If we are going to make a deep playoff run in 2008, it will be because of Drew Brees (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I probably am stating the obvious here to some of you here but as long as we have Drew Brees on this team and as our QB, we are always a threat. IMHO the man is a top 5 NFL QB easy. you don't go almost .500 with no defense and yet still throw for almost 30 TDs, thats damn good, almost superhuman. If you give #9 even a mediocre Defense, he will win games. Why? Because of the offense that he leads and the way he can make a game.

and thats not easy for a QB to do, I can only think of a few others that in NFL history that were able do that. Elway was one and now I think Brees falls into that category. Pure pocket presence, he is not an overachiever, its just an uncanny ability to make plays and do it in the bizarre, most craziest fashion sometimes. Some call it being innovative, I just call it being a great QB.

so as it is the Saints will be seen as a dark horse candidate to win the NFC South this year, but I think what we will do and our success will depend on what our QB does. We go where he takes us. whether its a super human effort that will get us their, but somehow someway, before Brees retires from this team he will do something very special for this team and this city, I don't know what it is yet but it will be very very landmark.

Hell it maybe even a SB win or just to get their. My God he almost took it to us 2 years ago.

Give him a downhill running back (Deuce/PT), a decent #2 WR (Meachem/Patten), a guy to play in the slot sometimes (Reggie), and a decent, not even great, defense (hmmmm) and he could easily have us back in the NFCCG. There shouldn't be a better offense in the NFC.

.......And if we won't make a deep run, it will be because of Jason David.

Anyway, to be on topic, I agree, Brees is the man :9:.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the man, we would do nothing without him. But we have to shore up at the back. Im sick of all the huge yardage plays we gave up last season & the one before that too. Yes we are electric but the leads gotta go all the way to the end product.

Some people forget, even though we were 7-9 this year, we could have easily been 10-6 and in the playoffs and we did all that with a terrible pass defense and an o.k. run defense. Just give our offense a little more help from the D and we could easily be back in the playoffs.

The reality is Drew had a great year and we were under .500. The misnomer is that you need a good qb, and the truth is you don't Eli Manning beat Tom Brady. The truth is you need to be very good defensively and the Saints need to run the football and be committed to the run. Drew Brees only needs to throw the ball 25 times a game. When the Saints rush the ball well, they usually win. When they do well in the passing game they usually lose. I love Drew Brees and I think he is a great qb be, but he is already good. Let's get him some help on the defensive side and Sean Payton needs an offensive brain transplant so he can run the ball. No team has 3 starting rbs, except for the Saints and Sean Payton under utilized all of them.

maybe peyton and brady has stronger arms , maybe there more prototypical in terms of size ... but no one in the nfl has the pocket awareness in combination with accuracy and (quick) release like brees.... he is a rare talent and a great leader

The reality is Drew had a great year and we were under .500. The misnomer is that you need a good qb, and the truth is you don't Eli Manning beat Tom Brady. The truth is you need to be very good defensively and the Saints need to run the football and be committed to the run. Drew Brees only needs to throw the ball 25 times a game. When the Saints rush the ball well, they usually win. When they do well in the passing game they usually lose. I love Drew Brees and I think he is a great qb be, but he is already good. Let's get him some help on the defensive side and Sean Payton needs an offensive brain transplant so he can run the ball. No team has 3 starting rbs, except for the Saints and Sean Payton under utilized all of them.
I disagree, to a point. I believe we do need a DECENT defense and running game. However, I believe that Brees made the defense look good in 2006 by keeping them off the field with his game management.

Bottom line is if Brees gets injured for a large portion of the season, GAME OVER and look towards next year--that's how important he(a really Good QB) is to this team.

By the way, Eli is a pretty good QB, too. But the better QB did not win the SB because of the suffocating Giants D.

I disagree, to a point. I believe we do need a DECENT defense and running game. However, I believe that Brees made the defense look good in 2006 by keeping them off the field with his game management.

Bottom line is if Brees gets injured for a large portion of the season, GAME OVER and look towards next year--that's how important he(a really Good QB) is to this team.

By the way, Eli is a pretty good QB, too. But the better QB did not win the SB because of the suffocating Giants D.

Bottom line if any qb gets injured its over except for a couple of teams. But the fact is winning has a lot to do being able to stop offenses. Just as your point suggests. So I am not down playing Brees I am just saying that in order for the Saints to win the superbowl, they need to limit Brees to between 25-30 throws per game and they need to run the ball between 24-30 times a game. Brees is not the problem. Payton and defensive talent are the problem. I guarantee if healthy Brees will have another great year, but that will have no bearing on the Saints winning. The Saints are SOFT and Brees is not going to change that.

Just remember the championship game. The Saints gave Deuce the ball 13 times, in conditions that foster running, but Brees threw the ball 35 times. Something is wrong with that philosophy.

drew is more than good enough for us to win a SB, but i don't think either the OL or D is... we need a really good to great OL and an average to good D to get to the next level, imo... i think it's very difficult to win consistently w/out a very good OL and an at least decent D... start adding in a good to great Qback and you're consistently in the playoffs... upgrade the D and you're consistent SB contenders...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom