If the Bucs cut Gerald McCoy after the draft, should the Saints go after him? (1 Viewer)

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-...oy-contract-situation-clouds-bucs-draft-plans

The Bucs appear to be up against the cap and switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. The Bucs drafted Vea last year to play a nose tackle position a 3-4. McCoy is not showing up to offseason workouts and is owed a non-guaranteed $13 million this year.

The Saints currently have some cap room and no first round pick to sign. There appears to be a slot for a defensive lineman with prior interest in Ziggy Ansah and Robert Quinn. Ndamukong Suh remains a possibility after last year's courtship. If McCoy gets cut this should bring Suh's price down, but it also opens the possibility for a replacement for the injured Sheldon Rankins (6'2 287) while Rankins rehabs and either a rotation or other starter in our 4-3 when Rankins returns.

McCoy may have a grudge against the Bucs and would get to take it to them and knows our division. McCoy is 31 a year younger than Suh who was born in Portland Oregon and has mentioned he would like to stay on the West Coast. McCoy has been a stud for the Bucs.

What do you think of signing McCoy? Do you think he would sign to win a Superbowl with the Saints for around $8 million a year on a 1 to 2 year deal given the Rankins situation? Would you sign McCoy over Suh? Also consider Suh is bigger listed at 307 to McCoy's 280 so Suh is a better fit to play the larger defensive tackle spot alongside Rankins with Tyler Davidson gone, but we did sign Malcom Brown to play that spot who is listed at 320.

[mod edit] Good post , but paragraphs are your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It's cliche but a team really can't have enough good DL. Even with the offseason signings, if he becomes available, the Saints should take a shot at landing him. Not yet too old and still productive.

He would be an upgrade in talent but it seems wasteful having 5 startable DTs on your team when this is a zero-sum game. You also have a young guy in Stallworth that seems like a good player to cut.

In a heartbeat, but I'm not sure 8 mill a year will be enough....

McCoy had an off year last year, but with big guys, who last a little longer, it's tougher to tell if it's a real slowdown, or he just got tired of the BS and had a lesser year.

Unless we had to wildly overpay, I'd be pretty excited about getting him. We're not going to have either Rankins or Onyemata for the worst part of our schedule, and he'd be a huge get at a real position of need in September. Moreover, while we think we might get Rankins back by November, nothing is certain regarding whether he gets back in 2019 at all, or how good he''' be. We can figure out what to do with Rankins and Onyemata when they're both back.

I said this in another post yesterday. I would prefer McCoy over Suh, so heck yeah if the Bucs release McCoy we should jump on him. He should not leave the building without at least a 2 yr. deal.

I don't want Suh under any circumstances. I have a real concern about him having the same intensity level about winning, as opposed to looking like he's doing well to justify another contract.

I'd rather have McCoy than Suh. Suh didn't show much effort until the playoffs. If there is one thing that annoys the heck out of me, is a guy taking up a roster spot, making millions, and not playing hard. I'd rather a motivated guy with less talent, than a more talented guy that's lazy and doesn't give it his all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom