N/S If we are using MLB as a test (Cluster of cases puts Marlins' season on hold) (1 Viewer)

4 more Marlins players tested positive, Nationals took a team vote to request the cancellation of their weekend series with Miami, waiting on MLB answer

I speculate that the season will start and if a lot of guys start getting infected, they will "pause" the season until the infections are over or there is a vaccine available. It might take a couple of "pauses" before a vaccine is available.

Its unlikely the vaccine is going to be generally availalbe before the new year.

Its unlikely the vaccine is going to be generally availalbe before the new year.
I imagine that the government would have to prioritize high risk groups to get it first. I imagine football players could be among the first due to extensive close contact.

I imagine that the government would have to prioritize high risk groups to get it first. I imagine football players could be among the first due to extensive close contact.

Even in the most optimistic scenario, they would have to be part of the clinical trial group.

While not sure exactly how the spread occurred - this is the main issue I have with opening (school opening in particular). This only works if each person stays vigilant, and we know that’s not going to happen
First week team/class + teacher really abides by protocol, then the inevitable gradual backsliding starts to happen
6’ becomes 2’ becomes a quick hug
mask usage gets lax (forgetting to put it back after drinking water/eating)
etc, etc
We’re not building real world scenarios into opening protocols

Some retired MLB player said on TV an untested player joined the Marlins group. He also said most MLB players want to play. He said he knew several players that had the virus, and it was mild, with some having no symptoms.

Yes you're right. Dodging this virus is very hard short term, and impossible and unsustainable long term because of human nature.

Some people are very disciplined, fastidious, even anal about protecting themselves and others but get infected because of someone that's not so careful. That's why a lot of physicians and lab rats are saying back off on the damaging prevention effort and divert all resources to treatment. Treatment is already light years ahead of 4 months ago, and getting better by the day. If we focus on treatment, we may be surprised how much it calms fears and the sense of dread and hopelessness.

This is the first "social media" pandemic, and it has generated more fear and hysteria than anyone could imagine, even worse than Slim Man. This virus is bad enough without compounding it with a fear pandemic.

MLB has not had a single positive outside of the Marlins. They are doing fine other than 1 team got complacent and went out on the town or something. If anything it helps the NFLs case as it shows the players not to let their guard down and take it serious if they want to play a season.

20% of the teams in the MLB are now not playing because of COVID-19. This plan isn’t going to work for the NFL. We need another solution or the season is done.

Another massive problem for schools is that these pro players are being tested regularly with results within hours. This allows problems to be identified fairly quickly (for example the Marlins knew on Friday that they had four players test positive - they chose to keep going anyway) and allows for reasonably informed decisions and the chance to be pro-active.

I don't know of any school system that is doing testing - it's all going to rely on families taking their children to get tested, and (with a few exceptions) that will only happen when a child is symptomatic (or is known to have been exposed to another positive case). Plus, test results for regular people take days or longer.

Schools aren't likely to have information that an outbreak is starting to happen - it will only become evident after the outbreak is well developed.
It takes us 2 weeks to get results, so an asymptomatic positive staff member will continue working all the while being blissfully unaware. We need MLB to come into nursing homes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom