If we don' sign anyone, what kind of extra picks would we be getting in 2014? (1 Viewer)

Bushrod signed a 5 year contract and Daniel a 3 year.

I guess at least we should be getting a 3rd next year. Something to consider.

The formula is pretty complicated, only a few people seem to have figured it out, and even then only approximately.

In the most general terms possible, it's net contracts out vs net contracts in within a time period (after a certain date FA signings don't count toward comp picks, but the date is like in April or May or something, when FA signings are relatively inconsequential).

So if you have more contracts "going out" (players on expired contracts who sign with someone else) than contracts "coming in" (players you sign before a certain date) you will get comp picks.

And, in also general terms, the bigger the deal AND better the production, the better the pick. So even if a player signs a big deal, you may not get a great pick if he sits on the bench (that's where it gets murky).

Incidentally, we will NOT get any comp picks this year. We signed more FAs than we lost (4 to 5). Had we not signed Lofton and Hawthorne we might have gotten 1 or 2.

Dude, read the title again. I wrote "In case we don't sign anyone".

The goal of this thread is for me to understand better how compensatory picks work, not to predict what is going to happen.

The problem is that no one other than the league office and maybe the union know that exact formula used. My understanding is that it is partly based on contract value add well as playing time and performance of players lost compared to same criteria for players gained. We should know in a few weeks what the Saints get from last years free agency.

We should know in a few weeks what the Saints get from last years free agency.

We know now, we won't get anything.

The most basic element of the formula is known. Net contracts in vs net contract out. We signed more qualifying players than we lost, we will receive no compensatory picks this year.

Dude, read the title again. I wrote "In case we don't sign anyone".

The goal of this thread is for me to understand better how compensatory picks work, not to predict what is going to happen.

I know, just ribbing you man. It's one thing to ask about how that system works and another to go through an exercise that will get some people thinking we're going to get a compensatory pick, when in reality, it will likely not happen by the end of this.

I know, just ribbing you man. It's one thing to ask about how that system works and another to go through an exercise that will get some people thinking we're going to get a compensatory pick, when in reality, it will likely not happen by the end of this.

It's a useful exercise though. Some teams, such as the Ravens and Packers, explicitly structure themselves around gaining additional compensatory picks. They regularly do not sign free agents until much, much later, allow players to walk, and regularly show up with many multiple picks via the compensatory system. These additional picks allow them to let even more veterans walk in the future, continuing the cycle.

It's a personal strategy, similar to the Saints and Colts (in the past) reliance on UDFA and New England's incessant trading down/for future picks.

Our strategy in free agency therefore should take into account the possibility of FA picks. If we can get, say, a 4th and a 7th rounder as it stands now, than any free agent signing needs to be considered in that context. Is signing player X worth potential compensatory pick Y?

It's a useful exercise though. Some teams, such as the Ravens and Packers, explicitly structure themselves around gaining additional compensatory picks. They regularly do not sign free agents until much, much later, allow players to walk, and regularly show up with many multiple picks via the compensatory system. These additional picks allow them to let even more veterans walk in the future, continuing the cycle.

It's a personal strategy, similar to the Saints and Colts (in the past) reliance on UDFA and New England's incessant trading down/for future picks.

Our strategy in free agency therefore should take into account the possibility of FA picks. If we can get, say, a 4th and a 7th rounder as it stands now, than any free agent signing needs to be considered in that context. Is signing player X worth potential compensatory pick Y?

Exactomondo. And that is why am curious. Thanks for the explanation LSSpam (btw, can I call you "Spam"? I always have to double check how many Ss are in you handle) :)..

Man Goodell not gone give us nothing...

I was thinking along those lines as well. However, there may be a formula in place that would override any arbitrary nonsense that he might try to pull. The way he operates, he could probably AMEND the punishment to increase it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom