If you want Drew Brees to be forgiven (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our flag is a symbol for us to rally around in good times and bad. It represents togetherness, our nation, our homes, our freedom, our trust in each other. That flag has never represented anything divisive, and anyone who disrespects it is trying to be divisive. When times are good, celebrate under our flag, because our togetherness made the good times. When times are bad, it's not our symbol of togetherness causing it. When we are wronged, our flag should be ground zero for joining together to right the wrongs.
I don't know if you got the memo but not everyone views the flag the same way, just as not every American shares the same experience with the police in this country.

Given the results of the past presidential election, I'd venture to say that there are more people that share Drew Brees' beliefs about the flag than don't. Unfortunately, most of those people don't use twitter as vociferously as the ones calling for his head and since he's a year younger than I am... his profession is now saturated by those types of people and he now has to navigate those waters. 🤷🏾‍♂️
I think that is quite the leap to make based on one election, especially one in which the winner lost the popular vote by millions.

Also, are you really trying to argue that the people who were/are against the kneeling (president included) were NOT incredibly loud, angry, and vociferous on social media?

If you want Drew Brees to be forgiven... Just forgive him. One terribly insensitive comment does not equal a mans character and everything he has done for his community. Brees has never done anything to otherwise assume he is a terrible person. Allow him to accept his mistake and LEARN from it. Allow him to listen and change his opinion. This “cancel culture” is terrible and only further divides people when we should be trying to unite.

Last edited:
First game back, Drew taking a knee during the anthem, as the leader of his team, couldn't hurt. Or standing with his hands on the shoulders of the men beside him if they do. Tangible gestures that he's really trying to get it, and willing to absorb any backlash on their behalf this time.

A sizable financial donation to justice and reform efforts headed up by Davis, Jordan, other players would be a meaningful action.

Using his platform to advance equality and justice going forward, and not leaving it at (what seems like) a heartfelt apology.

If anything, I think it would be more helpful for Drew and Malcolm to sit down and talk.

Each man has to step up and "steelman" the other's position. In other words, state the other man's position such that he actually agrees with it. If possible, even try to make the other man's position stronger.

It's not an easy thing to do.

Even in his first statement, Drew was very clear that he supported the underlying cause. He even went further in his second.

Requiring more from him at this point sounds like a demand that he seek absolution for sins he never actually committed simply because there is perceived leverage against him.

That doesn't sound like what teammates acting in good faith toward reconciliation would do.

And if people are acting in bad faith, nothing he can do will ever be enough. The only question will be is there more pressure to exert.

Hey those criticizing Brees, try doing as much as he has done for the minority community, then get back to me. That includes you T’radaviuis White. One misstatement doesn’t change who Brees is or belittle in any way what he has accomplished on and off the field.

Hey those criticizing Brees, try doing as much as he has done for the minority community, then get back to me. That includes you T’radaviuis White. One misstatement doesn’t change who Brees is or belittle in any way what he has accomplished on and off the field.
Are you talking about the Black community in New Orleans? My family goes back generations in the city. You need come back to reality, the struggle for equality has very little to do with a rich white person making donations.

Are you talking about the Black community in New Orleans? My family goes back generations in the city. You need come back to reality, the struggle for equality has very little to do with a rich white person making donations.

I think he was talking about what Drew has done. Drew only arrived in NOLA after Katrina, he is not responsible for inequalities going back generations.

Look at the individual man.

If anything, I think it would be more helpful for Drew and Malcolm to sit down and talk.

Each man has to step up and "steelman" the other's position. In other words, state the other man's position such that he actually agrees with it. If possible, even try to make the other man's position stronger.

It's not an easy thing to do.

Even in his first statement, Drew was very clear that he supported the underlying cause. He even went further in his second.

Requiring more from him at this point sounds like a demand that he seek absolution for sins he never actually committed simply because there is perceived leverage against him.

That doesn't sound like what teammates acting in good faith toward reconciliation would do.

And if people are acting in bad faith, nothing he can do will ever be enough. The only question will be is there more pressure to exert.
This is the digital mob "cancel culture" which uses ritual public shaming to extract groveling for forgiveness.

I don't agree with blind unquestioning obedience to anything, let alone a flag. But a lot of people do. It's one of those human things that is personal and emotional and to a degree like a religious belief.

It's gets ugly when you try to pressure people out of those kinds of beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom