If you were ever curious about how far you can go on EMPTY (1 Viewer)

I like to go just a little bit further..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XVl0ROZS4kw?list=PLlib4QPg6T2lpb35HgeF8IGgCZ7_HyZy9" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow I didn't know that there was that many miles! Lmao. I thought it was like 2 or 3 miles. Guess I was wrong.

I had a Kawasaki KZ400 with no fuel gauge in college. You'd just shake it to hear the fuel slosh back and forth. If it started to sputter while riding, you flipped the fuel valve from "main" to "reserve" but if on your last fill-up you forgot to flip back to "main" then you pushed :hihi:

so you are "that guy" ?

lol

My dad is that guy anytime he buys a new car the first thing he does is test to see how far he can drive on empty, my mom had to bring him a can of gas twice when he ran out on i-12. first with his truck and the second with his vette.

When I was much younger, I ran out of gas at an intersection once - car stalled and gauge was completely empty. I just kept cranking it and driving forward until I could pull into the gas station. There obviously was enough gas in the system for it to crank several times and I could get there without pushing it.

I figured that probably isn't good for the car, but it solved the problem at the moment.

My dad is that guy anytime he buys a new car the first thing he does is test to see how far he can drive on empty, my mom had to bring him a can of gas twice when he ran out on i-12. first with his truck and the second with his vette.

LOL.

least he not moochin. lolol

My dad always got annoyed whenever I would let my fuel run down to virtually nothing before refilling.

His position on the matter was that fuel tanks have grit and other deposits that are heavier than the gasoline and they fall to the bottom of the gasoline in the tank, but if you run it nearly dry, that material remains in suspension and will run through the engine - potentially doing harm.

First, I suspect he was always right about it. But I also suspect that it was a bigger deal back in the 60s and 70s, when gasoline wasn't nearly as clean as it is now.

My dad always got annoyed whenever I would let my fuel run down to virtually nothing before refilling.

His position on the matter was that fuel tanks have grit and other deposits that are heavier than the gasoline and they fall to the bottom of the gasoline in the tank, but if you run it nearly dry, that material remains in suspension and will run through the engine - potentially doing harm.

First, I suspect he was always right about it. But I also suspect that it was a bigger deal back in the 60s and 70s, when gasoline wasn't nearly as clean as it is now.

Chuck my dad does this because of the 70's, due to the gas lines and stations running out of gas. He says we need to know how far a car can go on empty because we never know when this could happen again. It drives my mom crazy.

I usually start the process of filling up my tank before it gets to E. Even if it is $7-$10 bucks worth of gas. Like the article states once it gets to E you can start doing damage to some engine parts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom