If you were ever curious about how far you can go on EMPTY (1 Viewer)

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like to go just a little bit further..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XVl0ROZS4kw?list=PLlib4QPg6T2lpb35HgeF8IGgCZ7_HyZy9" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gump

Which was better? Super bowl 44 or 51?
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know that there was that many miles! Lmao. I thought it was like 2 or 3 miles. Guess I was wrong.

cdogg

THE WOOD WAS BROUGHT
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Kramer showed me the way on that. I've never felt more alive than that night.

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I had a Kawasaki KZ400 with no fuel gauge in college. You'd just shake it to hear the fuel slosh back and forth. If it started to sputter while riding, you flipped the fuel valve from "main" to "reserve" but if on your last fill-up you forgot to flip back to "main" then you pushed :hihi:

BroKV

Pelón
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've gone 40-45 on the low fuel light in my Civic

LOONEY

gulf war vet
Reaction score
so you are "that guy" ?

lol
My dad is that guy anytime he buys a new car the first thing he does is test to see how far he can drive on empty, my mom had to bring him a can of gas twice when he ran out on i-12. first with his truck and the second with his vette.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When I was much younger, I ran out of gas at an intersection once - car stalled and gauge was completely empty. I just kept cranking it and driving forward until I could pull into the gas station. There obviously was enough gas in the system for it to crank several times and I could get there without pushing it.

I figured that probably isn't good for the car, but it solved the problem at the moment.

OP
efil4stnias

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
My dad is that guy anytime he buys a new car the first thing he does is test to see how far he can drive on empty, my mom had to bring him a can of gas twice when he ran out on i-12. first with his truck and the second with his vette.
LOL.

least he not moochin. lolol

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My dad always got annoyed whenever I would let my fuel run down to virtually nothing before refilling.

His position on the matter was that fuel tanks have grit and other deposits that are heavier than the gasoline and they fall to the bottom of the gasoline in the tank, but if you run it nearly dry, that material remains in suspension and will run through the engine - potentially doing harm.

First, I suspect he was always right about it. But I also suspect that it was a bigger deal back in the 60s and 70s, when gasoline wasn't nearly as clean as it is now.

LOONEY

gulf war vet
Reaction score
My dad always got annoyed whenever I would let my fuel run down to virtually nothing before refilling.

His position on the matter was that fuel tanks have grit and other deposits that are heavier than the gasoline and they fall to the bottom of the gasoline in the tank, but if you run it nearly dry, that material remains in suspension and will run through the engine - potentially doing harm.

First, I suspect he was always right about it. But I also suspect that it was a bigger deal back in the 60s and 70s, when gasoline wasn't nearly as clean as it is now.
Chuck my dad does this because of the 70's, due to the gas lines and stations running out of gas. He says we need to know how far a car can go on empty because we never know when this could happen again. It drives my mom crazy.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Typically, the fuel pump is situated inside the gas tank and is cooled by the surrounding liquid gasoline. Completely emptying the tank will risk overheating the fuel pump, so be careful. Not to mention that (supposedly) any trash in the tank will get picked up and sent into your fuel filter. I'm not as confident with that one, though.

That said, when getting a new vehicle I've always thought it was a good idea to take a 5ga gas can and see just how far you can go once the tank reads "empty", just to establish a baseline because there will always be a situation in which you cannot make it to a gas station in time. Note that I've never actually done this.

Edit: Oh, I see I took too long to finish my post, all this has already been said. Except for the fuel pump overheating issue.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nah - you'll probably just end up with a plugged fuel filter. My dad's '59 Mercedes used to go through fuel filters once a month or something. Never thought it was odd until I became a driver and never really needed to fool with them. The inside of that gas tank must have been pretty awful.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Chuck my dad does this because of the 70's, due to the gas lines and stations running out of gas. He says we need to know how far a car can go on empty because we never know when this could happen again. It drives my mom crazy.
Advise him to bring a gas can next time ;)

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I usually start the process of filling up my tank before it gets to E. Even if it is $7-$10 bucks worth of gas. Like the article states once it gets to E you can start doing damage to some engine parts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom