If you wake up a student who is sleeping in class, you can expect to get sued... (2 Viewers)

I thought the article said no lawsuit had been filed.

Danbury officials have been notified they are being sued by a student who was awakened in class by a teacher who made a loud noise.

Documents filed with the Town Clerk, a prelude to a lawsuit, claim that a sleeping student suffered hearing damage when his teacher woke him up by slamming her hand down on the boy's desk. in December.

Attorney Alan Barry says 15-year-old Vinicios Robacher suffered pain and "very severe injuries to his left eardrum" when teacher Melissa Nadeau abruptly slammed the palm of her hand on his desk on Dec. 4.

http://wcbstv.com/local/Sleeping.Student.Lawsuit.2.676166.html

I had a simple solution for students who fell asleep in class. Of course they were soldiers so it was a bit different.

I'd keep lecturing and motion everybody to get up, go outside and take a break.

Then, I'd join them.

Ten minutes later, we'd all come back in and I'd have the student next to them give them a nudge and I'd say, "That concludes our review for tomorrow's exam. Make sure you remember what I told you. You can't pass this test without that, understand?"

The students would all nod their heads in agreement, leaving the bleary-eyed student desperately whispering to his companions, "What did he say? What did he tell you?"

The other students usually wouldn't let him in on the joke until later that evening, back at the barracks.

:smilielol:

I have never heard of filing suit by filing papers with the town clerk. What you quoted also says that it is a "prelude" to a lawsuit.

Ok, well it appears as though one will be happening. They intend to sue is what it looks like to me.

Seems like a silly thing to quibble about but if it makes you feel better I edited my other post to reflect the slight change.

Ok, well it appears as though one will be happening. They intend to sue is what it looks like to me.

Seems like a silly thing to quibble about but if it makes you feel better I edited my other post to reflect the slight change.

Its really not a slight change.
Either they are required to file a notice with the city, in which case it is likely that this is required as a mechanism to avert litigation and reach some conclusion without filing suit, or they are not required to file notice - in which case it is evidence that the plaintiffs do not want to file suit.

Yeah that was him, man did he ever have kids on their toes there. Probably straightened out his fair share of slackers.

Yeah, I was one of those slackers.

He told me in 8th grade.
Paraphrased

Boy you better check your pants because you are messing with a man. Your daddy gave me permission to take you outside smack the crap out of you but I think I will do it here in front of the class if you don't sit down and shut up.

That was his last year teaching before being a disciplinarian.

I had one high school teacher wake a student in our class by spraying him with a fire extinguisher. Another teacher of mine kicked the underside of my friend's desk so hard, while he was sleeping, the desk top flew across the room. The latter teacher's contract was not renewed and got another job at an all girl's school.

I think density of the desk would be more of a factor in how well it transmitted sound than firmness.

aye, density is the word I was looking for. thx.

This kind of crap scares me since when I finally get my degree and retire from AF, I plan to teach. My philosphy is that if you don't want to learn, I'm not going to force you. The only think I will not tolerate is disturbing/disrespecting others. Want to waste your time and sleep in class or not go to class? By all means sleep/stay home. Just don't whine when you get a 0 for class participation and it hurts your grade, probably giving you a F. However, I think I would only be able to do this legally in the university level since grade school teachers have little to no rights when it comes to students nowadays. It's like it's the teacher's fault that a student fails (I can only see that if every student fails, not just a few lazy kids).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom