If we don’t get a wide receiver by round 2… (1 Viewer)

Wow, just wow. Every year, people think the fly boys are the most important position in sports.

It's always the same, whether we were #1 or #31 in offense, "moar WR!!" they have to cry.

Take a WR in the first round, and the response is "Why didn't we take another one in round 1 or 2?" 🤪

Consistently find performers outside the draft order who can contribute, and yet the cry remains "Moar WR!!" 😜🤪

Sign some local hero LSU receiver that people have spent 10 years obsessing over, and yet the cry "but we needed a different guy!! Another guy! And in the first two rounds!" 😆😆

I despair. I really despair.
Yet we consistently draft underachieving dline and oline in the 1st, but let's keep doing what we're doing.

Kayshon Boutte is a late 3rd maybe 4th round pick. As a LSU fan he was totally absent in majority of our games and wasn't even the 2nd best WR on the team. Not to mention he has that whole "SEX" scandal with the LSU recruiter.
He could fall but that’s not all that evaluators look at. He’ll have the combine and pro day to record his measurables and then his game tape. But if they see he had some issues with production they will try to figure out why by film or interviews with the player and coaches. He’s still likely mid 2nd round unless the scandal factors in.

Having a WR without a QB is kind of like having gloves without hands. We have a lot of needs. I’m not saying we don’t need a WR but with limited draft assets and cap room, it’s hard to prioritize. This team won’t be winning any championships anytime soon so I’d be looking for foundational pieces. Buliding blocks. What that means, I’m not exactly sure yet. I just don’t think it’s WR.
Disagree. The year before Troy Aikman was picked, the Cowboys used their first rounder on Michael Irvin. If you don't have a QB you love THIS year, you can take the WR to give the QB you take next year people to actually throw to. That QB you take needs to be put in a situation to succeed. Having viable WRs will help that.

Disagree. The year before Troy Aikman was picked, the Cowboys used their first rounder on Michael Irvin. If you don't have a QB you love THIS year, you can take the WR to give the QB you take next year people to actually throw to. That QB you take needs to be put in a situation to succeed. Having viable WRs will help that.
Olave?

Sooooo... Like we did drafting Olave 11th overall.

And yet that's not enough. It's never enough for the fly boys.

Sooooo... Like we did drafting Olave 11th overall.

And yet that's not enough. It's never enough for the fly boys.
The Saints didn't need Michael Thomas, they had Cooks and Snead. They didn't need AK, they had prime Ingram and Hightower.

If the BPA is a wide receiver, they will find a spot for him. It also happens to be a need.

Having a WR without a QB is kind of like having gloves without hands. We have a lot of needs. I’m not saying we don’t need a WR but with limited draft assets and cap room, it’s hard to prioritize. This team won’t be winning any championships anytime soon so I’d be looking for foundational pieces. Buliding blocks. What that means, I’m not exactly sure yet. I just don’t think it’s WR.

It depends on if the Saints are going with a veteran QB or a young QB. A young QB with nobody to throw to doesn't help much. It's a multiyear rebuild. If there's a better WR prospect than QB prospect when the Saints are on the board, you take WR.

Without a number 1 pick this year, I think it's probably better to put WR, OL, and RB above QB. Then going into 2024, you have a pretty solid offense outside of QB and better options for getting a better QB.

Totally understand your point and not disagreeing necessarily. I guess I’m looking at the totality of our needs. We don’t have the assets needed to address all of our needs. So it comes down to priorities, or going BPA as someone said before. I think that’s where I’m at right now. We need the most bang for our buck that we can get. We must maximize the assets we do have.

I also think the personality of this offense is going to move toward being more physical. With AK getting older and potentially being suspended, I think a physical between the tackles runner might be the best short term addition. The Saints O won’t win many shootouts, so you will have to play ball control and good D. Kind of like Tennessee does. Of course, having a freak like Henry makes it all work, which is hard to come by.

When I think of our overall needs (in order to be competitive), it’s a jigsaw puzzle that seems very hard to figure out in the short term. This is a 2-3 year project at the very least.

The Saints didn't need Michael Thomas, they had Cooks and Snead. They didn't need AK, they had prime Ingram and Hightower.

If the BPA is a wide receiver, they will find a spot for him. It also happens to be a need.
Ah well, now you're making a sensible point, because you're framing it as best player available. That's quite a few steps removed from 'If we don't take this position by the point I have decided is important...' - that's just fly boy lunacy.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
It's almost like you need more than one good WR in today's NFL.
It's almost like I've been on this board more than long enough to know that no number of good WRs is ever enough for the fly boys.

Ya'll be trippin. Dennisball will take a defender with the Saints first pick.

Are the Bengals a possible source for a future X? Higgins and Boyd are going into contract years next year, and I wonder if one may come up as a trade candidate with the Bengals not able to pay all three WR’s plus Burrow.

Tee Higgins averaged 72 catches, 1000+ yards, and 6 TD’s per year in his three years with the Bengals. It wouldn’t be out of the question for him to hold out in year four where he is only projected to make $3m. Being a round two pick they can’t use a fifth year option on him, and Burrow is entering year 4 in 2023 and will be nearing his big payday. He is least likely to be a trade candidate, but sign me up if he is.

More realistically, could Tyler Boyd be a potential trade target, especially if we get a rookie QB on a cheaper contract? With the Bengals trying to figure out how to pay Burrow, Chase, and Higgins over the next few years, Boyd would probably be the odd man out. He led the Bengals in receptions in the three years before Chase arrived and led the team in yards in two of those three years (edged out by Higgins in the third year). His drop rate since numbers were tracked in 2018 is 2.8%, and he’s right under the size cutoff for a good X at 6’2”. He’ll be 29 next year.

No idea if it’s possible, but talking heads have said all year that the Bengals are carrying three #1 WR’s. I would prefer Higgins in a scenario where they trade him if they don’t think they can keep him, but I think it’s more likely they look to replace their #3 so they can keep hammering teams with 11 personnel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom