If the report on Asante is true....... (1 Viewer)

kenny59715

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Do you think our defense should switch to more of a cover 2 scheme.

I know Asante can play man, but his bread and butter is reading and reacting to the QB. You cannot do this as much in a man scheme, if you do....well....see Jason David's stats for '07.

Both David and Asante are not just good but great at sitting on routes and reacting to the QB. If they were playing in a cover 2 scheme they would have help over the top and could keep their head in the backfield to jump routes.

This is just a though I had, especially since the only player on our team now that WAS capable of covering man-to-man will be recovering from major knee surgery at an older than ideal age for his position.

I wouldn't mind them moving to more of a cover 2 scheme. You could have JD and Asante at corner and move MM to safety to replace Bullocks. This would still allow you to move Harper into the box during blitzing and running situations and you would have a guy back there in MM that has proven that he can cover and stay deeper than everyone. This would also benefit MM since I am sure he will be a step or two slower after he rehabs.

What are your opinions?

If this is true you could make some huge moves come draft day. Detroit is shopping Rogers but they want a 2nd or 3rd for him. The Saints could drop down to 15 (Detroits pick) and give the Lions the 10th pick for Rogers. Moving down 5 spots is valued at 250 pts which is equal to the 4th pick in the 3rd round. This would put the Saints in prime position to go LB in the 1st and 2nd. Just these moves alone would change our defense dramatically. It would address the LB's, CB's, DT, and S issues that we currently have.

This could be our starting Def lineup
DE.....Smith, Grant
DT......S. Rogers (from Det. moving down 5 piece of work in 1st), H. Thomas
WLB.......Rivers (pick 15 1st round)
MLB........J. Mayo (pick 41 2nd round)
SLB.......Fujita
CB.........Samuel, J. David
SS..........Harper
FS...........M. McKenzie

Do you think our defense should switch to more of a cover 2 scheme.

I know Asante can play man, but his bread and butter is reading and reacting to the QB. You cannot do this as much in a man scheme, if you do....well....see Jason David's stats for '07.

Both David and Asante are not just good but great at sitting on routes and reacting to the QB. If they were playing in a cover 2 scheme they would have help over the top and could keep their head in the backfield to jump routes.

This is just a though I had, especially since the only player on our team now that WAS capable of covering man-to-man will be recovering from major knee surgery at an older than ideal age for his position.

I wouldn't mind them moving to more of a cover 2 scheme. You could have JD and Asante at corner and move MM to safety to replace Bullocks. This would still allow you to move Harper into the box during blitzing and running situations and you would have a guy back there in MM that has proven that he can cover and stay deeper than everyone. This would also benefit MM since I am sure he will be a step or two slower after he rehabs.

What are your opinions?

Im not the Brightest bulb in the lamp but how can you run cover two with your safety in the box? Cover 2= 2 Covering

i don't want highsmith, he runs a 4.96

where has any article ever said asante samuel is a cover 2 corner? did the patriots ever run cover 2?

and we aren't moving MM to saftey..

I don't even know why more defenses switch to cover 2. I'm not an expert at all but I think cover 2 defense will create more opportunities for interceptions especially the ones that can be returned for a TD.

i don't want highsmith, he runs a 4.96

where has any article ever said asante samuel is a cover 2 corner? did the patriots ever run cover 2?

and we aren't moving MM to saftey..

The pats run a lot of cover two. Also if you have ever watched his style of play it is always with his head in the backfield eyeing the QB. That is how he gets the majority of his interceptions, by jumping a route when the QB makes a move his way. I also heard on NFL live yesterday that Samuel would be a great fit in TB because of their scheme (Tampa 2, which is a cover 2 variation).

Oh yea, and to the wise guy that said a cover 2 wouldn't have a safety in the box, what do you think Indi does with their stud safety? He is always in the box making plays in running situations, oh and what defense do they play? Yep, Tampa 2.

Im not the Brightest bulb in the lamp but how can you run cover two with your safety in the box? Cover 2= 2 Covering
yup

tampa2.gif

i like what the idea of changing to cover 2,,, every time i read about a CB thread, one main point ppl always address is "does he play man-to-man".. MM is great in man-to-man, but does that make him an automatic great cover 2 player? Yes i do think so. But not the other way though. also, since our Saints are knows to have a not so good secondary, why arent they playing cover 2, isnt it safer to have 2 def covering the each corner? rather than have Moss or CJ run right pass our CB and beat him down deep!,,, for real, why haven't they switched yet ?

This is the basic setup for the cover 2 defense, but like any defensive scheme, there are variations of it due to opponents set, down and distance, and blitzing\coverage schemes. Look at TB and Indi, they are the perfect examples of this. If D. Brooks blitzes who covers his zone? Thats right the safety on that side and the other safety is playing cover 1. This is why I think that MM would make a good free safety in this scheme. He has the speed and awareness to make plays at that position. Harper has proven to be an effective blitzer, hell he was the best one last year, and by having MM as a safety valve you could send Harper after the QB with a bit more confidence.

This is the basic setup for the cover 2 defense, but like any defensive scheme, there are variations of it due to opponents set, down and distance, and blitzing\coverage schemes. Look at TB and Indi, they are the perfect examples of this. If D. Brooks blitzes who covers his zone? Thats right the safety on that side and the other safety is playing cover 1. This is why I think that MM would make a good free safety in this scheme. He has the speed and awareness to make plays at that position. Harper has proven to be an effective blitzer, hell he was the best one last year, and by having MM as a safety valve you could send Harper after the QB with a bit more confidence.

Your right there are variations to it, but it wouldn't be called cover to anymore if you blitz your FS. As soon as a WR would see the FS go...he would turn upfield and there is no help over the top. If you blitzed your FS you would have to go man/man on that side thus turning your defense into a Man weak cover 2 strong. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's very unorthodox. Also...MM isn't going to just go play FS...this isn't Madden 08. He's a top corner in the league, he wouldn't consider such a move until he's proven he can't cover anymore. He's still among the best corners in the league.

We already played a good deal of Cover 2 last year.

I still think we'll draft DRC... I also think Moss will go to the Vikings who are on our schedule and Mushin Muhhamad will go back to the Panthers along side of Steve Smith. With DRC and Asante as the corners trade JD and a draft pick for Shaun Rodgers and a late pick for Vilma our defense will be in the top 5... We will trade out the 10th spot and move to 13th or 14th and select DRC.

We already played a good deal of Cover 2 last year.

I only listen to the games on the radio. Whats your take on it. How did we do. Do you think its possible with the new personnel we are bringing in that this would be a more common scheme for us?

I only listen to the games on the radio. Whats your take on it. How did we do. Do you think its possible with the new personnel we are bringing in that this would be a more common scheme for us?

I think Samuel would do well in either scheme. More common then last year? Maybe. We don't have the pass rush (that could change this offseason) or the Safties (likely not to change) to use the Cover 2 as a base. But we did use it a good deal in the first half of the season. The last few games we got desperate and started manning up and blitzing alot. So we'll see what we do more of. I don't think David's problems had to do with the scheme. I think he was just mentally jacked up and made way to many mistakes that put him outa position. So going to the Cover 2 doesn't mean David is "fixed" IMO.

Oregeron is a bigtime aggressive D-line coach. Now we are looking to bring in Samuel, who is a good CB, but excels playing the QB. So who knows. We might be planning to run alot more zone then we all think is possible.

Cover 2 usually requires much less from your corners than man to man. Their main responsibility is just to cover the flats and play the run. If we were going to switch to a Cover 2 I wouldn't see the point in spending a bunch of money on a corner. Asante plays really well in man to man defense, and if we sign him I think it just cements the thought that we will continue to predominately play man to man...Just my thoughts...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom