If you were Colston, would you hold out next year? (1 Viewer)

MoJoMan

Reaction score
Considering that Saints WR Marques Colston is being considered as ROY and an alternate to the Pro Bowl. Being grossly underpaid as a 7th round draft choice, do you think he and his agent will try to force a contract renegotiation?

As of this week, Colston is rated the fifth best reciever in the league.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playerrankings/regularseason/WR

I hate to put a damper on the run to the Superbowl, but if you were Marques, what would you do? What do you think the Saints will do?

:dunno:

Last edited:
Why should he holdout? His contract can't be restructured until the middle of the season (I think)... so he has to honor it. But I think the FO will reward him at their 1st opportunity.

You see Reggie Brown got a new deal in the middle of the season... I don't know what the rule states, but I know it has to be after a few games in their second season.

Someone throw me a bone here... :dunno:

You are a freaking idiot! You don't even know how to spell his name! Why do you assume that he will be this good anywhere else or if he would have been drafted by any other team. One of his biggest knocks against him coming out of college was route running. Now he is one of the best. Do you think our coaching helped him a little, form going from awful to one of the best. It doesn't just happen over night. Plus the reason why he is getting so many looks is because of the other weapons on the team and Drew Brees. If he is so great he would have caught the pass on 3rd down last week that went right through his hands.

If i were Marques I would be thanking my lucky stars that a coach had confidence in me and that I was drafted by this team and not the Lions or the Raiders

We've been know to do some dumb things in the past and let great players get away, but I don't see that this time. The F.O. will make him an offer. The question will be, will he hold out to see if gets a better offer from another team? Afterall, this is a business. His agent will try to get him the best deal.

Considering that Saints WR Marques Colston is being considered as ROY and an alternate to the Pro Bowl. Being grossly underpaid as a 7th round draft choice, do you think he and his agent will try to force a contract renegotiation?

As of this week, Colston is rated the fifth best reciever in the league.
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playerrankings/regularseason/WR

I hate to put a damper on the run to the Superbowl, but if you were Marques, what would you do? What do you think the Saints will do?

:dunno:

He can't force a contract renegotiation, NFL rules prohibit it. Colston doesn't strike me as a complete moron.

Colston should sign Drew Rosenhaus and hold out all of training camp and demand big money call Drew Brees a homo and demand to be traded to the Eagles

Both sides would be prudent to wait until after next season. Colston can put skins on the wall and the Saints should/would renegotiate to get him under a longer term deal. Continue to put up numbers like he has this year will compensate him for what he didn't make his first two years. That being said, after the end of next year if his deal is not renegotiated after putting up similar numbers, he should sit out. I don't think it will come to that at all. He will still have two years on a rookie contract remaining and would be offered Joe Horn type money if not more.

Also, the NFL has a performance based pay fund set up to reward players at the end of the year whose pay doesn't match up to the time they are on the field, so Colston will no doubt be receiving a bonus at the end of the year from that.

Plus, the further you go in the playoffs, the more extra money all of the players will make so, while Colston won't be making any down payments on a new Ferrari, he should easily double, and maybe even triple, his base pay.

i hear somewhere that low round picks who play alot are due a "performance bonus" from the league or something

Also, the NFL has a performance based pay fund set up to reward players at the end of the year whose pay doesn't match up to the time they are on the field, so Colston will no doubt be receiving a bonus at the end of the year from that.

Plus, the further you go in the playoffs, the more extra money all of the players will make so, while Colston won't be making any down payments on a new Ferrari, he should easily double, and maybe even triple, his base pay.

Unfourtantly that performance based pay comes from a pool everybody on a team shares I believe. ie each team gets the same pool and then splits it amongest their players.

So sadly for Colston he'll be splitting it with all kinds of suprising starters with minimum salaries.

Unfourtantly that performance based pay comes from a pool everybody on a team shares I believe. ie each team gets the same pool and then splits it amongest their players.

So sadly for Colston he'll be splitting it with all kinds of suprising starters with minimum salaries.

Yeah, everybody on the team splits the share...on the article that I saw about it even Brett Favre got a 5,000 dollar bonus either last year or the year before, so Colston definitely won't be the only Saint in line for this.

I don't know enough about it to say, but hopefully the team has full discretion to award the bonuses (as opposed to some set formula that they have to follow) so maybe they can make sure Colston gets a generous bonus. But, I don't know how that works.

He can't force a contract renegotiation, NFL rules prohibit it. Colston doesn't strike me as a complete moron.

what he said...

Yeah, everybody on the team splits the share...on the article that I saw about it even Brett Favre got a 5,000 dollar bonus either last year or the year before, so Colston definitely won't be the only Saint in line for this.

I don't know enough about it to say, but hopefully the team has full discretion to award the bonuses (as opposed to some set formula that they have to follow) so maybe they can make sure Colston gets a generous bonus. But, I don't know how that works.

I think it's a set formula based on playing time compared to salary, all put up against league averages.

Colston will probably get more then Jahri Evans for example even though Evans played more downs and has a similiarly small contract because starting WR's on average earn more. But Colston will still have to split the pie so many ways because of the huge number of small contract Saints getting big time.

At least I think that's how things work. I'm to lazy to look it up ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom