"If you can't catch against the Saints you must not be very good"(*MERGED*) (1 Viewer)

What about Lee Evans? He was there #1 last year where was he? Our D shut them out point blank period....
They scored on a fake field goal.
If you still have negative comments concerning our secondary or defense. I don't think he did anything other than read the box score. Journalist crediability for Rome & his crew 0!!!

Did anyone see this? He had a guest on (Mark Whicker from the Orange County Register) that said this about Terrell Owens. "If you can't get up and go against the New Orleans Saints and can't catch a pass you may not be good anymore"

I don't know why this surprises me anymore.

Who?

From now on everyone, hold off on all judgements until we hear what Mark Whicker has to say. :9:

I saw this, too, but wasn't going to start a thread about it. But I'll reply to this one :D. I couldn't help it...had to email him. I know I probably shouldn't have written him, but I'm just tired of all the misinformed perceptions about our defense and felt the need to correct this guy. This what I wrote him:

"Dear Mr. Whicker,

I saw you on the Jim Rome Show, and you said something to the effect of, if you can't catch a pass on the Saints defense, maybe you're really not that good (in reference to Terrell Owens being held without a catch against the Saints). You could at least watch the Saints defense this year before making a comment like that. Yes, we've given up yards, but that's solely because we went to the prevent defense for the entire 4th quarters against Detroit and Philly. I guess you didn't know that Philly had about 275yds or so going into the 4th quarter.

Since you obviously haven't had the chance to look up the stats, I'll help you out. The Saints are 4th in the NFL in opponents' pass efficiency (58.0). While we're 22nd in pass yards allowed, we're also 3rd in pass attempts against. However, we're 9th in yards per pass attempt and 4th in completion percentage against. We're tied with Green Bay for the league lead in interceptions and are tied for 11th in sacks.

So while you're obviously fixated on the yards Kolb put up against us, you really should have looked a little deeper into the stats so you could discover that it's apparently a lot more difficult to catch a pass on the Saints than you believe.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, we have the 10th overall defense. We're 5th against the run (67.0/gm) and 6th in yds per carry allowed (3.2). The longest run against us this year is 16 yards, and that was by Brian Westbrook from the QB position in the Wildcat. Only three teams have a longest run against that is less than 16yds. It's also worth noting that while we've allowed 56 points this year: 7 came on the Bills fake FGA, 2 on an intentional safety against Philly, 7 after Hobbs returned a KOR to our 35 at Philly, 7 on a fumble return by Detroit, 7 after a PR gave Detroit the ball at our 13, 3 after a KOR to our 12 against Detroit. Sixteen of our 56 pts allowed came directly as a result of our STs and/or offensive TO. Seventeen of the remaining 40 were a result of STs giving Detroit and Philly short fields. In three games, Detroit, Philly, and Buffalo drove the field to score 23 points.

With the additions of Gregg Williams at DC, and Jabari Greer and Darren Sharper in the secondary, our defense is much better and will eventually get the attention and respect of media types such as yourself.

I sure would like to hear back from you, perhaps with some sort of apology for making such an uneducated comment about our pass defense this year. But, I'm not holding my breath. Have a nice day."

I know I probably shouldn't have written him, but I'm just tired of all the misinformed perceptions about our defense and felt the need to correct this guy.

Anyone who watched the games knows it was on the QB, not TO.

While I completely disagree with the premise of his statement, I do completely agree that Terrell Owens is not very good anymore. I think Buffalo will regret picking him up this season (if they don't already) - judging by his reality-TV-generation-compatible petulant whining, he can't be good for that locker room.

This is all you need to know about Jim Rome.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is all you need to know about Jim Rome.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL...that just looks staged to me. I don't doubt that there was bad blood between the two, but I think they staged that. If Chris, er, Jim wanted to go after Rome, it would have been more physical than that. That looked more like a fight I see in a junior high stage play or something.

Look at the plays, he should have caught at least three of the passes he dropped. But I agree about the comment Rome made.

I only remember him bobbling one as he went out of bounds, but you're saying he "dropped" four or more? I gotta rewatch the game.

Edit: By the way, Mark Whicker is a doody-head.

LOL...that just looks staged to me. I don't doubt that there was bad blood between the two, but I think they staged that. If Chris, er, Jim wanted to go after Rome, it would have been more physical than that. That looked more like a fight I see in a junior high stage play or something.

It was not staged . Jim almost lost his job over it .

it's just another case of a dude not knowing what the eff they're talking about. it can happen to everyone. however, if you're being paid to talk about something, at least KNOW THE FACTS!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom