If the Saints are going to bring anyone up from the PS, it should be... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Chase Lyman! I've seen a bunch of posts calling for Jamal Branch to be called up to the 53, and I have to say I disagree. While Branch showed some pretty good things late in preseason games, he doesn't offer as much as Stecker.

Now take a look at our WR corps. Sure Horn and Colston have been great, but look beyond those 2. Henderson has basically disappeared like a fart in the wind, and Copper has taken his spot as the #3 WR. Copper is a good STer, but he's not exactly scaring anyone lined up in the slot. Then you have Jamal Jones...

Chase Lyman has the hands and the size to come in and contribute right away for us (especially in the red-zone). He's another big target, and he has sneaky speed to go along with good strength. He's showing that he is healthy now, and IMHO, if we released Jamal Jones he would clear waivers and we could add him back to our PS. Then, if Chase were to get hurt, we could just move Jones back up.

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We don't know how he is doing at practice, but, if he had improved since training camp, I would not be surprised to see him before the end of the season, specially if we don't start to see more production of Devery Henderson. I think Lyman is more of the type of receiver the coach likes then Devery. He wants big receivers who will catch everything thrown to him.

The return of Michael Lewis can help Lyman also, since he will not play special teams.

Super Dad

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Thats risky but as impressed as I was with Jones early on in the season I think it may be time to make the move with Lyman to see if he can be our #3 or 4WR

pancho

Superbowl by '08
Reaction score
Did I miss something here? Who are they going to cut to bring someone new in?

Farb

Brave Sir Robbin
Reaction score
Wouldn't the coaches have brought up Lyman when Devery went down to begin with if he was the answer instead of going out and getting Copper?

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Wouldn't the coaches have brought up Lyman when Devery went down to begin with if he was the answer instead of going out and getting Copper?
I don't think devery being hurt had anything to do with him not playing. He had a simple bruised shoulder. Hardly a 5 week injury.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes they must of not decided whether devery is the guy or not yet so they kept him around. Plus we had to bring Lewis up first.

Now that hes back we may see some more cuts.

Rudy

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Chase Lyman! I've seen a bunch of posts calling for Jamal Branch to be called up to the 53, and I have to say I disagree. While Branch showed some pretty good things late in preseason games, he doesn't offer as much as Stecker.
I think Branch is a much better runner than Stecker. I like Stecker, but Branch runs with power.

OP
DownWithDisease

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
I think Branch is a much better runner than Stecker. I like Stecker, but Branch runs with power.
Branch looked really good against teams' 3rd string defenses in the PRE-season. Plus, I remember him having a bit of fumblitis as well.

Did I miss something here? Who are they going to cut to bring someone new in? .
In the original post I suggested releasing Jones... waiting until he cleared waivers (which I believe would happen), and then re-sign him to the practice squad.

Danneaux

Proud NRA Member
Reaction score
Chase Lyman!
Chase Lyman has the hands and the size to come in and contribute right away for us (especially in the red-zone). He's another big target, and he has sneaky speed to go along with good strength. He's showing that he is healthy now, and IMHO, if we released Jamal Jones he would clear waivers and we could add him back to our PS. Then, if Chase were to get hurt, we could just move Jones back up.

Agree with everything except the sneaky speed part. Merely a few months after his knee surgery he ran a 4.46 at the combine.

There's nothing sneaky about that, thats plain fast.

Mr.Saintsfan

In Loving Memory
Reaction score
I agree 100% DWD. I'd like to see a viable 3rd receiver out there. I was impressed by Devery early on but he can't stay on the field now.....for whatever reason.

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the old forum there was a thread discussing if the saints will look for a receiver early in next year's draft. My answer was that it will all depend on the development of Lyman.

We don't know a thing about Chase or other players that are in the practice squad. This would be a great question for Mike Detillier: How is Chase doing and if he thinks there is a chance we will see him in a game this season.

We have been able to desguise the need of a third receiver and a tight end with the passes to Reggie, but certainly we will need more production from different receivers in the second half of the season.

The best games of Drew Brees is when he is able to spread the ball. Teams will be focusing more on Colston and Joe now, and that is not good news for us.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would love to see Lyman brought up, we have to try something cause were getting no production out of the #3 slot and Lyman had a 19.3 average in college, he gets deep, but there is something he is not doing that warrants him still being on the PS...Henderson, Jones, and Copper have all disappeared when called upon, cooper is a great special teamer so i know his place on this team, Henderson is a viable #3 but just hasnt done anything since the injury and Jones...well what does he do besides cause Bree's to throw picks? they should give Lyman a chance.

OP
DownWithDisease

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
In the old forum there was a thread discussing if the saints will look for a receiver early in next year's draft. My answer was that it will all depend on the development of Lyman.

We don't know a thing about Chase or other players that are in the practice squad. This would be a great question for Mike Detillier: How is Chase doing and if he thinks there is a chance we will see him in a game this season.
It was your post that you're referring to there, that got me thinking so much about this. This would be a great question for Mike D. Hopefully someone will ask it. I've posted a ton of questions to him through this site, but he never replies to mine. Does Mike D. really have inside info on the Saints, or is just a football guy?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Any Saints Fans going to Vegas next weekend ? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
New Orleans Saints favored going into week one matchup hosting the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Second look: Where did the Saints come up short in Monday night loss to Raiders? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints snap counts analysis, Week 2: Rookies didn't see much action vs. Raiders SR News Page Articles 0
Saints, Sean Payton reportedly fined $350K total for failure to wear face coverings on sideline Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' snap counts: A look at the wide receivers, general defensive snaps against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints What i learned from the Saints loss Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
saintsfan777 Just passed the Saints team busses Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 11
Andrus So maybe a healthy Michael Thomas is kind of important for the Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Should we be concerned about Drew Brees and the Saints? SR News Page Articles 0
Saints stumble but still own NFC South lead after Week 2; here's what to know, what's next Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints take a tumble in Week 3 Power Rankings Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Clintonrebel I'm taking the Saints over the Pack Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 11
The Saints are saving Taysom Hill for something, but what? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Week 2: The Good, the Bad, the...Ugly Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Saints don’t look like the Saints, as they drop Week 2 game in Las Vegas, 34-24. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 22: Fallout from the Saints’ week 2 game against the Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton: Saints’ offense is “average at best” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees explains momentum-swinging interception in Saints loss: 'Shouldn't have thrown it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Saints offense: “Not even close to what we’re capable of” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees: Job is to direct Saints, not rack up air yards Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Who did Saints turn to without Michael Thomas? Tre'Quan Smith, Alvin Kamara and little else Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Drew Brees acts his age in off-target loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Let's just hope a certain saying holds true for the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
What we learned, what is trending and final thoughts from the Saints 34-24 loss in Las Vegas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Raiders score 24 unanswered points to top Saints in first-ever Las Vegas game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: 2 games in, Saints make it clear they have ways to go to reach Super Bowl dreams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After fast start, Saints stumble in humbling loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Postgame on Saints Loss to Raiders in Week 2 | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Postgame Show | Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints have not gone 2-0 since 2013 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Derek Carr tosses three touchdowns as Raiders win Las Vegas debut 34-24 over Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Raiders power past Saints in Allegiant Stadium debut SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Saints defense prevents 100 yard rusher yet again Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 25
Blessedog The Raiders played Saints Football and Won Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Watch: Saints rookie tight end Adam Trautman catches first NFL pass against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
17 all: Saints at Raiders 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Raiders tie Saints 17-17 with 10 points in final 1:44 of first half Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Whodat GT N/S SR community to the rescue: I´m looking for a long lost friend and Saints fan. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Saints vs. Raiders: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders inactive lists: Michael Thomas no, Cesar Ruiz yes. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders: Michael Thomas officially inactive, 3 rookies to debut for New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bill Update Saints are wearing their Color Rush uniforms tonight!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Week 1 standouts Margus Hunt and Bennie Fowler III called up from practice squad for Saints vs. Raiders game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints @ Bucs SNF Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Update: Cantrell allows High School Football to start with some fans @ games. Still no word on Saints Games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Saints vs. Raiders: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Droopy Saints Captains' Families HYPED Send-Off to Fathers Ahead of Week 2 at Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Las Vegas welcomes the Saints against all odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0