Saints If you could have one LB (in history, or present) to join the Saints in 2018... who??? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Willis in his prime was something to behold. But theres just no way you can pick anyone besides LT. The guy revolutionized pass rushing.

Patrick Willis in his prime was something to behold. But theres just no way you can pick anyone besides LT. The guy revolutionized pass rushing.

Agreed.
But, Sam Mills knew what play the offense was going to pick before the offense did. Then he had the athletic ability to also physically dominate even as diminutive as he was.
RIP Sam.

Agreed.
But, Sam Mills knew what play the offense was going to pick before the offense did. Then he had the athletic ability to also physically dominate even as diminutive as he was.
RIP Sam.
I think Jr Seau was a master of that as well

The way the question is phrased leads me to choose what may be a homer pick, Sam Mills. Other linebackers may place higher on the list of most impactful LBs of all time, but the question asks who you would plug into the 2018 defense. Mills was effective in his own right, but his value to this team would be that he may have been the smartest MLB ever. He would position the defense on a given play to have the best chance of success. I think he would have the most impact as a run defender and have the guys on the outside where they needed to be in addition to setting the spots on the DL for maximum impact. Singletary would likely be my second choice.

After watching this I want to change my answer. It’s still Lawrence Taylor but I want to say I would want him over any player in history, period, lol. Dude was unreal. All these clips of him basically carrying the blocker into the QB as he crushed him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWB9ia_ZPjk&app=desktop&persist_app=1
A lot of times, on questions like these, I ask myself the opposite and my true feeling becomes clearer. I wondered what LB would I least like to see on the opposing team, and LT was it, no question.

The way the question is phrased leads me to choose what may be a homer pick, Sam Mills. Other linebackers may place higher on the list of most impactful LBs of all time, but the question asks who you would plug into the 2018 defense. Mills was effective in his own right, but his value to this team would be that he may have been the smartest MLB ever. He would position the defense on a given play to have the best chance of success. I think he would have the most impact as a run defender and have the guys on the outside where they needed to be in addition to setting the spots on the DL for maximum impact. Singletary would likely be my second choice.

Richard I assure you it’s not homerific. I am the antithesis of homerism sir. ?

Sam was without a doubt the most cerebral LB to ever play the game, at least that I’ve gotten to see in my 38 years or so of watching football.

I'm going to go "Future"... DEVON WHITE

Right now he is top 5 on most peoples draft list. So he wont be around when we pick, unless we play like we did against Tampa the rest of the year. Ive never had a problem with the Saints not selecting LSU players in the draft. I dont think they avoid them, its just circumstance. But yeah, the guy is going to be the next big thing at MLB in the NFL. I WISH we could get him, not because he is LSU alum, but because he is just going to be that damn good.

Lawrence Taylor. That is a pretty easy question and answer. You could 100% project his talent in today's NFL. He would dominate today.

If I am limited to the Saints it would be #57.

Right now he is top 5 on most peoples draft list. So he wont be around when we pick, unless we play like we did against Tampa the rest of the year. Ive never had a problem with the Saints not selecting LSU players in the draft. I dont think they avoid them, its just circumstance. But yeah, the guy is going to be the next big thing at MLB in the NFL. I WISH we could get him, not because he is LSU alum, but because he is just going to be that damn good.

We could lose the rest of our games and have the worst record, and our first pick would be #33... the first pick in the 2nd round. Green Bay on the other hand would have the #1 overall pick and that would be a soul killer. No worries though, we're going to make GB use our pick to draft very late in the first round.

But to the first part of your reply... We have a much better chance of actually landing Devon White than we do of getting Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary, Brian Urlacher, Sam Mills, etc...

No love for Vaughn Johnson? He would instantly solve the woes of our run-game defense, plus bring an extra attitude and swagger to the other 10 guys. EXACTLY the catalyst this defense needs! (although the guy who suggested Vilma as a QB for the defense also has merit, IMO)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom