If we are finished in free agency are you happy with the results (1 Viewer)

you guys are a lot tougher than the national press that is giving the saints a thumbs up and usually ranking us in the top 5...how do we only have 4 cb's as someone posted? david, mckenzie, young, gay and craft are 5 at least...

If Vilma and organ were 100% healthy with no "?" regarding their health I'd give this offseason an A, but although they say they'll be ready for camp, there's still that possibility that they can reinjure (GOD forgbid)... so in essence Randall Gay and McCray may be our only offseason pickups... pretty much the same team as the last 2 years.

I am happy with what they did in FA . Vilma was it for me. I give they a B

Considering what the FO had to work with in this crappy FA market, I'd say they did very well.

Gay is a decent backup that will probably be pressed into starting. Morgan, God bless him, won't make it through camp. McCray is a decent backup. The offseason so far, is all on Vilma. He has health questions and right now, is playing behind backup quality DT's. I always have hope for the new season and hope somehow the Saints offseason moves somehow come together, but right now, we're going to see alot of what we saw last year. That wasn't good enough on defense.

I think we've had a solid offseason, as far as free agency. We are not the Redskins, and I don't wanna be. Morgan and Vilma are huge upgrades to Simoneau and Shanle, if healthy. Gay is an upgrade to David, but that ain't saying much. I hope KK is the starter at FS, or that we get a starting FS in the draft.

After surveying the field of available personnel, I conclude that we did well. For a while, it looked like Dan Morgan was going to be our "fix" at linebacker after Zach Thomas opted to sign with the Girls. If that had turned out to be the case, then the F.O. would have warranted an outcry. But getting Vilma for the pick/conditional picks that we did was very, very good.

And we resigned last year's starters as insurance for the injury concerns that Vilma and Morgan bring. Like the McCray and Gay signings - some of the better prospects at their positions after the three big names - Samuel, Briggs and Faneca. It would have been nice to acquire a better corner, but other than Samuel, they weren't on the market.

We've positioned ourselves very nicely for the draft where I think at least two positions will be upgraded, if not three.

If we somehow get Dorsey or Ellis in the draft via moving up or one dropping, then I will give this an A.

Btw, 2nd Stringer I enjoy your posts.

I think the good majority of you guys are totally underrating the signing of McCray. If we can get some real pass rush on third down passing situations, the entire defense suddenly gets better.

And included in that defense is the #2 MLB in the NFL (in my opinion) who just now happens to be on our team.

And this is all BEFORE the draft. I give it a solid B. And if Vilma comes back and contributes like I know he wants to, it gets a A+.

Gay is a decent backup that will probably be pressed into starting. Morgan, God bless him, won't make it through camp. McCray is a decent backup. The offseason so far, is all on Vilma. He has health questions and right now, is playing behind backup quality DT's. I always have hope for the new season and hope somehow the Saints offseason moves somehow come together, but right now, we're going to see alot of what we saw last year. That wasn't good enough on defense.

I tend to agree with your "back up" quality DT's. If we can land a stud DT in the draft and Vilma is healthy I think this becomes a B free agency and a possible A off season.

I like the FA signing and I think a good draft will only solidify our offseason....Dan Morgan missed most of 07 because of the achillis not the concussion problem, so he will be ready for camp....we dont know exactly how many times you have to get hit on the head to get a concussion...so I guess we will all be holding our breaths everytime he tackles someone...doesnt make it a bad signing though, because he was just a piece, a piece we all hope works well with the face of our defense (Vilma)

We got help at Corner, a pass rusher in McCrary and a Pro Bowl caliber MLB in Vilma...thats a great offseason.

Don't forget with the Browns "AMAZING" offseason and draft last year they now have zero picks on day 1 of this draft. With a few busts in there FA pickups they will be in cap hell and without a team in a few years. Its dangerous to get rid of all your draft picks as most quality teams are built in the draft and only accented with FA.

Great post second stringer, I believe you hit the nail on the head. Add to that the Addition of Coach O for the d-line, if he is as good as everyone says he is our defense will be greatly improved.

I realize we should add the draft to this discussion to see how many areas of need were filled but I wanted to get everyone's opinions.

Getting Randall Gay and Jon Vilma (if he's healthy) along with Bobby McCray upgraded the defense. I'm just not sure how much. Dan Morgan was a wasted signing IMO.

Offensively, locking up our guys was a good thing outside of Faine. I think Goodwin has just as good a year as Faine would have for a few million dollars less.

Still missing in this equation are a DT, CB, S, LB and TE.

Our needs were MLB, CB, DT, WLB, S and TE.

I'd give our free agent signings a C+ so far that could upgrade to a B+ if Vilma comes back completely healthy.

If Morgan makes it through the season in good health, I fully expect some crow to be eaten ;)

Asante Samuel and Lance Briggs were the only big names out there imho. No major losses, picked up some proven, if worn, veterans... what else could you want? You have to remember they have to make it through Camp, otherwise, no loss on a FA signing. Also, there will be at least 1 other round of signings, 2 really, and the Draft on that...

Continue focusing on D, pick up O (TE) where you can. The Saints in my opinion are in as good a shape as any team in the league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom