If Winston signs elsewhere ... (4 Viewers)

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Winston does sign elsewhere (I don't think likely!) I believe Coach Payton will start out with Hill as he is under contract. Then I see a move to get one of the 1st round QB's like Jones and finally sign a serviceable veteran as a viable backup for 2021! I might add that I also don't see how the Saints can give Winston a huge starters contract and that he will hopefully be willing to sign a incentive laden contract that is cap friendly where he can 'prove-it' before getting elite money.

Last edited:

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what Hill put on display to make u come to that conclusion but we shall see...I guess
It's not only what he put on display what counts.

Coaches have the chance to evaluate his performance besides this, and that involves his ability to process information, work ethic, and what they may expect for him to progress as a player. The feedback has been mostly positive so far, beyond what he have seen from him.

My point is, we don't know if Hill and/or Winston are the quarterback for years to come. Coaches may have a preference of one or the other, but I think they feel comfortable with any of them to lead the team in 2021.

Saint Dupree

Next
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You know why
So you know why??? I can probably guess what you are implying. Sick of that talk bro. Back to the point. I'm finding it hard to see Winston as our starting qb also....and its because he was a hated punk qb of our nfc south rival bucs. That's all.

Judge_Smails

Rookie
Reaction score
That's my point. They don't have the faith to lock him down. If they did, they would, and that would not be a smart move, IMO. If he agrees to a one year (prove it) deal, low base with high incentives to reach 20 million, get after it.
It takes two to tango. You assume Winston wants a long term deal, but that is highly unlikely. Winston know that if he signs a shorter deal (the Russell Wilson strategy) he gets the chance to sign another contract (most likely a MUCH better deal) while still in his “contract prime” for a lot more guaranteed money than signing a long term deal now.

The QB market in 2021 is a lot different than the 2006 market, when Brees signed a 6 years deal.

GeauxWhoDats

Insert Clever Title Here
Reaction score
I do not get the Minshew love, other than loving his swagger. I am a WSU alum and love the guy, but he is not going to be a playoff caliber QB. He has moxy , but does not have the arm, release, or processing speed at the NFL level.
But you have to admit that the kid does have one hell of a cookie duster.

Optimistic Ozzy

Bleeder of Black and Gold
Reaction score
It takes two to tango. You assume Winston wants a long term deal, but that is highly unlikely. Winston know that if he signs a shorter deal (the Russell Wilson strategy) he gets the chance to sign another contract (most likely a MUCH better deal) while still in his “contract prime” for a lot more guaranteed money than signing a long term deal now.

The QB market in 2021 is a lot different than the 2006 market, when Brees signed a 6 years deal.
I get that. But if you're a player, would you take a 4 year 80 million dollar deal with 25-30 million guaranteed, or a one year deal with incentives to reach 20 million? And...................run the risk of getting hurt.

jasonsw

Long live Duke and Goose
Reaction score
I think Winston in N.O is best for both sides. He will get a decent one or two year contract with a chance to cash in big if he performs well. The Saints more than any team that needs a QB.gives Winston the greatest chance for success.

For N.O unless they land Wilson or Watson in a trade, Winston gives the Saints the best chance of winning for now over the current options in the market.

With the roster the Saints have they should be a playoff team with Jameis at the helm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom