If Winston signs elsewhere ... (1 Viewer)

It seems as tho CSP is quite adamant about not having to settle for starting Hill for an entire season (which is very well understood) so if some reason we can't retain Winston I can see us signing Trubisky or trading for Darnold

We have Hill under contract. So I assume as we are heavily over the cap and if someone really stretches out for Winston, we might be out of the conversation for any other QB in this years market.

So ride Taysom and lets see how we are doing that year. Either we suck and get a quite good draft pick to use on a QB next year, or we find ourselves back to the mediocre 7-9 years and have to sort out QBs during the season.

Either way, if Winston doesnt sign with us, I bet we just sit it out and use the only QB we have in TH7

I think the roster is too talented to be terrible enough to get the type of draft pick you need to get one of the top QBs. Even if Taysom is the starter I think we're looking at a floor of around 7 wins. We'd end up just outside the top 10 .

These are facts according to u
If the Saints truly, and I mean truly believe HE IS the future for this team, then they should sign him to a long term contract, heavy on the back end. And not a 2 year deal with a voidable third year. That will tell you what they REALLY think of him.

If the Saints truly, and I mean truly believe HE IS the future for this team, then they should sign him to a long term contract, heavy on the back end. And not a 2 year deal with a voidable third year. That will tell you what they REALLY think of him.

No real reason to bid against themselves for belief sake.

They could always franchise him later if he proves to be a franchise QB, as they seem to believe he is. No reason to lock yourself in until you know.

No real reason to bid against themselves for belief sake.

They could always franchise him later if he proves to be a franchise QB, as they seem to believe he is. No reason to lock yourself in until you know.
That's my point. They don't have the faith to lock him down. If they did, they would, and that would not be a smart move, IMO. If he agrees to a one year (prove it) deal, low base with high incentives to reach 20 million, get after it.

And I expect them to sign him to that type of deal but if he exceeds expectations do u really think they wouldn't extend him before the deal is up? The way CSP is talking him up I highly doubt they wouldn't

Last edited:
That's my point. They don't have the faith to lock him down. If they did, they would, and that would not be a smart move, IMO. If he agrees to a one year (prove it) deal, low base with high incentives to reach 20 million, get after it.

First, Jameis would have to *want* to sign a long-term, below-average starter market deal to make that happen. And I highly doubt that.

Secondly, until the Saints see him in action in their offense, there’s no reason to lock themselves in longer than they have to. Payton believes in him. But belief only extends so far when he hasn’t taken a single rep in a game in which the Saints have game-planned for him to be the starter.

It’s really a leap of faith both ways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom