If this happens, would you say we are the favorites in the NFC? (1 Viewer)

St. Geezy

⚜️
Reaction score
Sign Lance Briggs, sign CB Randall Gay, trade 2 (40) for TE Jeremy Shockey, draft Antonio Rogers-Cromartie, add d-line depth in round 3.

That would be a perfect scenario in my opinion.

What about DT?

Hollis, Young, Lake, Clancy, and "d-line depth in round 3" would be adequate especially with Vilma, Briggs, and Fujita roaming behind them don't you think? Not to mention a guy on the roster by the name of Orien Harris who many should get familiar with in the near future.

I'm not sold on Shockey, especially for a high second rounder. We still could use help on the D, and I'm skeptical about a rookie CB coming in and starting for us immediately. Cromatie may well be a great CB, but it's a hard position at which to transition into the pro game.

Now trading a second for Lito Sheppard and drafting Cromatie might well be a dream scenario.

This the second time Ive heard something about the possible emergence of
<a href="http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Team/Roster/People/Orien%20Harris.aspx"><font color="#660000">Orien Harris</font></a><br> Dont remember if the 2 places were from the same person, but what makes people think he's going to be any good?

I'm not sold on Shockey, especially for a high second rounder. We still could use help on the D, and I'm skeptical about a rookie CB coming in and starting for us immediately. Cromatie may well be a great CB, but it's a hard position at which to transition into the pro game.

Now trading a second for Lito Sheppard and drafting Cromatie might well be a dream scenario.

True...In that case, who would play tight end?

Also, second rounders are over-rated in my opinion. Who exactly have we gotten in round two in recent years that has more value than Shockey? Roman Harper? Bullocks? Devery Henderson? :dunno:

I think corner would be solidified with Gay and Cromartie and a healthy Mike McKenzie around mid-season. Not to mention that with Shockey, we'd put up 28-35 points per game. He would open up so much for Colston and Bush.

This the second time Ive heard something about the possible emergence of
Orien Harris
Dont remember if the 2 places were from the same person, but what makes people think he's going to be any good?

He was a very good player in college and I think he has just been in the wrong system early on in his career. He has been with 3-4 teams and he isnt really a true nose tackle. I think he would thrive in a 4-3 and I really don't see anyone in this draft outside of Ellis and Dorsey whose grade would be much higher than his.

Nothing concrete obviously but I think he has potential. I also recall hearing quotes from either a player or coach late last season along the same lines...that this kid could be a good one.

Remember La'roi Glover bounced around quite a bit before he became a Pro Bowler.

Were we really though? And if we were, where would they play now that we have Vilma?

They could be insurance/understudies and we wouldnt have to rely on Simoneau as backups or they could adapt to other LB spots. They also might be BPA available at the time. Besides that Im just saying there might be some good prospects in the second, especially for WR where we have a need? I wouldnt give higher than a 3rd for Shockey but if the FO thinks he's worth a 2nd I cant say it wouldnt make things exciting.

Last edited:
Were we really though?

And if we were, where would they play now that we have Vilma?

Mayo has played weakside and MLB. Not sure about Lofton.

And I would hate to see Jeremy Shockey in a Saints uniform, especially at that cost.

They could be insurance/understudies and we wouldnt have to rely on Simoneau as backups or they could adapt to other LB spots. They also might be BPA available at the time. Besides that Im just saying there might be some good prospects in the second, especially for WR where we have a need?

I am with you on this one and I agree but there is no guarantee. Plus like I said, when is the last time we really hit on a second round pick.

I have said this before but not on this message board...The second round is kind of like a purgatory of draft picks. Most of the best players come either in round 1 or on day 2 or as an undrafted free agent. There are gems in round 2 for sure, but a lot of the guys picked in round 2 are players that drive you up the wall. They have talent and are super-athletic but they didn't make it into the first round for a reason and it wasn't because "they weren't discovered" like late round picks and undrafted guys. They show flashes, but they never quite put it all together. Sound familiar?

when is the last time we really hit on a second round pick.

True but isnt that the FO's fault? The elite teams create their teams in the draft finding great players in later rounds? If we are struggling in the 2nd that is telling.

There are gems in round 2 for sure, but a lot of the guys picked in round 2 are players that drive you up the wall.

Hmm sounds like our first rounders there??:ezbill:

Id like to see your OP scenario play out. I think this organization is gun shy to take big chances and give draft picks because of mistakes in the past, but if that happened, I dont think anyone here would be complaining. Its not like they would be banking everything on just one player. For those who have season tickets especially now with the price increase, what would anger us is if they dont spend more money like there are asking us now to do.

I am with you on this one and I agree but there is no guarantee. Plus like I said, when is the last time we really hit on a second round pick.

I have said this before but not on this message board...The second round is kind of like a purgatory of draft picks. Most of the best players come either in round 1 or on day 2 or as an undrafted free agent. There are gems in round 2 for sure, but a lot of the guys picked in round 2 are players that drive you up the wall. They have talent and are super-athletic but they didn't make it into the first round for a reason and it wasn't because "they weren't discovered" like late round picks and undrafted guys. They show flashes, but they never quite put it all together. Sound familiar?

You just described Josh Bullocks...haven't seen that many flashes, though.

Good point, but with the LB's and DT's, this year may be different. Also, if we sign Briggs, and that is a HUGE if, Simmons (3.5 mil in 2008) and possibly Shanle (1.5 mil in 2008) would be cut, so we need depth. It be nice to have a guy like Mayo to turn to in case of injury.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom