Stafford but as that seems unrealistic we have to go with Jameis if it’s between him and Hill.

I predict Sean Payton will run a true 2 QB system next year. Optimize the strengths of both players, having them both on the field almost every snap.

Last edited:
I’ll put my neck on the line and say he has no shot. There are too many aspects that aren’t good enough for him to be starting qb for any NFL team. Zero pocket awareness, holds the ball too long, big fumbling problem etc. I like Hill but not as a starting quarterback. By going with Hill you’re accepting a year of mediocrity were at best we’ll scrape into the playoffs on the back of our defense. With Jameis who knows what will happen but he’s far more talented than Taysom and his upside his far bigger. In an ideal world we’ll find a way to trade for Watson or Stafford but as that seems unrealistic we have to go with Jameis if it’s between him and Hill.
Putting your neck on the line, against someone who has never been a starting QB? Way to go out on a limb😂. Quite the gamble I must say.

Joined yesterday 🤔. Winston is that you?

Putting your neck on the line, against someone who has never been a starting QB? Way to go out on a limb😂. Quite the gamble I must say.

Joined yesterday 🤔. Winston is that you?
Not neck on the line that he won’t be QB1, neck on the line that it’s already decided who the starting quarterback will be and that there’ll be no battle between Hill and Winston as many people seem to think there will be.

But can someone who will be over 30 when the new season starts change their ways? For example, fumbling has been his problem all season, not just when he was starting at QB.
So we're comparing a first round draft pick, someone who is young at that, to a 30 year old guy trying learn the position still...Taysom isn't L. Jackson, J. Allen, no one like that!!!

I don't understand why you may think that 30 is too old to continue learning.

At that age you are matured physically and mentally, you are able to absorb a lot of information.

Steve Young was 30 when he became a starter, it took him one year to become the quarterback he was.

Listen, I am not saying Taysom is Steve Young. I am not even saying he will be started.

But to say that he is a finished project, or will not improve, just because he is 30, it is ridiculous.

One is a true QB. One is something else. Neither is a master of the position. But if my goal is to ultimately have bananas, then I'm gonna plant banana seeds. I'm not gonna plant apricot pits in the hopes they grow into bananas. Jameis is a banana seed... Whatever. It makes sense in my head 😑

I think Jameis will be the starting QB, and Taysom will still have significant snaps at QB every game without starting. Basically the same way Taysom came in the game for option plays when Drew was starting, but a lot more in 2021 season.

If Jameis realizes his potential and consistently looks like the passer on that 56 yard TD to TQS vs TB, then you have to start him. At the same time, like someone mentioned, Taysom will be on the field for half if not most plays on offense as a receiver, while Jameis QBs like the San Francisco game when they were on the field together every play in the 2nd half after Brees got hurt.

People are committed to debating this until an actual decision is made and when a decision is made people will debate again the merit of that decision. It is not even February yet.

----
yes, we're still debating Brooks vs delhomme - i don't think a decision will have any bearing on people's willingness to debate the topic

I would have to think any team that would look to sign Taysom would want to sign him to be a jack of all trades because that is were his value is. I'm not saying he can't be a solid QB for us, I just don't see a team throwing a ton of money at him to come in to be a 30 something year old starting qb whose resume is 6 games. If he was to leave the Saints it would be because someone paid him more to be a Jack of all Trades then the Saints were willing to pay. If he does not get the job, I see him being upset but also continuing his old roll like a true professional.

If it comes down to a Preseason battle between Taysom Hill and James Winston my money is on Jameis simply because he has more QB experience. He just needs to learn better care of the football and check the ball down if the initial reads aren't there.

81% Rogers
78% Taysom
75% Bridgewater
73% Taysom
72% Prescott
69% Stafford
69% Brady
67% Cousins
65% Bridgewater
64% Carr
63% Brady
59% Trubisky
55% Foles
55% Mahomes
52% Lock

When I pointed out that Taysom has the highest completion percentage in the NFL many of you scoffed and said yeah but that's against the Falcons etc.

OK, fair criticism. So how does Taysom compare to other QBs against the Falcons this year? See above

But can someone who will be over 30 when the new season starts change their ways?
It has happened in the NFL in the past. The most notable examples are QBs that came into the league relying on their legs a bit too much and had to learn to become pocket passers in their 30s -- guys like Randall Cunningham, Rich Gannon, and Marc Brunell. Could probably put Steve Young in that category as well when you follow his entire career progression from the L.A. Express to Tampa to backing up Joe Montana in the late-1980s to being the Niners' starter from 1992 on.

Going back a bit further, there have been more traditional QBs that blossomed past 30 -- Jim Plunkett, Len Dawson, and Lynn Dickey come to mind.

Last edited:
If Jameis realizes his potential and consistently looks like the passer on that 56 yard TD to TQS vs TB, then you have to start him.
Don't go by that particular play -- Tre'Quan was uncovered.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom