If we want Vilma......... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
then there should be nothing stopping us from obtaining him. Zach Thomas had options, he was released and could choose what team was more comfortable for him and would offer him the most guaranteed money. Vilma is not in the same situation. He can seek a trade but ultimately the Jets have to accept or decline the conditions of that trade. If we bring him in and he seems to be on the path to fully recovering and we expect him to regain his pro-bowl form then we should outbid anyone else that is in the running for him. Being an NFC team there should be nothing keeping the Jets from dealing with us if we make the offer sweet enough. I have absolutely no problem sending them a 3rd rounder or possibly a 4th rounder than turns into a 3rd if he plays and produces certain statistics. There is no one we could draft in the 3rd round who could potentially be our starting MLB for the next 6-8 years and perform at a pro-bowl level.

Make it happen. Send 'em the pick and do not hesitate if our BPA is a LB'er in the first couple of rounds. We need multiple LB'ers and I have no problem drafting Rivers/Lofton/Highsmith/Conner to pair with Vilma and Fujita.

Your just setting yourself up to be dissapointed, ot saying were not gonna get him, but you've convinced yourself its as simple as making an offer.

There are actually several prospects in the 3rd round who could be our MLB for the next 6-8 years, just saying, I think your not giving the later rounds enough credit for producing talent.

But I do agree somewhat. I'd like to go after Vilma. And a 4th rounder would be fine with me if hes healthy.

Just out of curiousity, what makes you folks think we can get Vilma for a third or (no way) fourth round pick.

They'll want more than that, maybe a lot more.

Hey, just asking.

ddd

We aren't getting Vilma in my opinion. Zach Thomas was our best shot at getting any kind of big name. If we do get Vilma he's probably going to end up broken goods.

We'll probably settle for Dan Morgan.

I don't believe this crap in "oh people just don't wanna come here". There's something inherently wrong with the way the FO is selling this team. They seem to consistently do a poor job at it. Dallas hasn't won a playoff game in 100 years and they get people no problem. Yet Saints went to NFC championship and still can't sniff any premier names. The problem is the front office, not the city. They don't know how to sell the team to free agents.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, what makes you folks think we can get Vilma for a third or (no way) fourth round pick.

Of course they'll want more. They just won't get more.

Vilma has questionable knees, and everyone knows that he doesn't fit what the Jets want to do. They'll take what they can get for him or keep him for another year and let him go in FA.

Of course they'll want more. They just won't get more.

Vilma has questionable knees, and everyone knows that he doesn't fit what the Jets want to do. They'll take what they can get for him or keep him for another year and let him go in FA.

Maybe so. I thought it was one knee, but hey.

They don't want him. But I believe last year was his first and only injury time.

You're right, he's gone after this year one way or the other. Maybe someone with money wants him now.

Yes, I'm thinking we won't be the only ones interested, maybe more than a few teams will, and if their asking price is high, someone will offer it.

Of course, I also " might be high"

ddd

Hey, just asking.

ddd

I disagree with this statement because if a player is projected (by himself on his website) to begin running maybe next month then he has little bargaining power. If you add this to the system the Jets run and the little impact he has had as of late then a 5th rounder seems to be in the correct range. If we were going to spend a third (high third at that) we could move up two spots in the draft and have a shot at the top DT on the board.

If Randy Moss can be had for a late round pick it seems Vilma would have less value to a team with the severe injury he acquired. I would really love to get him if he is indeed recovering from the surgery but there is no need to spend more than what his value is worth today.

Get it done during the combine.........

Isn't there a date that trades have to be made after or could we do this now?

I just think it's a no brainer that if we bring him in and put him through all the medical evaluations that need to be done and determine that he should make a full recovery in time to start the season then why in the world wouldn't you give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for a 25 year old pro-bowl player that fills one of our largest needs? Am I missing something?

Here is a few of our quality 3rd round selections recently:
(anyone you wouldn't trade for Vilma in this group?)

2003 - Cie Grant
2005- Alfred Fincher
2006 - Texans (from us) Eric Winston
2007- Usama Young / Andy Alleman

Last edited:
Isn't there a date that trades have to be made after or could we do this now?

I just think it's a no brainer that if we bring him in and put him through all the medical evaluations that need to be done and determine that he should make a full recovery in time to start the season then why in the world wouldn't you give up a 3rd or 4th rounder for a 25 year old pro-bowl player that fills one of our largest needs? Am I missing something?

Here is a few of our quality 3rd round selections recently:
(anyone you wouldn't trade for Vilma in this group?)

2005- Alfred Fincher
2006 - Texans (from us) Eric Winston
2007- Usama Young / Andy Alleman

I agree with you. I get so upset we can't get the 1st and 2nd round picks right, much less the 3rd pick.

Wow, the fan posts after that jets article don't sounds to happy about Vilma possibly leaving either. Seems they think he is a pretty classy player who is getting a raw deal from the Jets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom