If you want Drew Brees to be forgiven (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not enough. Those who are unwilling to accept his apology will never forgive him. So why exactly should he waste his team trying to appease people? If he does anything at all, it should be on his own free will and not coerced by the masses.

Some people have nothing better to do than wallow in negativity. Brees made an effort to turn this around, and that’s all that matters.

I found this to be a very eloquent explanation of the issue from Nick Wright. He doesn't go easy on Drew and I found it uncomfortable to watch, but it also explains a range of issues and outlines what Drew needs to understand in order to receive more widespread acceptance of his apology.

IMHO, Brees apologized but did not actually change his position on the personal importance he places on the flag and anthem. But that's OK, also IMHO, so long as he listens and comes to understand where his teammates are coming from.
Brees talks about disrespect to the flag and dishonoring veterans. I can't buy it. My father was a Dauntless dive-bomber pilot in WWII and said about Vietnam war protesters "It's their right to protest, we fight wars to protect that right"

I don't always agree with what celebrities I like say. Brees' true friends in the locker room will support him. Those friends who now say they don't like Drew were never really a friend. I want to see how Cameron Jordan reacts. He is the leader on the defense and how he reacts will tell me a lot of where the Saints are. Coach Payton should call an all player meeting to discuss the situation and get unity as best he can back in the locker room. Any player not willing to forgive should be shown the door. For those calling for Brees to retire or leave the Saints, move on. Can you imagine the Saints releasing Brees and he ends up on the Patriots. No chance he leaves and he should not retire. Players welcome back players who get convicted of beating a female or committing other crimes. Forgiveness is always mentioned. If players want to start using morals to judge each other, look out. I did not hear Brees say he wants the kneeling to stop or that he dislikes the people who are kneeling. He basically said kneeling was not for him. Let's move on. 99.9% of America does believe the actions of the cop was wrong and allow the courts decide what happens next. Isn't that what Kapernick wanted, people to be educated on social injustice which lead to 99.9% of America agreeing in this latest instance. America is listening. Treat others with respect and the world will be alright.

Last edited:
I don't always agree with what celebrities I like say. Brees' true friends in the locker room will support him. Those friends who now say they don't like Drew were never really a friend. I want to see how Cameron Jordan reacts. He is the leader on the defense and how he reacts will tell me a lot of where the Saints are. Coach Payton should call an all player meeting to discuss the situation and get unity as best he can back in the locker room.
This meeting has taken place, and by all accounts went positively. And Cam Jordan tweeted out in support of Brees’ apology this morning along with several other players

There is no such thing as "your truth" or "my truth." There is only the truth.

I respect your opinion, but in my humble opinion and that of someone who knows exponentially more than me, the Buddha said, "Gather 10people and have them look at t a cloud and tell us what they see. You will see 10 different perceptions. All these are, are perceptions, not the truth."That's all we have, perceptions and they differ. To use The Truth, and I don't think you came across like this at all, is actually arrogance that my perception is the truth and your perception is wrong. That's just kinda human nature, nit good or bad, just human nature.

All is cool brother, we are in this together! - Dan

I don't always agree with what celebrities I like say. Brees' true friends in the locker room will support him. Those friends who now say they don't like Drew were never really a friend. I want to see how Cameron Jordan reacts. He is the leader on the defense and how he reacts will tell me a lot of where the Saints are. Coach Payton should call an all player meeting to discuss the situation and get unity as best he can back in the locker room. Any player not willing to forgive should be shown the door. For those calling for Brees to retire or leave the Saints, move on. Can you imagine the Saints releasing Brees and he ends up on the Patriots. No chance he leaves and he should not retire. Players welcome back players who get convicted of beating a female or committing other crimes. Forgiveness is always mentioned. If players want to start using morals to judge each other, look out. I did not hear Brees say he wants the kneeling to stop or that he dislikes the people who are kneeling. He basically said kneeling was not for him. Let's move on. 99.9% of America does believe the actions of the cop was wrong and allow the courts decide what happens next. Isn't that what Kapernick wanted, people to be educated on social injustice which lead to 99.9% of America agreeing in this latest instance. America is listening. Treat others with respect and the world will be alright.
I love what you said. I've been so upset all day about Drew Brees' name dragged in the mud. I'm so ready for football to start.

First game back, Drew taking a knee during the anthem, as the leader of his team, couldn't hurt. Or standing with his hands on the shoulders of the men beside him if they do. Tangible gestures that he's really trying to get it, and willing to absorb any backlash on their behalf this time.

A sizable financial donation to justice and reform efforts headed up by Davis, Jordan, other players would be a meaningful action.

Using his platform to advance equality and justice going forward, and not leaving it at (what seems like) a heartfelt apology.

People forget that Brees actually did take a knee with the whole team during the anthem one time.

People forget that Brees actually did take a knee with the whole team during the anthem one time.

I only recall him taking a knee with the team before the anthem, as a compromise show of support.

(I'm not copying the image in here to avoid unauthorized use, but I've included the caption below that accompanied the image.)

Drew Brees (9) and his New Orleans Saints teammates knelt before and stood together during the playing of the national anthem before an N.F.L. game in 2017.Credit...Tim Ireland/Associated Press

This is on the news feed now

This is on the news feed now

As I read your insensitive words about players kneeling and, you could never respect them because of your grandfathers serving in World War II.

Way to twist Drew's words

Well, I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country. Let me just tell you what I see or what I feel when the National Anthem is played and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers who fought for this country during World War II, one in the Army, and one of the Marine Corps, both risking their lives to protect our country and to try to make our country and this world a better place.

So every time I stand with my hand over my heart, looking at that flag and singing the National Anthem, that’s what I think about. And in many cases, it brings me to tears thinking about all that has been sacrificed, not just those in the military, but for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the ’60s and everyone, and all that has been endured by so many people up until this point. And is everything right with our country right now? No, it’s not, we still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and showing respect to the flag with your hand over your heart is it shows unity, it shows that we are all in this together, we can all do better and then we are all part of the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom