If we are finished in free agency are you happy with the results (1 Viewer)

So we didn't get a good pass rush, we had horrible LBs, JD was smoked any time they went deep, the safetys were having to watch the run first and pass second.....and we're going to blame them for the bad D?

The Safety is just that....a SAFETY. They shouldn't be asked to make plays every down, just clean up the trash, and there was way too much trash. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

As we can tell from the lack of activity the FO is putting into getting one.

There's also a huge difference between 'could use an upgrade' and 'need'. We in no way, shape, or form NEEDED a Safey.

MSU I would give you that Harper just completed his first full year. I think he is a bigger hitter and should continue to improve. But how long do we go with this Josh Bullocks experiment. He is continually out of position and provides little help over the top.

Safety is a need.

Safety was NEVER a need. I'm not sure where people keep getting that from.

Safety IS a need. If you don't believe me, do yourself a favor and watch this...:covri:
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYJhqDm0L-A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Gay-might be the guy we need just because he was coached to stay in one spot and play your role. In other words he will not try and be a hero.I think he beats David in TC

Vilma- QB of the defense. Enough said :worthy:

Mccray- Finally all of the talk of Grant at DT can be possible. Grant is never going to lose his weight and will be a DT by mid season.

Morgan-Not too sure because we are just lacking speed at this position. Shanle was always a hair away from dragging someone down from behind or a sack. I think we need an upgrade speed wise on 3rd down.

I am upset we did not get stroud or Kawika Mitchell. Mitchell knows about what we are obviously trying to immulate.

Safety IS a need. If you don't believe me, do yourself a favor and watch this...:covri:
<OBJECT height=355 width=425>
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYJhqDm0L-A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></OBJECT>

Yeah that is horrible. What kind of saftey takes an angle to the back of the end zone when the receiver has already caught the ball at the 10? Watch Mr Bullocks on the chad johnson td

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYJhqDm0L-A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

Totally agree, Bullocks is pretty bad. He seemed lost on a lot of those plays and he takes bad angles. I agree with MSU to some extent though. Us "experts" here at SR believe it is a need to upgrade, but it appears the Saints do not and they have said so publicly. I don't understand it, but hey, that's how it seems. Maybe it's a smokescreen and we will try to trade him at the draft, but if Kaes isn't the answer, there isn't much depth in the draft at FS.

As for free agency, I think the Saints did about as good as could be expected given the market for defensive players we're either scarce at some positions or dried up fast as soon as free agency started. And we will definitely sign a backup QB before the draft. I give it a solid B.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with our FA...we've filled some needs.

Though, I wouldn't mind maybe 2-3 more defensive FA's...1 more at CB, another at S, and possibly another LB or DT.

Also, Bullocks has to go...no way around it. I think the Saints will upgrade that spot, even though they say they like him...what are they suppose to say "yeah, this guy is horrible"? He's a Haz pick on top of that.

Beat me to it Brees4prez.

Jesus please help us. God please help us. Safety is a huge concern. do not trade the 2nd round pick.

I have said this front office was questionable and that payton was a lucky coach. the 07 season proved me right after people bashed me on it. i have then said with the moves so far we are now acknowledging our mistakes and correcting them. vilma and such.i believe that by them doing this shows maybe i have sold them short. i hope this season payton will prove me wrong and i think he will. admitting and finally correcting the defense is something that hasnt been done since 97. i think we are finally getting it together. i have shown on my eagles video that we need a DT and this video shows how bad bullocks is. of course this could be biased and we need to find a video of bullocks highlights. this video alone though hasmade me very nervous about the safety position and why didnt KK beat this guy out. Why is this front off so "HIGH" on him. maybe you have to be "HIGH" to be high on him.

If you take a look at how free agency pans out most years for most teams, you're basically lucky if you get one starting-caliber player for a decent price. Usually, teams fall into one of five categories:

1) Teams that overpay horribly for overrated talent. (Think Tampa's signing of Jeff Faine.)

2) Teams that break the bank (not overpay...there's a difference) for a bonafide superstar and hope that player will single-handedly fix a gaping hole. (Think Philadelphia's signing of Asante Samuel.)

3) Teams that break the bank repeatedly for multiple players, hoping for an immediate upgrade - a "gotta win now" strategy. (Think the Cleveland Browns...and usually the Redskins.)

4) Teams that lay low for the most part and sign a few role players or take a chance on an injured former superstar looking to regain his past glory. (Think Drew Brees in 2006.)

5) Teams that do nothing.

I believe the Saints fall into category 4 this year. Bad for a hurricane, but good in this instance. They signed some solid role players who have proven that they can start in this league.

Randall Gay is an immediate upgrade to the cornerback position even if he doesn't start, simply because he'll at least knock Fred Thomas off the team. Bobby McCray should become an integral part of a very solid defensive end rotation. Say what you will, but if you can start for the Jaguars, then you can definitely play a role for the Saints.

We also re-signed ALL of our key free agents, other than Jeff Faine who was grossly overpaid by Tampa Bay. This is especially key for our tight end/wide receiver situation. Think how Drew Brees would look had the team let go of Eric Johnson, Billy Miller, Devery Henderson, David Patten, AND Terrance Copper, not to mention Aaron Stecker. That's a lot of key players in an offense that prides itself on spreading the ball to double-digit targets each and every game.

As far as Dan Morgan goes, even if he's only a camp body I'm sure there's something he can teach some of our underachieving linebackers in his time here. Personally, I'd love to see the guy have a healthy season because I think he deserves another shot in the league. I know I always hated watching him line up for the Panthers because it generally meant bad things for our Saints.

And that brings us to Jonathan Vilma. If Vilma gets back to pre-injury status, which I think is a very good possibility considering his lack of injury history coupled with his age, he could possibly be the biggest coup of the entire 2008 free agency period league-wide. I think he's just as big of a pickup as Drew Brees was. Vilma is a true defensive quarterback, a student of the game, and the best stud linebacker this team has had in a very long time.

I salivated over this guy in 2004 and was heartbroken when he was picked two spots ahead of us. It's very rare that a team gets a second chance at a coveted draft pick this early in his career, and believe me when I say that Jonathan Vilma is the real deal. If he makes a successful comeback from injury and re-signs long-term with the Saints, 2008 must receive an A+ just because it's not often you even acquire ONE bonafide, under-30 superstar in free agency. This would make the second one for the Saints in three years.

If Vilma doesn't make a comeback (which I think unlikely), I'd still give the Saints a B, simply because they got key roleplayers without killing the salary cap. They didn't fill many huge needs, but it was mostly because the players on the market were square pegs that failed to fit into the Saints' round holes.

The FO gets a B+ for adding needs and depth. All trades were solid exept for the head scratcher around Morgan (he will not play much).

I am not sure why so many people are down on the morgan signing. it didnt cost us much. he is a stud when healthy and has some great MLB starting experience. he has a chip on his shoulder. and its not we are set at WLB with probowlers. I guess people just had their hopes up for Briggs. but no way he was coming in to play second fiddle to Vilma.

Yeah, I really don't get why people are so down on Morgan. He's very low risk, high reward. If he pans out he could be the steal of FA with Vilma being the steal of the trades.

I think he biggest difference makers this off season will be the changes in the coaching staff. I wish i had more knowledge about them but how they perform will dictate how good the off-season was. The team did not get worse this off season so its a C right now. we can still field the same team we had last year, minus Faine. The players we did sign could play well enough to make it an A if this staff can get them on the same page and working together.

If we are finished in free agency are you happy with the results

Extremely....we needed help on defense and got it. Now we have the draft coming up to keep the rebuild going.

As of now, I'd give us a B. But the potential of our signings are A+++. If Vilma comes back healthy, he's one of the top LBers on the planet. Bobby McCray is a starting level talent who seems like a budding probowler, when given the chance to play. Randel Gay is an upgrade, in my opinion, from any corner we have on our roster not named Mike Mckenzie. If we're done, I think we did pretty good. I see great potential in everyone of our moves.

A wish list on who I hope we contact before the end of FA:

Quinn Gray QB
Bryant Johnson WR
Marcus Pollard TE
Takeo Spikes LB
Rod Coleman DT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom