If the Saints fail to make the playoffs, but Jameis Winston put up the following numbers (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure I get your point. I mentioned Brady because he won with the pats since 2012 but he gave the team cap-friendly deals and I feel like Mahomes is an anomaly. Do you feel any of the recent young guns have a chance of winning a Superbowl on their rookie deal? Allen and Jackson will probably get new contracts within the next year.
My point is that 30+million (and ever-growing) of a gap in cap space between teams that have competent quarterbacks on rookie contracts and those that are signed to prime contracts is a darn-near insurmountable competitive advantage to the former. Brady just exacerbates that because he is the GOAT with all his veteran savvy and barely taking a step back from his prime and he’s taking rookie numbers. So, I would say that as long as Mr. Bündchen remains playing and Mahomes is a human cheat code, then the others on rookie contracts probably aren’t going to win either, but that doesn’t disprove the larger point. Rebuilt Jameis would have to be >75% of Mahomes’s ability for us to sniff a chip with him on a prime contract.

My point is that 30+million (and ever-growing) of a gap in cap space between teams that have competent quarterbacks on rookie contracts and those that are signed to prime contracts is a darn-near insurmountable competitive advantage to the former. Brady just exacerbates that because he is the GOAT with all his veteran savvy and barely taking a step back from his prime and he’s taking rookie numbers. So, I would say that as long as Mr. Bündchen remains playing and Mahomes is a human cheat code, then the others on rookie contracts probably aren’t going to win either, but that doesn’t disprove the larger point. Rebuilt Jameis would have to be >75% of Mahomes’s ability for us to sniff a chip with him on a prime contract.
So what is a realistic solution? The QB remains the most important position in the NFL and salaries do not go down. I don't know the cap percentage that Drew had but he was getting top money when we won the ring. The coach and GM have spent the last 5 years building a playoff roster with younger guys, so I don't think they want to blow that to get in the range of an Allen, Fields, or Mac, and that's still a gamble because they are unknown on the pro-level. I think the best that we can hope for is that whoever wins the job does not try and break the bank on their first real deal with us.

If he had 31 TDs and 4 Ints in the first 3 quarters of play cumulative for the 17 games, then they won't re-sign him.

I've been a proponent of getting Russell next year if Jameis doesn't work out, but how great would it be to beat TB with their throw away QB? And win the SB with him?!!! The only thing that would make that better is if we could somehow rub it in Atlanta's face as well.....
If you don't think that's motivation for him, you'd probably be mistaken, especially since the perception (even on this forum where most are fairly knowledgeable) is that all the Bucs needed was Brady to win it all.

First thing, Who is banking on us to getting into the playoffs this year? It would be very hard to believe with these numbers
4,457 passing yards,33 TD passes 13 ints, we don't make the playoffs.

4,457 passing yards,33 TD passes 13 ints
Do they re-sign him?
Depends on:

Can we afford him?

Did we win?

What did he do with the game on the line?

Locker room and leadership

But yeah, I’d be thrilled with those numbers.

If he puts up those numbers and we don't make the playoffs... clearly some thing else is wrong. Sign him and get on those issues

4,457 passing yards,33 TD passes 13 ints
Do they re-sign him?
That is a Drew Brees season and I would say you would have to sign him. If Jameis has that kind of year and we don't make the playoffs then it won't be his fault.

So what is a realistic solution? The QB remains the most important position in the NFL and salaries do not go down. I don't know the cap percentage that Drew had but he was getting top money when we won the ring. The coach and GM have spent the last 5 years building a playoff roster with younger guys, so I don't think they want to blow that to get in the range of an Allen, Fields, or Mac, and that's still a gamble because they are unknown on the pro-level. I think the best that we can hope for is that whoever wins the job does not try and break the bank on their first real deal with us.
A realistic solution is Ian Book proving that he can be the guy going forward, either by winning the job this year in training camp or by winning the staff’s trust during the year in practice. You gotta think that the ghosted portion of Taysom’s contract is the baseline that either Jameis or he would be willing to take should either of them put up the numbers listed in the OP’s hypothetical while taking us to the playoffs. Then the playoff roster that you reference the FO taking five years to build goes bye bye as we’re already up against next year’s cap and Ram, Latt and others need contracts.

A realistic solution is Ian Book proving that he can be the guy going forward, either by winning the job this year in training camp or by winning the staff’s trust during the year in practice. You gotta think that the ghosted portion of Taysom’s contract is the baseline that either Jameis or he would be willing to take should either of them put up the numbers listed in the OP’s hypothetical while taking us to the playoffs. Then the playoff roster that you reference the FO taking five years to build goes bye bye as we’re already up against next year’s cap and Ram, Latt and others need contracts.
I'm sorry but I don't see him beating out either Taysom or Jameis. They can like him all they want but one of those two guys is going earn the position and want a real QB contract. If the team wants to make him the #2 after this year that up to them but TH or JW is going to get a nice 2-4 year contract with 60 to 80 million at least guaranteed and that might be too low come next year. Dak just signed and Lamar and Josh are about to get their money too.

If Winston put up those type of numbers and we miss the playoffs we have bigger problems to worry about...

If Jameis has those numbers the Saints will make the playoffs, period. And since Jameis has no problem taking risks downfield with the ball, sometimes unnecessarily, this 2021 season will have to be Payton's best coaching job to date if the Saints are gonna still be playing into January 2022.

I'm sorry but I don't see him beating out either Taysom or Jameis. They can like him all they want but one of those two guys is going earn the position and want a real QB contract. If the team wants to make him the #2 after this year that up to them but TH or JW is going to get a nice 2-4 year contract with 60 to 80 million at least guaranteed and that might be too low come next year. Dak just signed and Lamar and Josh are about to get their money too.
I have optimism in Book as potentially being someone of note. For him to start this year, you would have to have one QB totally "poop the bed" and the other get injured. With the way Hill plays, I can see him getting injured and I can see Book getting some reps...if he can beat out Siemian on the depth chart. I think we have looks at all our QBs this season in game, honestly (even if just fun scheming from CSP).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom