NFL If/when the 2020 season is cancelled... what happens? (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Are player contracts just rolled over into the next season? ...or do players that would have been FAs next offseason still hit the FA market?

What about the Draft? If there’s no NCAA season, do all players get another season of eligibility? Do they still have a draft? How do teams draft another crop of rookies, when they still have a class of rookies that are still, well... rookies?

The money and salaries are a whole other story... I couldnt care less if owners and Goodell lose money... or the majority of the super rich prima donna players.. but what about the guys making league minimum or PS guys?

The situation is moving closer and closer to the inevitability of no football in 2020. The “ish” is heading straight into the fan.

I would hope everything would just toll.

Yeah, but these players will demand to still get paid... if they get paid, then the owners will want services... if they get money for nothin (and chicks for free) then their contracts might expire when the league year ends still.

Are player contracts just rolled over into the next season? ...or do players that would have been FAs next offseason still hit the FA market?

What about the Draft? If there’s no NCAA season, do all players get another season of eligibility? Do they still have a draft? How do teams draft another crop of rookies, when they still have a class of rookies that are still, well... rookies?

The money and salaries are a whole other story... I couldnt care less if owners and Goodell lose money... or the majority of the super rich prima donna players.. but what about the guys making league minimum or PS guys?

The situation is moving closer and closer to the inevitability of no football in 2020. The “ish” is heading straight into the fan.

I'd imagine that has to be collectively agreed to by the NFLPA and the Owners.

For the draft I'm thinking teams will either stay in their current draft slots and just have a 2021 Draft like you normally would or all teams would be put in a weighted lottery and pulled from there.

Waitresses could not work because of COVID, and they did not get paid. Law firms lost a portion of their work, and they cut lawyers' pay by the same portion.

So why should baseball and football players get paid to not work?

There are a lot of expensive attorneys looking into contract language. They are going to be on the hook for the guaranteed money, but the non guaranteed money will be a questions. I have no doubt teams had this language in contracts in case of a disaster or unforeseen event would cancel games or a season. The players with the most guaranteed money probably have more say with the players union.

Waitresses could not work because of COVID, and they did not get paid. Law firms lost a portion of their work, and they cut lawyers' pay by the same portion.

So why should baseball and football players get paid to not work?

Because they have unions to back them up. Also things are a little more complicated with sports leagues when you have to figure out service times and things of that nature that are collectively bargained for. If owners want cost certainty with salary caps then that comes with a trade off. As far as I know waitresses and lawyers salary's aren't artificially capped

It's all speculation at this point anyway, but I've read speculation all the same that the top-flight talent who would've returned for a final season of college eligibility would enter the supplemental draft this year if there's no college ball. Players like Clemson's Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne, LSU's Tyler Shelvin, Alabama's Najee Harris, etc.

It's all speculation at this point anyway, but I've read speculation all the same that the top-flight talent who would've returned for a final season of college eligibility would enter the supplemental draft this year if there's no college ball. Players like Clemson's Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne, LSU's Tyler Shelvin, Alabama's Najee Harris, etc.

The 2020 supplemental draft is cancelled.

So, if this season is canceled and its looking more so like it will end up that way. Is this the end of Drew, does he retire? It would suck for him to go out like that.

I can’t see any way this season happens. Could you imagine if Drew Brees or MT or whoever...maybe half the starters...catch corona and miss games due to having to quarantine?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom