If the Hornets leave Shinn Wins! (1 Viewer)

MikeyF

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Attendance: 9,882

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=AiU.Ij2pdSXWWJ5VCiwr_ZG8vLYF?gid=2008011603

It is a shame that we are going to let Shinn have his way and leave New Orleans.

With the new contract the ball is in our court and apparently we don't care!

Last night attendance Seattle's game was horrible. We have a team that can vie for an NBA Championship and only 9,882 show up ...

:tombstone::tombstone::tombstone:

Hornets' deal gives OKC more options

Darnell Mayberry
The Oklahoman
Last week's news of the New Orleans Hornets renegotiating their lease to include an
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://promos.newsok.com/adx.js"></script> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"> <!-- if (!document.phpAds_used) document.phpAds_used = ','; phpAds_random = new String (Math.random()); phpAds_random = phpAds_random.substring(2,11); document.write ("<" + "script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript' src=""); document.write ("http://promos.newsok.com/adjs.php?n=" + phpAds_random); document.write ("&what=zone:487"); document.write ("&exclude=" + document.phpAds_used); if (document.referrer) document.write ("&referer=" + escape(document.referrer)); document.write (""><" + "/script>");</script> opt-out clause gives Oklahoma City more NBA options.

The Seattle SuperSonics franchise is no longer the only egg in Oklahoma City's basket.
The Hornets now have just as good a chance of finding the Ford Center as the Sonics.

Hornets owner George Shinn cleverly added a provision to his lease that mandates his
franchise average 14,735 fans from Dec. 1, 2007, through the end of next season or it's
free to walk. Judging by the Hornets' poor crowd support thus far, Shinn is in store for a
much smoother stroll than Sonics chairman Clay Bennett in his search for Oklahoma City.

http://newsok.com/article/3192435/1200356918

Last edited:
Hornets attendance falling short after 11 games

by Stephen Maloney Staff Writer
<noscript> </noscript>
NEW ORLEANS – After 11 games, the New Orleans Hornets are well behind
the average attendance needed to keep the team in New Orleans.

Under terms of an agreement reached between state officials and owner George Shinn
Jan. 9, average attendance for home games starting Dec. 1 through the 2008-09
season must be 14,735 or more.

Average attendance through Thursday is 12,667 after 9,882 fans watched the Hornets
defeat the Seattle SuperSonics 123-92 Wednesday night.

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/uptotheminute.cfm?recid=15040

give it time. Next year they will actually have a fan base to build off of. Yeah, our attendence is pretty pathetic. But it can only get better. A huge chunk of our market can not even watch the games (northshore). We have the possibly the best sports player to ever play in New Orleans (Cp3). He will go down as a hall of famer.

I agree, give it time. I went to the Laker game last week, although it was a stinker I had a good time. When I got home, the next day I had an offer for 2 for 1 tickets in the $30 section. Upper center court and I accepted the offer for the Denver game on the 28th. I pass the word as much as a can with my friends and we plan on attending some a games as a group real soon. By the way I live on the Northshore.

Shinn will have to sell the team if the Hornets have to move. He doesn't have the money to move again plus he would have to buy out Chouest(sp?). He is giving it their best shot to make it work. The deal made was a good deal for both sides. I think the Horents end up staying long term in Louisiana and the attendence figures improve especially after the Northshore gets to see the games on TV.

People are going to warm up to this team again. This could be a great market for the Hornets and right now they are doing the first thing they need to do to build a fan base; win.

Next they have got to get this network stuff worked out and they need to get the Hornets on the air not just on the North Shore but also in Missisippi and Alabama. The Saints have succeeded in making their team a regional franchise and the Hornets should follow that blue print.

What is wrong with New Orleans? whats wrong with you people? you have possibly the best team in the League, you have the population to go to the games, it shows when u have a waiting listen of 22,000 for a saints season tickets, Zephyrs Attendance is nice, and all college games are jammed packed, but we can't get out and support the only winning product in the city?
We have the best player in the league in Chris Paul and finally a team built around him to get to the championship and possibly bring New Orleans it's first big Championship and we are about to lose them?
11,663? We've seen more people at Highschool Football games, something aint being done right or maybe it really is the fact that Cox and Dish aren't airing the games so people aren't going, i have no idea how well they are advertising throughout louisiana because i don't live there anymore but usually people out there are great with word of mouth and getting into people's heads, Maybe it's the Carnival and people are worn out after it, you'd think that energy would radiate into the Arena and big crowds would show out around this time.

Very Pathetic, New Orleans is going to lose yet another Multi-Million Dollar Business that has given it virtually free advertisement through airing the games nationally for all to see that New Orleans isn't under water, on top of that the All-Star game and Hornets might even do well enough to give New Orleans World Media during the Finals.
This is just Sickening to see my beloved city falling short just 4,000 every game with tickets being the cheapest in the league and combo packages being constantly put together to get people in seats, Hornets will soon have to give away game tickets.

Oh well, Oklahoma....i know ya'll will take care of em..

Another pathetic crowd for a Hornets home game...

Hornets 96
Portland 81

Attendance: 11,006

This is inexcusable considering we have one of the best teams in the NBA!

:rant::rant::rant:

What is wrong with New Orleans? whats wrong with you people? you have possibly the best team in the League, you have the population to go to the games, it shows when u have a waiting listen of 22,000 for a saints season tickets, Zephyrs Attendance is nice, and all college games are jammed packed, but we can't get out and support the only winning product in the city?
We have the best player in the league in Chris Paul and finally a team built around him to get to the championship and possibly bring New Orleans it's first big Championship and we are about to lose them?
11,663? We've seen more people at Highschool Football games, something aint being done right or maybe it really is the fact that Cox and Dish aren't airing the games so people aren't going, i have no idea how well they are advertising throughout louisiana because i don't live there anymore but usually people out there are great with word of mouth and getting into people's heads, Maybe it's the Carnival and people are worn out after it, you'd think that energy would radiate into the Arena and big crowds would show out around this time.

Very Pathetic, New Orleans is going to lose yet another Multi-Million Dollar Business that has given it virtually free advertisement through airing the games nationally for all to see that New Orleans isn't under water, on top of that the All-Star game and Hornets might even do well enough to give New Orleans World Media during the Finals.
This is just Sickening to see my beloved city falling short just 4,000 every game with tickets being the cheapest in the league and combo packages being constantly put together to get people in seats, Hornets will soon have to give away game tickets.

Oh well, Oklahoma....i know ya'll will take care of em..

Question do you have Season Tickets to the Hornets?

The Hornets did a whole lot of advertising New Orleans in Oklahoma last year huh?

Their problem is a bad Tv deal with cox, plus alot of people feel hurt about what happened last year with the team staying in okla, when nothing was wrong with the arena.

People came back to rebuild and the Hornets basically said We don't feel the need to entertain you after dealing with Road Home, Fema, and the Insurance companies etc etc.

The economy across the nation is down New Orleans as all other major cities are feeling the pain not to mention the lasting effects of Katrina.

Blame the Hornets, heck even blame Katrina but open your mind and view the whole picture before you take New Orleans to task.

Last edited:
plus alot of people feel hurt about what happened last year with the team staying in okla, when nothing was wrong with the arena.

Umm...The State of Louisiana told the Hornets that THEY thought it was best for the Hornets to stay in Oklahoma for another season when the Hornets were ready to comeback. You should do more research on this.

Blame the Hornets, heck even blame Katrina but open your mind and view the whole picture before you take New Orleans to task.

As much as I hate to say it, you are wrong. The fact that New Orleans cannot pack the place and we have the BEST team in the league right now...is pathetic. Katrina is not an excuse anymore....I have been to 7 games and I have tickets to 7 more. I cant afford season tickets but I'm doing what I can. It is time for New Orleans to step it up....

Umm...The State of Louisiana told the Hornets that THEY thought it was best for the Hornets to stay in Oklahoma for another season when the Hornets were ready to comeback. You should do more research on this.

No one asked the fans lol and the city of New Orleans my friend lol. Read in between the lines Money made the difference there. Ironic we land the Allstar 08 game after that announcement huh?

Out takes form an article..... on insidehoops.com

While the NBA and the Hornets remain committed to returning to New Orleans, we have agreed with Louisiana and SMG officials that, for now, our collective interests are best served by having the team play the bulk of its 2006-07 schedule in Oklahoma City,” Stern said. “However, we are hopeful that the team will be in a position to return to New Orleans full time beginning in the 2007-08 season.”

In addition, Stern announced that the league will enter exclusive negotiations with city and state officials to hold the 2008 NBA All Star Game in New Orleans.

“From everything we have seen and heard, we have little doubt that New Orleans will soon regain its place among the world’s premiere cities for hosting major sporting events,” Stern said. “Therefore, I have committed to Governor Blanco that we will immediately begin exclusive negotiations with her representatives to bring the NBA’s signature event, the 2008 All Star Game, to New Orleans.”

Last edited:
As much as I hate to say it, you are wrong. The fact that New Orleans cannot pack the place and we have the BEST team in the league right now...is pathetic. Katrina is not an excuse anymore....I have been to 7 games and I have tickets to 7 more. I cant afford season tickets but I'm doing what I can. It is time for New Orleans to step it up....

Tell that Katrina is not an exuse to the people in the lower 9th ward lakefront/ Gentilly areas.Parts of St Benard Parish and still effected parts of the Northshore.

Family and housing are prorities number one. Foreclosures at a record high across the country. Lack of quality heath care locally please, lets not go to education.

People will go when they can. We earned that right Shinn made his money in OKL 2 seasons in a row, calm down.

Oh by the way...
Best team today lose 4 games and your in 8TH PLACE.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom