If Winston signs elsewhere ... (1 Viewer)

It takes two to tango. You assume Winston wants a long term deal, but that is highly unlikely. Winston know that if he signs a shorter deal (the Russell Wilson strategy) he gets the chance to sign another contract (most likely a MUCH better deal) while still in his “contract prime” for a lot more guaranteed money than signing a long term deal now.

The QB market in 2021 is a lot different than the 2006 market, when Brees signed a 6 years deal.
I get that. But if you're a player, would you take a 4 year 80 million dollar deal with 25-30 million guaranteed, or a one year deal with incentives to reach 20 million? And...................run the risk of getting hurt.

I think Winston in N.O is best for both sides. He will get a decent one or two year contract with a chance to cash in big if he performs well. The Saints more than any team that needs a QB.gives Winston the greatest chance for success.

For N.O unless they land Wilson or Watson in a trade, Winston gives the Saints the best chance of winning for now over the current options in the market.

With the roster the Saints have they should be a playoff team with Jameis at the helm.

I get that. But if you're a player, would you take a 4 year 80 million dollar deal with 25-30 million guaranteed, or a one year deal with incentives to reach 20 million? And...................run the risk of getting hurt.
I get what you are saying, and Winston might be willing to take a 4 year deal, but it’s hard to imagine he would sign for 4 unless there is a lot of guaranteed cash in the deal.

We kind of have to get him on a 4 year deal to fit him under to cap and keep our players. We don't have $20 million in incentives to give.

I do not get the Minshew love, other than loving his swagger. I am a WSU alum and love the guy, but he is not going to be a playoff caliber QB. He has moxy , but does not have the arm, release, or processing speed at the NFL level.
Look at his numbers. They look really good, and they're coming from a bad team. Give him a good coach and legit team he could be really impressive.

If Taysom did not drop the ball as much, he could have a shot at being a real factor but he has to be clean with the ball. No matter who is QB (unless Brees plays), the offense will change. Coach will adjust to the type of talents the qb has. Winston had basically no coaching after winning the Heisman. The Saints have had a chance to see him for a year behind the scenes. If they do sign him, he will not be a stop gap. He is 27 and talented. If Jamies does stay, draft WR available in 1st, maybe Marshal, Jr. If Jamies leaves, sign QB from Bama. This is a strange off season due to Covid-19 and adjustments to salary cap which makes it more difficult to make predictions on free agency.

Look at his numbers. They look really good, and they're coming from a bad team. Give him a good coach and legit team he could be really impressive.
His numbers are not that good. I love the guy but he has a Case Keenum trajectory. Nothing wrong with that, but hard to imagine a contending team giving him the keys.

What direction does the team go ? Hill ? A drafted QB ? Another veteran or trade ?
I don't think Payton is going to let Winston get away but you never know. Didn't see enough from Hill this past season to think he's THE guy. Just my 2¢ ...
It's not up to CSP. It's our salary cap. 5 players take up almost 50 percent of cap. Not counting a future Winston deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom