If we WIN next week... PLAYOFFS (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I was just doing this to see if the Saints could possibly make the playoffs next week if we win and have a few things go our way. There are dozens of scenarios which i am not taking in mind in order to do this.

If the Saints win next week, we are 9-4 with an 8-1 conference record.
Our worst case scenario is that we lose out and finish 9-7 with a 8-4 conference record.

Best Case Scenario for OTHER teams if Carolina wins tonight:
11-5
Carolina 8-4

10-6
NY Giants 9-3
Atlanta 8-4

9-7, With loss next week teams elimated (will all finish 8-8):
Philadelphia 8-4
Minnesota 8-4
St. Louis 7-5
San Francisco 7-5

Carolina vs Giants next week:
Giants Win: Both Carolina and Giants can still reach 10-6
Atlata Loss: Falcons can finish 9-7, 7-5 conference
Saints make playoffs

Giants Loss: Carolina can finish 11-5, Giants best is 9-7, 8-4
Atlanta Loss: Falcons can finish 9-7, 7-5 conference
Saints make playoffs

Best Case Scenario for OTHER teams if Phila wins tonight:
10-6
Philadelphia 9-3
NY Giants 9-3
Atlanta 8-4
Carolina 7-5

9-7, With loss next week teams elimated:
Minnesota 8-4
St. Louis 7-5
San Francisco 7-5

Carolina vs Giants next week:
Giants Win: Giants finish 10-6, Panthers 9-7
Atlata Loss: Finish 9-7, 7-5
Phila Loss: Finish 9-7, 8-4
Saints make Playoffs

Giants Loss: Giants finish 9-7, 8-4; Panthers 10-6
Atlanta Loss: Finish 9-7, 7-5
Phila Loss: Finish 9-7, 8-4
GIants and Phila play each other again this year so one team would not be tied for a spot:
3 way tie with Giants, Phila, and Atlanta for 2 playoff spots
Giants, Phila, and Saints same record and 8-4 in conference
Atlanta eliminated due to 7-5 conference record
Saints make Playoffs

As you can see... if Minnesota, St. Louis, San Francisco, Phila and Atlanta lose next week the Saints make the playoffs with a win. I'm sure thier are other ways to make the playoffs with tiebreakers over these teams as well if they would win next week (Minn, St. Louis, San Fran, Phila-if they lose tonight)

I posted something similar to what you've come up with earlier with the exception that I don't believe that St. Louis or San Francisco have to lose.

I say that because in a log jam, our conference record will be superior (assuming we beat Dallas and move to 9-1) to either St. Louis or San Francisco (who we also hold a head-to-head tiebreaker against).

And if Phily loses tonight, they don't have to lose next week. But Minnesota MUST lose or tie to the Bears or we can't clinch next week even if we win.

Well, if we win one more game, we're in pretty good shape. Two, and we’re golden. Still, stranger things have happened though. We are Saints fans after all, right?

Think I’ll just enjoy this week, and watch the hype leading up to the Cowboys. If we beat the Cowboys, I’ll be very happy.

Well, if we win one more game, we're in pretty good shape. Two, and we’re golden. Still, stranger things have happened though. We are Saints fans after all, right?

Think I’ll just enjoy this week, and watch the hype leading up to the Cowboys. If we beat the Cowboys, I’ll be very happy.

im with you Ive been to a fan to long to get to excited just yet (although I have to make myself not be) if we win this one ill go out on a limb and say some stuff I havnt said in a while but im just gonna wait and see

I posted something similar to what you've come up with earlier with the exception that I don't believe that St. Louis or San Francisco have to lose.

I say that because in a log jam, our conference record will be superior (assuming we beat Dallas and move to 9-1) to either St. Louis or San Francisco (who we also hold a head-to-head tiebreaker against).

And if Phily loses tonight, they don't have to lose next week. But Minnesota MUST lose or tie to the Bears or we can't clinch next week even if we win.

If Philadelphia loses tonight they could have an 8-4 conference record and if any other teams are tied with us at 8-4 our H2H win over Phila doesn't help (like the Giants, Falcons, Panthers, Minn). As for St. Louis and SF your right, they already have 5 conference losses and a tie with them does not matter so...

If Minn and Atlanta lose next week and possibly Phila depending on what they do tonight... looks like we lock up a spot.

If the Saints win next week, and the Panthers lose tonight, the Saints clinch a wildcard spot

If I'm not mistaken, we win the NFC South that means we're in the playoffs. Barring a total breakdown by the Saints, the worst case scenario will come down to the last game in the dome against the Panthers. And if that is the case, I'm confident N.O. will win.

If Carolina loses tonight...we are that much closer to winning the NFC South....

I'm still having flashbacks from 2002. I'm not going to unpucker until I see that little 'x' next to us in the standings.

Best Case Scenario for OTHER teams if Phila wins tonight:
10-6
Philadelphia 9-3
NY Giants 9-3
Atlanta 8-4
Carolina 7-5

)

If Phily wins tonight, Atlanta and Carolina can't both finish 10-6.

forget playoffs lets go further #2 seed at best:worthy:

if we lose and seattle wins, we drop to the #3 seed, if carollina wins 2 in a row (iffy at best) the #4 seed..we need this game

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom