If you were ever curious about how far you can go on EMPTY (1 Viewer)

Nah - you'll probably just end up with a plugged fuel filter. My dad's '59 Mercedes used to go through fuel filters once a month or something. Never thought it was odd until I became a driver and never really needed to fool with them. The inside of that gas tank must have been pretty awful.
Yep. I had a 95 BMW 530i I changed the fuel pump on when it and had to change it again the following year. A few guys I know that are bimmer nuts told me not to let the fuel level get below 1/8th of a tank. The fuel filter lasted another 4 years before I had to change it again.

My little Gas Low light stays on all the time... haha... I don;t worry about it anyway... I know how far "Below" E my gauge can go... Sometimes I will do a side to side movement real quick just to see if I get a bump out of the needle. Tells me I have a good gallon or so in there.... But that's my Cherokee...

My Wrangler... Different story.... The way it likes gas... Once it says E. I start looking.

Oh. and that little light that tells me when to shift? Who idea was that. What a waste of 12v power.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TuEdU_lrtZk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My first car's fuel gauge was broken, so actually when it read 1/4 left, it was really empty. Sputter and stop and push empty. Imagine my shock when I figured that out the first time... and proceeded to forget that's how it do about 5 more times.:hihi:

I've ran out of gas more times than I can count. In college I drove a T-Bird (we called it the T-Nerd) for about 1 year with the digital dash not working. Completely dark. I thought the computer blew up and those are expensive to fix, so I just drove it and tried to keep gas in it. I was 18 or so though, so I ran out many, many times. The worst of which was with a fire truck bearing down on me with its lights on. Also, turned out the problem was a $5 blown fuse and not the computer. :covri:

Then for a few years in my 20's I had a Lexus GS300 that would run out of gas with the needle still pointing at about 1/16 of a tank. That burned me several times. You'd think I'd have learned to fill up when it hit a quarter tank, but I always thought I could make it just a LITTLE bit further.

i rented a ford crown vic many years ago which told how many miles you had left before running out. i was on the indiana turnpike and decided i was smarter than the car, knowing the next chance for gas was 2 miles beyond the stated allowance.

the 4 mile walk to and fro from the service plaza was not pleasant

Nissan Altimas can go the farthest when the low fuel light is on.

And I have taken mine many times to the point that instead of displaying remaining miles, it just shows - - -.

I've always operated as if there's one gallon left when you get to E/no estimated remaining mileage, so it depends on your average MPG, and it's never let me down. When I drove a Titan, I made sure to get gas with 15 miles of E, and in my Santa Fe, I know I'm good for at least another 30 (haven't pushed it farther than that).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom