If the Saints fail to make the playoffs, but Jameis Winston put up the following numbers (1 Viewer)

4,457 passing yards,33 TD passes 13 ints
Do they re-sign him?

Ummmm yes. We will be extremely lucky if he comes anywhere close to that. Those numbers are in Brees territory

It's hard to believe that he puts up those numbers and we don't make the playoffs. There would have to be a total collapse on D. There's no way he resigns just a one-year deal with numbers like that and no team would let a QB with those numbers walk out the door thinking we can just find a cheaper rookie replacement.
I really think Brady and Mahomes have distorted the way we view the QB market. Drew was paid market value even before we won a ring and Brady has won half of the Superbowls over the past 10 years but took team-friendly deals. I don't get why people keep acting like we are not going to have to pay a QB (whether it's Taysom or Jameis).
Fair enough

4,457 passing yards,33 TD passes 13 ints
Do they re-sign him?

If he puts up those numbers, no way we miss playoffs unless all those interceptions are pick 6s to end the game. I can then only imagine what that alone would do to ruin their confidence.

It is too subjective on how the numbers came about. You can have those numbers and they were all garbage time, as others pointed out and have most of the INTs really detrimental INTS (even though low #). Any QB could have those numbers but have 45% completion rate, horrible 3rd down conversion %, horrible 1st conversion rate and they are padded stats. It wouldn't even have to be a tanking defense to not make playoffs, it could be horrible 2nd half football on offense or the offense dug a DEEP hole in the 1st half of football causing them to still lose the game, but have padded stats playing catch up. Too many variables. It doesn't matter what his stats are but how did the QB handle the games and were they the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Wins trump stats 90% of the time if that player truly contributed a large portion to the win or more importantly DIDN'T contribute to the loss.

It is too subjective on how the numbers came about. You can have those numbers and they were all garbage time, as others pointed out and have most of the INTs really detrimental INTS (even though low #). Any QB could have those numbers but have 45% completion rate, horrible 3rd down conversion %, horrible 1st conversion rate and they are padded stats. It wouldn't even have to be a tanking defense to not make playoffs, it could be horrible 2nd half football on offense or the offense dug a DEEP hole in the 1st half of football causing them to still lose the game, but have padded stats playing catch up. Too many variables. It doesn't matter what his stats are but how did the QB handle the games and were they the reason we didn't make the playoffs. Wins trump stats 90% of the time if that player truly contributed a large portion to the win or more importantly DIDN'T contribute to the loss.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking, he does well enough, but the defense does nothing so we still get a loss.
We may have seen that in the past...

I'm assuming your #'s are for a 17 game season. If they are not, JW would have been the #5 QB last year in passing yards, sandwiched between #6 Josh Allen and #4 Matty Ice. He would have been #7 in TDs.

To convert your numbers to a 16 game season for comparison purposes, I subtract the average yards/game of 262 yard from your 4457 to get 4195 yards in a 16 game season.

This would put JW at #10 in the overall ranks for last season; almost a dead heat with Philip Rivers.

Using the same reasoning, JW would also be #10 in TD's.

I guess we could do worse. Andy Dalton and Drew Lock will be available. :)

Ummmm yes. We will be extremely lucky if he comes anywhere close to that. Those numbers are in Brees territory
That’s not just Brees Territory, but Prime Efficient Brees territory. That is less than a 2% INT rate. Brees only done that 7 season out of 20.

He accomplished 4 of them because he changed his game due to his arm strength. In Brees big arm prime was hovering around 2.4% INT rate. That's kind of the goal for a good gun slinger.

Depends on how they view other players at the position. I don't think the Saints are in a position or in a hurry to have another 20 million dollar QB.

I'm assuming your #'s are for a 17 game season. If they are not, JW would have been the #5 QB last year in passing yards, sandwiched between #6 Josh Allen and #4 Matty Ice. He would have been #7 in TDs.

To convert your numbers to a 16 game season for comparison purposes, I subtract the average yards/game of 262 yard from your 4457 to get 4195 yards in a 16 game season.

This would put JW at #10 in the overall ranks for last season; almost a dead heat with Philip Rivers.

Using the same reasoning, JW would also be #10 in TD's.

I guess we could do worse. Andy Dalton and Drew Lock will be available. :)

I mean, including his rookie year an one year where he only started 9 games, Winston averaged almost 4,000 yards per year in Tampa and threw for over 5,000 yards one year. So, 4,500 yards in a 16 or 17 game season wouldn't be that unusual for Winston. His issue has always been interceptions and fumbles. He throws for plenty of yards.

I really think Brady and Mahomes have distorted the way we view the QB market. Drew was paid market value even before we won a ring and Brady has won half of the Superbowls over the past 10 years but took team-friendly deals. I don't get why people keep acting like we are not going to have to pay a QB (whether it's Taysom or Jameis).
Brady and Mahomes aren’t the causative factor of the distortion of the QB market, they’re symptoms of it, which is that the rookie wage scale changed the game when it comes to competing with a franchise QB. Since the 2012 season, no team with a QB on a prime contract has won a Super Bowl. The Packers are the poster child for this, having been to 4 NFCCG’s in that time period with one of the best QBs of all time and nothing to show for it.

Brady and Mahomes aren’t the causative factor of the distortion of the QB market, they’re symptoms of it, which is that the rookie wage scale changed the game when it comes to competing with a franchise QB. Since the 2012 season, no team with a QB on a prime contract has won a Super Bowl. The Packers are the poster child for this, having been to 4 NFCCG’s in that time period with one of the best QBs of all time and nothing to show for it.
I'm not sure I get your point. I mentioned Brady because he won with the pats since 2012 but he gave the team cap-friendly deals and I feel like Mahomes is an anomaly. Do you feel any of the recent young guns have a chance of winning a Superbowl on their rookie deal? Allen and Jackson will probably get new contracts within the next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom