If you want Drew Brees to be forgiven (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused. If Kap said it wasn't about the flag or disrespecting the military or our nation, but he said, "I'm not standing for a flag that represents a nation that oppresses blacks". Which is it? Or both?

Do you get it when diehard Saints fan point out and discuss the problems with the team?

I'm confused. If Kap said it wasn't about the flag or disrespecting the military or our nation, but he said, "I'm not standing for a flag that represents a nation that oppresses blacks". Which is it? Or both?
Timeline& explanation:

Aug. 26, 2016 — Kaepernick, who at the time is entering his sixth NFL season, all with the 49ers, sits on the bench during the national anthem before San Francisco's preseason home game against Green Bay. It's not the first time he has sat during the anthem, but his action is noticed by reporters.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick tells NFL Media after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Aug. 30, 2016 — Former Seahawks player and Green Beret Nate Boyer writes an open letter to Kaepernick from the perspective of a supportive military member. The two meet in person a day later, and Boyer talks Kaepernick into changing his method of protest from sitting to kneeling during the national anthem out of respect.

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer tells HBO. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security."

Sept. 1, 2016 — Kaepernick proceeds with his new method of protest, kneeling rather than sitting, before the 49ers' final preseason game, a road contest against the Chargers. This time he is joined by San Francisco safety Eric Reid. This becomes the duo's method of protest for the entire season.

Sept. 1, 2016 — After the Chargers game, Kaepernick pledges to donate $1 million of his 2016 salary to organizations he believes can help his cause. "The media painted this as I'm anti-American, anti-men and women of the military, and that's not the case at all," he says. "I realize that men and women of the military go out and sacrifice their lives and put themselves in harm's way for my freedom of speech and my freedoms in this country, and my freedom to take a seat or take a knee. So I have the utmost respect for them. ...

"The message is we have a lot of issues in this country that we need to deal with. We have a lot of people that are oppressed. We have a lot of people that aren't treated equal, given equal opportunities. Police brutality is a huge thing that needs to be addressed. There are a lot of issues that need to be talked about, to be brought to life, and we need to fix those."

link:

I think that we are recycling the same thoughts and exchanges over and over again, and that this topic has run it's course. So I am closing this thread.

Thirteen members have been banned over the Brees' statement issue. Thirteen! Many others have given us their "I'm leaving and not coming back or delete my account" notices. Let's move on! If I have to explain it further, it will be a very long-winded post that I would prefer not to write. Bottom line is that sociopolitical discussions are divisive, and hence bad for board health. These discussions were necessary, but go against board policy.

We've given everyone plenty of time and opportunity to discuss and debate the issue of Brees' statement. The mod team is worn out, many members are tired of it, and It's time to move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom