If we want Vilma......... (1 Viewer)

I'd give them a 2nd round pick for Vilma. Curtis Lofton will be gone by our 2nd round pick, and none of the other LBers are anywhere near as talented as Vilma.

I'd give them a 2nd round pick for Vilma. Curtis Lofton will be gone by our 2nd round pick, and none of the other LBers are anywhere near as talented as Vilma.

So maybe instead we could use that pick for someone that slid out of the first round?:dunno:

Vilma isn't worth more than a 4th/conditional 3rd.

So maybe instead we could use that pick for someone that slid out of the first round?:dunno:

Agreed. He's a gamble - one that could pay off well for us, but a gamble nonetheless.

Drew Brees was considered a "gamble" when he signed.

Vilma is actually a great guy. He's smart, fast, and can tackle... I know there are concerns with the OCD, but he's only 25. Getting a pro bowl caliber lb for a 3rd round pick is a no brainer for me.

Agreed. He's a gamble - one that could pay off well for us, but a gamble nonetheless.

Spot-on. You can't look at what he WAS as a player, you have to look at what he IS now. And what he is now is an injured MLB with some potential.

It isn't like we are trying to trade for someone coming off of a pro-Bowl year. Yes, Vilma could be another Brees for us in that we get a great player who just needs a chance to heal from his injury. But we could also be getting another Simmons who just doesn't come back at all

All this talk about giving up a second or third is not realistic, IMHO. I'd give no more than a 4th because of the gamble that Vilma represents - even with a Doctors blessing.

JMO.

You know he is going to be put through a rigorous medical evaluation so how big of a gamble is it if a qualified medical staff says that they expect a full recovery from the surgery?

To me, if he is going to be 100% this year and we AREN'T interested then I'm not sure this Front Office will ever get it.

Spot-on. You can't look at what he WAS as a player, you have to look at what he IS now. And what he is now is an injured MLB with some potential.

It isn't like we are trying to trade for someone coming off of a pro-Bowl year. Yes, Vilma could be another Brees for us in that we get a great player who just needs a chance to heal from his injury. But we could also be getting another Simmons who just doesn't come back at all

All this talk about giving up a second or third is not realistic, IMHO. I'd give no more than a 4th because of the gamble that Vilma represents - even with a Doctors blessing.

JMO.
Simmons was also in his early 30's when the Saints signed him. Vilma is one year older than players in the draft (25).

There are actually several prospects in the 3rd round who could be our MLB for the next 6-8 years, just saying, I think your not giving the later rounds enough credit for producing talent.

But I do agree somewhat. I'd like to go after Vilma. And a 4th rounder would be fine with me if hes healthy.

Well, I don't doubt that the talent is there and available but we haven't shown the ability to select LB'ers that can consistently play in the NFL.

Age isn't the issue, its all about the injury.

And a medical evaluation isn't the be-all end-all, rigorous or not. Medical evaluations have been known to wrong. Look at Miami's analysis of Brees for just one example. They miss the diagnosis from time to time and the loss of a high draft choice can set us back, especially while trying to rebuild our defense.

Remember, they are not diagnosing how he IS but guessing on how his rehab will go and trying to predict how he will be in a few months. Thats guesswork. Professional guesswork, but guesswork nonetheless. It is a gamble because no one KNOWS how he will ultimately end up.

Age isn't the issue, its all about the injury.

And a medical evaluation isn't the be-all end-all, rigorous or not. Medical evaluations have been known to wrong. Look at Miami's analysis of Brees for just one example. They miss the diagnosis from time to time and the loss of a high draft choice can set us back, especially while trying to rebuild our defense.

Remember, they are not diagnosing how he IS but guessing on how his rehab will go and trying to predict how he will be in a few months. Thats guesswork. Professional guesswork, but guesswork nonetheless. It is a gamble because no one KNOWS how he will ultimately end up.

I guess it all comes down to what you consider the bigger gamble then I suppose.
A former pro-bowl player in the prime of his career recovering from an injury that others have recovered from to return to his full strength or a college recruit who has never played a down in the NFL that is selected anywhere from the 70th to 100th best recruit being able to come in and start and be a playmaker for us.

Obviously, I think it's worth the gamble but I do understand the concern.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom