If the Saints are going to bring anyone up from the PS, it should be... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Chase Lyman! I've seen a bunch of posts calling for Jamal Branch to be called up to the 53, and I have to say I disagree. While Branch showed some pretty good things late in preseason games, he doesn't offer as much as Stecker.

Now take a look at our WR corps. Sure Horn and Colston have been great, but look beyond those 2. Henderson has basically disappeared like a fart in the wind, and Copper has taken his spot as the #3 WR. Copper is a good STer, but he's not exactly scaring anyone lined up in the slot. Then you have Jamal Jones...

Chase Lyman has the hands and the size to come in and contribute right away for us (especially in the red-zone). He's another big target, and he has sneaky speed to go along with good strength. He's showing that he is healthy now, and IMHO, if we released Jamal Jones he would clear waivers and we could add him back to our PS. Then, if Chase were to get hurt, we could just move Jones back up.

We don't know how he is doing at practice, but, if he had improved since training camp, I would not be surprised to see him before the end of the season, specially if we don't start to see more production of Devery Henderson. I think Lyman is more of the type of receiver the coach likes then Devery. He wants big receivers who will catch everything thrown to him.

The return of Michael Lewis can help Lyman also, since he will not play special teams.

Thats risky but as impressed as I was with Jones early on in the season I think it may be time to make the move with Lyman to see if he can be our #3 or 4WR

Did I miss something here? Who are they going to cut to bring someone new in?

Wouldn't the coaches have brought up Lyman when Devery went down to begin with if he was the answer instead of going out and getting Copper?

Wouldn't the coaches have brought up Lyman when Devery went down to begin with if he was the answer instead of going out and getting Copper?

I don't think devery being hurt had anything to do with him not playing. He had a simple bruised shoulder. Hardly a 5 week injury.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes they must of not decided whether devery is the guy or not yet so they kept him around. Plus we had to bring Lewis up first.

Now that hes back we may see some more cuts.

Chase Lyman! I've seen a bunch of posts calling for Jamal Branch to be called up to the 53, and I have to say I disagree. While Branch showed some pretty good things late in preseason games, he doesn't offer as much as Stecker.

I think Branch is a much better runner than Stecker. I like Stecker, but Branch runs with power.

I think Branch is a much better runner than Stecker. I like Stecker, but Branch runs with power.

Branch looked really good against teams' 3rd string defenses in the PRE-season. Plus, I remember him having a bit of fumblitis as well.

Did I miss something here? Who are they going to cut to bring someone new in? .

In the original post I suggested releasing Jones... waiting until he cleared waivers (which I believe would happen), and then re-sign him to the practice squad.

Chase Lyman!
Chase Lyman has the hands and the size to come in and contribute right away for us (especially in the red-zone). He's another big target, and he has sneaky speed to go along with good strength. He's showing that he is healthy now, and IMHO, if we released Jamal Jones he would clear waivers and we could add him back to our PS. Then, if Chase were to get hurt, we could just move Jones back up.

Agree with everything except the sneaky speed part. Merely a few months after his knee surgery he ran a 4.46 at the combine.

There's nothing sneaky about that, thats plain fast.

I agree 100% DWD. I'd like to see a viable 3rd receiver out there. I was impressed by Devery early on but he can't stay on the field now.....for whatever reason.

In the old forum there was a thread discussing if the saints will look for a receiver early in next year's draft. My answer was that it will all depend on the development of Lyman.

We don't know a thing about Chase or other players that are in the practice squad. This would be a great question for Mike Detillier: How is Chase doing and if he thinks there is a chance we will see him in a game this season.

We have been able to desguise the need of a third receiver and a tight end with the passes to Reggie, but certainly we will need more production from different receivers in the second half of the season.

The best games of Drew Brees is when he is able to spread the ball. Teams will be focusing more on Colston and Joe now, and that is not good news for us.

I would love to see Lyman brought up, we have to try something cause were getting no production out of the #3 slot and Lyman had a 19.3 average in college, he gets deep, but there is something he is not doing that warrants him still being on the PS...Henderson, Jones, and Copper have all disappeared when called upon, cooper is a great special teamer so i know his place on this team, Henderson is a viable #3 but just hasnt done anything since the injury and Jones...well what does he do besides cause Bree's to throw picks? they should give Lyman a chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom