If you wanna give Glenn and Allen a break, think about this. (1 Viewer)

Bum resigned

This is true. Wade was the interim coach the last 4 games in '85. Maybe Wade thought he should've been made the head coach in '86 by Benson (who bought the team in '85) instead of Mora?

Wow, typing that made me realize: the Saints have only had 4 permanent head coaches (forget fake news bountygate) since 86. That's kind of amazing.

I'm worried about that. Payton has history of bringing in, usually players, that gave him fits and when has that ever worked out? I'm worried the same could be true with coaches so I'm not sure if I want Zimmer here.

Zimmer coached along Payton in Dallas. Zimmer’s wife (rest in peace) helped baby sitting Payton’s kids. Sean hired Zimmer’s son to work with our linebackers.

I don’t know if Zimmer and/or Allen will be fired at season’s end.

We do know that Zimmer and Payton are very close friends.

Zimmer coached along Payton in Dallas. Zimmer’s wife (rest in peace) helped baby sitting Payton’s kids. Sean hired Zimmer’s son to work with our linebackers.

I don’t know if Zimmer and/or Allen will be fired at season’s end.

We do know that Zimmer and Payton are very close friends.

Honestly, if Zimmer is available come the offseason, he absolutely must be hired as DC unless he gets another head coaching gig. He and Payton have such a long and close friendship which I think might be perfect; Payton would have someone he fully trusts running the defense, and it is someone who has a reputation of fielding good defenses. I know the Vikings this year are a yikes, but not every good DC makes a good HC. If Zimmer is willing to be the DC here, then it needs to be goodbye to Dennis Allen.

There is a running quote on this forum that has been in place for years. It is unchanged and reflects poor coaching considering we have signed big names to to answer the question and have gotten nothing from the position.

"Can He Play Safety?".
The answer is "maybe"

Can we coach up the secondary?
The answer is no.

Lattimore's regression and Jenoris' struggles is a clear sign that these coaches suck for real. Latt became a ProBowler using the skillset he learned at Ohio. Both of the Jenkins were elite ProBowlers with their former teams and both look lost in this defense sometimes.

If not for an amazing solo stop by Davenport on a crucial 3rd down, we would have nothing good to say about the defensive game plan. Some will say, " but we won, can you just be happy about that?", to which my reply is, of course. But if you can't recognize the glaring problem that is Allen and Glenn, then how can you really expect to not have your heart broken in the most epic ways.

What are you basing this on?
Saints are 4-2 and defensively are about average in every category and except one category and that is passing TD's given up and that's not on the corner backs. The safety play has been Bad but I personally think Marcus Williams wasn't ask to do much at Utah but cover middle and roam. As far as Malcom Jenkins I think is suffering from not having a chance to practice through training camps and OTA's, he been an eagle for a while. This part of coaching I dont get. I dont understand why we dont simplify the coverage. Most touchdowns have been busted safety play or tight end slipping out. Receivers hadnt been really running wild on outside unless it was the safety responsibility. Example PJ williams steeping up leaving PRob in a busted coverage.

If Marshon gets 1 int and gets more balls thrown at him by more by incapable QB's such as Jalen ramsey playing all 4 nfc least teams, and hes not even much worst then Stephon Gilmore who is consideredtop CB in game. Marshon is not even that far off playing better QB's. Jenkins actually been really good. Cornerbacks going give up completions and touchdowns. That's just the nature of the game.
We played Tom Brady, Derek Carr, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Teddy Bridgewater. Hebert hasnt been a bad either.

kPlayerTmAgepiece of workGGSIntTgtCmpCmp%YdsYds/CmpYds/TgtTDRat
97​
Marshon LattimoreNOR
24​
cb
5​
5​
0​
25​
16​
64.00%​
264​
16.5​
10.6​
2​
126.1​
79​
Janoris JenkinsNOR
32​
cb
4​
4​
1​
21​
12​
57.10%​
139​
11.6​
6.6​
0​
57.4​
60​
Stephon GilmoreNWE
30​
cb
6​
6​
1​
30​
16​
53.30%​
218​
13.6​
7.3​
1​
74​
83​
Jalen RamseyLAR
26​
cb
7​
7​
1​
33​
17​
51.50%​
186​
10.9​
5.6​
1​
66​

To me, it's almost too late at this point. I think we are past the point of wait and see with Allen. It's not happening this year with this defense. Ideally you'd make the change with enough time before the trade deadline in case some player personnel adjustments are needed under the new leadership as well.

If the defense let's Chicago's offense look like KC's, then I hope we act quick and make a change to at least attempt to salvage the season.

We played Tom Brady, Derek Carr, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Teddy Bridgewater. Hebert hasnt been a bad either.

I think this is the money quote, we played top tier QBs, once we play average to below average, then the defense will be ok. But on the other hand, in the playoffs, as others have mentioned, we will face top tier QBs, so our FS play better be good starting about right now.

What are you basing this on?
Saints are 4-2 and defensively are about average in every category and except one category and that is passing TD's given up and that's not on the corner backs.

If you dig a little deeper, you'll find these important stats that we are not ranked so well in either. I'm sure there's probably more, but we are:
24th in points allowed per game
28th in takeaways
29th in 3rd down conversions allowed
30th in 4th down conversions allowed
32 (last) in red zone defense,
Then there's the penalties that have been killer, although we know some were bogus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom