N/S If we are using MLB as a test (Cluster of cases puts Marlins' season on hold) (1 Viewer)

Exponentiality.

The Phillies and their family members have now been exposed.

How many hotel, transportation, and food service employees and their families have been exposed?

The rich sports leagues will get rapid test results but the working class will have to wait 1-2 weeks for their results - and probably pay hundreds of dollars for the test.

Person Man Woman Camera TV
We don't know who exposed who. Any one of those groups could have exposed the players.

If the NFL were serious about having a season this year, they would adopt the NBA model. I don’t see any other way to play a whole season.

While not sure exactly how the spread occurred - this is the main issue I have with opening (school opening in particular). This only works if each person stays vigilant, and we know that’s not going to happen
First week team/class + teacher really abides by protocol, then the inevitable gradual backsliding starts to happen
6’ becomes 2’ becomes a quick hug
mask usage gets lax (forgetting to put it back after drinking water/eating)
etc, etc
We’re not building real world scenarios into opening protocols

While not sure exactly how the spread occurred - this is the main issue I have with opening (school opening in particular). This only works if each person stays vigilant, and we know that’s not going to happen
First week team/class + teacher really abides by protocol, then the inevitable gradual backsliding starts to happen
etc, etc

Another massive problem for schools is that these pro players are being tested regularly with results within hours. This allows problems to be identified fairly quickly (for example the Marlins knew on Friday that they had four players test positive - they chose to keep going anyway) and allows for reasonably informed decisions and the chance to be pro-active.

I don't know of any school system that is doing testing - it's all going to rely on families taking their children to get tested, and (with a few exceptions) that will only happen when a child is symptomatic (or is known to have been exposed to another positive case). Plus, test results for regular people take days or longer.

Schools aren't likely to have information that an outbreak is starting to happen - it will only become evident after the outbreak is well developed.

Another massive problem for schools is that these pro players are being tested regularly with results within hours. This allows problems to be identified fairly quickly (for example the Marlins knew on Friday that they had four players test positive - they chose to keep going anyway) and allows for reasonably informed decisions and the chance to be pro-active.

I don't know of any school system that is doing testing - it's all going to rely on families taking their children to get tested, and (with a few exceptions) that will only happen when a child is symptomatic (or is known to have been exposed to another positive case). Plus, test results for regular people take days or longer.

Schools aren't likely to have information that an outbreak is starting to happen - it will only become evident after the outbreak is well developed.
ugh didn’t think of that

etc, etc

including the pressure the parent has to "get to work " - schools, by in large, are also a "day care mechanism" especially for the working parent(s).

So schools are completely reliant on the parent(s) to provide honest information when the individual situation may be where the parent(s) are not as honest.

including the pressure the parent has to "get to work " - schools, by in large, are also a "day care mechanism" especially for the working parent(s).

So schools are completely reliant on the parent(s) to provide honest information when the individual situation may be where the parent(s) are not as honest.
Yes, we all know how well the ‘don’t send your kid to school until they are free of fever for 24 hours’ goes

If the NFL were serious about having a season this year, they would adopt the NBA model. I don’t see any other way to play a whole season.
Agree as far as I understand everyone in NBA has been negative so far. The NBA researched this well . Serious consequences and quarantine for the player if he leaves bubble. That is how you do it.

Its not a good look, that's for sure. I'm definitely leaning towards no NFL this year at this point. The NBA seems to be doing a good enough job, but they also have 22 teams basically incarcerated inside a small area of 1 city for a shortened period of time. NBA rosters are MUCH smaller than NFL rosters as well (53 to 15). NBA logistics are far less complicated than NFL logistics. Its not feasible to play entire professional sports seasons in a bubble. The way the numbers are heading and calls from medical experts to shut down again - even if we don't shut down - just seems like the NFL just will either have to delay the season till 21, or just call it a day.

I think Brees will play if they move this season back to early 21. But if the season is tossed altogether, does he stick around for the regular 21 season? How will player contracts work if theres no season, ie, will FA after the 20 season lose a year of credit and stay under contract until 21? Theres a ton of questions about salary cap, contract timelines, etc that have to be worked out. Its a strange time to be living in.

My gut reaction last night when I heard that some Marlins players had tested positive was, yeah, that's a wrap on sports in 20. We will see.

Slayer - you bring-up a really interesting point on Brees. A few of us knew that Brees was heavily considering retirement after last season and he viewed the Pro Bowl as his last show in the game. If teams in other leagues are showing break-outs in teams, as much as a family man as Brees is and as many kids as he has, I wonder if what he is thinking about this season? Is he having any second thoughts?

I wonder what the Sean Payton virus effect will have on the team. If their head coach got it, recovered and managed the team through it, that is probably pretty strong motivation to his players to play this year.

Agree as far as I understand everyone in NBA has been negative so far. The NBA researched this well . Serious consequences and quarantine for the player if he leaves bubble. That is how you do it.

Can’t wait to see how the NBA handles Lou Williams case

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom