N/S If You Are in Charge of the Bengals, Would You Accept the Dolphins Offer (Alleged Report) (1 Viewer)

The Bengals trading away the Chance to draft Burrw will be a major draft fumble. Brings to mind the Texans in 2006. They could of had Reggie Bush or Vince Young among others. I think they had the number one pick and used it on Mario Williams. He was a good player but not a potential game changer.

that is an interesting example. Unfortunately, neither of those guys would have come anywhere close to living up to that pick. It would have put butts in seats though.

Take the 3 picks Burrow will flop with the Bengals just ask Carson Palmer. I don't see Burrow as a can't miss QB, Maybe in the right offense witch is not the Bengals.

base on values I see on position value charts, Cincinnati would get the good end of that deal by a good bit. But one thing I would be concerned about is keeping them. Neither of these teams is within a couple of years of being a deep playoff run team and by the time they get there you would be trying to figure out how to sign 3 guys to their second and likely biggest contracts.
All teams will go through this at some point in regards to re-signing their young core.

that is an interesting example. Unfortunately, neither of those guys would have come anywhere close to living up to that pick. It would have put butts in seats though.

This is an under appreciated fact. Does stockpiling picks make sense for a team with a middling roster? Sure. But, how do you sell the team to your fan base in 2020 if you don’t get Burrow or Tua out of the this deal?

Trading out of the first pick would turn the Bengals into an even bigger laughing stock.

It's an interesting question. Do you add the QB now and try to surround him with talent over the next few years or do you add a lot of talent now and hope for the best at QB? They probably aren't going to be good either way any time soon.

I wonder how we'd feel if this was the Saints years from now and we got this offer for Arch Manning who was seen as a franchise QB?

You also have to consider that trading down isn't always a path to multiple useful players.

An extreme example would be the Factory of Sadness in 2016. Needing a QB, they traded out of #2 overall (allowing Philly to take Wentz) and ended up parlaying the various picks they received into the following world beating collection of 11 players:-

Corey Coleman
Shon Coleman
Cody Kessler
Derrick Kindred
Spencer Drango
Ricardo Louis
Jordan Payton
Jabrill Peppers
Deshone Kizer
Denzel Ward
Chad Thomas

Just three years later, most of those guys aren't playing any more, and those that are, are primarily on other teams.

It's an interesting question. Do you add the QB now and try to surround him with talent over the next few years or do you add a lot of talent now and hope for the best at QB? They probably aren't going to be good either way any time soon.

I wonder how we'd feel if this was the Saints years from now and we got this offer for Arch Manning who was seen as a franchise QB?
You usually take the franchise QB.

Indianapolis were dreadful when they took both Manning and Luck. Within a couple of years, both were on teams competing for playoff places and championships.

Dallas were a 1-15 laughing stock when Johnson took Aikman first overall. Several super bowls followed etc.

These aren't isolated examples.

You also have to consider that trading down isn't always a path to multiple useful players.

An extreme example would be the Factory of Sadness in 2016. Needing a QB, they traded out of #2 overall (allowing Philly to take Wentz) and ended up parlaying the various picks they received into the following world beating collection of 11 players:-

Corey Coleman
Shon Coleman
Cody Kessler
Derrick Kindred
Spencer Drango
Ricardo Louis
Jordan Payton
Jabrill Peppers
Deshone Kizer
Denzel Ward
Chad Thomas

Just three years later, most of those guys aren't playing any more, and those that are, are primarily on other teams.
The only decent player out of this list is Denzel Ward.

Hmmm... :scratch:

As one of our posters (above) have said... it's sort of a crap shoot. How much of a crap shoot? Look at some of the biggest BUSTS at QB in the 1st round:
  • Andre Ware, QB, Detroit Lions, 1990 (#7 overall)
  • Rick Mirer, QB, Seattle Seahawks, 1993 (#2 overall)
  • Heath Shuler, QB, Washington Redskins, 1994 (#3 overall)
  • Ryan Leaf, QB, San Diego Chargers, 1998 (#2 overall)
  • Tim Couch, QB, Cleveland Browns, 1999 (#1 overall)
  • Akali Smith, QB, Cincinatti Bengals, 1999 (#3 overall)
  • JaMarcus Russell, QB, Oakland Raiders, 2007 (#1 overall)
On the flip side, I sort of remember the story of a 6th round (199th) pick out of the Univ. of Michigan who went on to (arguably) be the best QB in NFL history.

All that being said, if it was the Saints... I'd say keep the #1 overall pick. But since it's the Bengals (as someone else has said on this thread), I'd take the 3-for-1 swap!

:gosaints:

Last edited:
but say you have Burrow for 10 years
if Cincy is not ready to be competitive this year, maybe they will be in 3 years
that's 7 years of potentially vying for the SB
otoh, they could take all of the 1st and still not be able to field a competitive team for another 10 years
...maybe they will be in 3 years!
lol I see how you snuck in that April fools joke, clever!
Ok, i know its not nice to pick on inept franchises, but I can't help it.

Hmmm... :scratch:

As one of our posters (above) have said... it's sort of a crap shoot. How much of a crap shoot? Look at some of the biggest BUSTS at QB in the 1st round:
  • Andre Ware, QB, Detroit Lions, 1990 (#7 overall)
  • Rick Mirer, QB, Seattle Seahawks, 1993 (#2 overall)
  • Heath Shuler, QB, Washington Redskins, 1994 (#3 overall)
  • Ryan Leaf, QB, San Diego Chargers, 1998 (#2 overall)
  • Tim Couch, QB, Cleveland Browns, 1999 (#1 overall)
  • Akali Smith, QB, Cincinatti Bengals, 1999 (#3 overall)
  • JaMarcus Russell, QB, Oakland Raiders, 2007 (#1 overall)
On the flip side, I sort of remember the story of a 6th round (199th) pick out of the Univ. of Michigan who went on to (arguably) be the best QB in NFL history.

All that being said, if it was the Saints... I'd say keep the #1 overall pick. But since it's the Bengals (as someone else has said on this thread), I'd take the 3-for-1 swap!

:gosaints:

Great points and let's be honest here. Let's say for instance if the Bengals take those picks from Miami. They can still draft a great QB (arguably would be the #1 pick if not injured) in Tua plus get another WR to pair with AJ Green and address O-line and other needs in the draft with those picks. To hold them over for a year or two they can bring on a Scam....I mean Cam, a Dalton, or a Winston to allow Tua to sit for a year or two. Make some trades and sign some free agents, IMO that would be the best move to make.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom