If Winston signs elsewhere ... (10 Viewers)

Reaction score
It seems as tho CSP is quite adamant about not having to settle for starting Hill for an entire season (which is very well understood) so if some reason we can't retain Winston I can see us signing Trubisky or trading for Darnold

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We have Hill under contract. So I assume as we are heavily over the cap and if someone really stretches out for Winston, we might be out of the conversation for any other QB in this years market.

So ride Taysom and lets see how we are doing that year. Either we suck and get a quite good draft pick to use on a QB next year, or we find ourselves back to the mediocre 7-9 years and have to sort out QBs during the season.

Either way, if Winston doesnt sign with us, I bet we just sit it out and use the only QB we have in TH7
I think the roster is too talented to be terrible enough to get the type of draft pick you need to get one of the top QBs. Even if Taysom is the starter I think we're looking at a floor of around 7 wins. We'd end up just outside the top 10 .

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
These are facts according to u
If the Saints truly, and I mean truly believe HE IS the future for this team, then they should sign him to a long term contract, heavy on the back end. And not a 2 year deal with a voidable third year. That will tell you what they REALLY think of him.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If the Saints truly, and I mean truly believe HE IS the future for this team, then they should sign him to a long term contract, heavy on the back end. And not a 2 year deal with a voidable third year. That will tell you what they REALLY think of him.
No real reason to bid against themselves for belief sake.

They could always franchise him later if he proves to be a franchise QB, as they seem to believe he is. No reason to lock yourself in until you know.

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
No real reason to bid against themselves for belief sake.

They could always franchise him later if he proves to be a franchise QB, as they seem to believe he is. No reason to lock yourself in until you know.
That's my point. They don't have the faith to lock him down. If they did, they would, and that would not be a smart move, IMO. If he agrees to a one year (prove it) deal, low base with high incentives to reach 20 million, get after it.

Reaction score
And I expect them to sign him to that type of deal but if he exceeds expectations do u really think they wouldn't extend him before the deal is up? The way CSP is talking him up I highly doubt they wouldn't

Last edited:

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
That's my point. They don't have the faith to lock him down. If they did, they would, and that would not be a smart move, IMO. If he agrees to a one year (prove it) deal, low base with high incentives to reach 20 million, get after it.
First, Jameis would have to *want* to sign a long-term, below-average starter market deal to make that happen. And I highly doubt that.

Secondly, until the Saints see him in action in their offense, there’s no reason to lock themselves in longer than they have to. Payton believes in him. But belief only extends so far when he hasn’t taken a single rep in a game in which the Saints have game-planned for him to be the starter.

It’s really a leap of faith both ways.

GeauxWhoDats

Insert Clever Title Here
Reaction score
Not Saints Related and they don't spotlight Winston or the Saints. It is 100% time filler speculation but an interesting take on a few situations. I am in the Fitzpatrick to the Saints camp.

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
Reaction score
I’m thinking Aaron Rodgers will be a Saint just to stick it to Brady. We have the D to stop Brady, we just need an arm....

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It seems as tho CSP is quite adamant about not having to settle for starting Hill for an entire season (which is very well understood) so if some reason we can't retain Winston I can see us signing Trubisky or trading for Darnold
I am not sure about that.

Saints should be looking for the best option available, for this year and the future, but I think they would be quiet comfortable with Taysom starting.

Not really. I don't think there is enough evidence right now to say Taysom, Jameis or anyone else is (or not) the quarterback of the future.

Like it or not, 2021 is the first of transitional years. It is rare for a team to move on from a legend with a replacement in the roster for the long haul. I can only think of the Montana-Young and the Manning-Luck cases.

We don't know who the quarterback for 2021 will be. But we know that he will be on a test drive to see if he can take the position for years to come, if he has a chance to develop and evolve in his game.

We will need to have patience, we are hopeful for the future, but nothing will be set on stone.

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score
Whether we sign Winston or not, i hope we draft a prospect to groom in next years draft. Sam Howell & Kedon Slovis will be available & would be perfect fits for Sean Payton’s O.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom