If your a D-Coordinator...how do you stop Breesus? (1 Viewer)

You said it. When Brees is rattled he becomes extremely mortal and will make careless mistakes. Get a good push up the middle to keep him from stepping up into the pocket and smack that lil rascal around early and he'll come down a few notches. Thats the only way to beat Brees and most defenses just are not talented or physical enough to do it consistently.

Even when Brees is "rattled" he's still better then most of the QB's in this league.

What you guys are saying is true for all QB's, including Peyton Manning. As usual, it's much easier said then done.

Nailed It!

You can beat Drew with a good cover 2/Tampa 2 D. The difference this year is that we have a better run game and TE, which are the keys to beating a cover 2.

Or...

If we fall way behind, and Drew has to abandon the run game.

Or.....

Have an effective ball control O that keeps our O on the sidelines, like we used to do to the Rams and Warner.

yeah it worked really well in 2007 but this year defenses are screwed.

the bills will give it their best shot with marcus stroud, aaron schobel, and aaron maybin and likely try to drop into the same zone they played against the pats but thats going to be dangerous against bush and shockey. and Lynell hamilton has good feet for the cutback like bell despite going 230lbs.

he had 95yds against the raiders on 16 carries that would've been 100 had a TD not been called back in the preseason and then showed that he is also a decent reciever out of the backfield against the dolphins so he can also exploit that deep over-the-top coverage with similar screens that the bills run for jackson.

Even when Brees is "rattled" he's still better then most of the QB's in this league.

Brees is better than every qb in this league IMO. But with that said, I have seen him become completely unhinged when he's pressured early or is put in a position to come from behind. Sometimes he can recover, most times he cant. If you have them, refer back to the 2006 Ravens and Redskins games and the championship game. Plus last years Tampa Bay game. Even the great ones get rattled, but P. Manning, Rothlesberger, and Brady had defenses that could bail them out and they would normally still win the game. With us, if Brees is off, we're screwed. I think thats why his poorer games stand out so much.

The only weakness that I've seen is Brees is his height.
Judging by the Coordinator for the Bills...they are scared to blitz him...because he reads coverages so well he knows where the blitz is coming from and routinely throws to the open area.

However, i do not remember which game it was...but when drew got heavy pressure from the A and B gaps...he was unable to find a clear view to throw.
We all know that blitzing from the C gaps and trying to overload doesn't really work because he has enough pocket awareness and a quick release to negate those types of blitzes at least 90% of the time.

The quickest way to anything is in a straight line...timing is everything. As you saw on those 2 swing passes to reggie...you thwart the timing of this offense and its pretty much an incompletion.

I also noticed that we rarely attack the short middle of the field.....the intermediate middle..yes but the short middle i don't see it...though i could be wrong.

I think if a defense were to blitz drew up the middle... often and early and throw off our timing it would really effect us. Instead of defenses trying to stop Drew so much and paying attention to him...why not pay attention more to the people that get the ball most often. If you blitz up the middle chances are he cant get that ball off for a deep play...its going to be a check down...a relatively quick check down@that if there is adequate pressure.

Make form open field tackles on our receivers and they would probably be in good shape. Colston doesn't really break a lot of tackles as he is a big target to hit and wrap-up. Meachem is probably the only receiver that would give a defense fits with is RAC ability. Devery is a speed guy..who has shown that he can catch now..but if you blitz then that pretty much negates him...as he is prone to the usual mental lapse(running away from the first down after the catch....two weeks in a row though he got it last week) Reggie gets discouraged after a bunch of open field tackles and can be easily frustrated. Lance is our hands guy and will make catches no matter what...and move the chains...but he won't hurt you deep.

Case in point....... I know they are two weeks away..but if Rex Ryan doesn't decided to bite his lip like Sean Mcdermott and Jim Shwartz did...and BACK OFF on the blitz we will have a tough day. I know its obvious that Drew Shreds the blitz...but if you blitz him up the middle 10x...i don't think its possible he shreds you all 10X's. Even though it seems better to drop everyone in coverage i would have to disagree, and the only person who would do the opposite of that is probably Rex Ryan.

So what would you do?

Oh side note........anyone forsee Jammal Brown being moved to RT when he returns?

You blitz brees heavily up the middle Reggie will torture you in the passing game and could take it to the house.

Well its gonna take a lot but here goes.
1. Defense that puts pressure on Breesus with only 3 or 4 and and get good pressure up the middle in the throwing lanes. Squeeze the pocket quickly. Make him throw in 3 seconds or less with a 3 or 4 man rush.
2. Stop the run.
3. Cover all the receivers with guys that are taller and faster including Reggie out of the backfield and Shockey against a linebacker.
4. Your offense has to keep the ball at least 35 to 40 minutes and score 30+ points.
Sounds like that defense will need about 12 or 13 guys.

I think the Giants have the best blueprint for shutting us down this year, if they prove to still have the same traditional dominance they've had in years past. Excellent front four that can pressure without the blitz, a physical secondary that can throw off our receiver's timing, and a pummeling run game to keep Brees and Co. off the field. Thing is, I don't know yet if that gameplan will have the same success against us at it has in the past.

First off, we have the emergence of our own run game, which can be highly effective against teams like the Giants and Colts who are built to beat the pass. Look at last weekend's games. Both of those teams should've lost, except the Cowboys and Phins choked the victory away. They were getting absolutely killed on the ground, partially because of their zone-style defense as well as the general philosophy of the dline to rush into the backfield.

Secondly, we have EXTREMELY versatile playmakers. We can line up in a power run I-form, with Shockey, Wendy's Man, Meachem, Evans, and PT/Bell/Bush, and either run the rock right down your throat or hurl long bombs down the field (see the Meachem TD in Detroit). Of course, every team can do that, but we can be wildly effective with both because of how versatile our offense is. All the aforementioned guys are outstanding blockers, but all of them can also *really* hurt you in their own right. Look at what Evans is doing for us and you'll see what I mean. It's not just the quality and quantity of our offensive weapons that makes us nearly impossible to stop, it's also their adeptness at switching roles. Payton obviously highly values this particular trait in his players, which is evident in his going out to get guys like Shockey, Evans, and Dave Thomas.

It's still early, but I see our offense as being virtually unstoppable right now. The only way to beat it is to guess right, and you can't do that every time.

tonya-harding-gillooly-hsma-vertical.jpg

Comes down to the athletic ability of your defensive personal. Creating pressure with your front 4 would be key. If you can't establish that then you are playing with fire because, as mentioned above, if Brees gets into a rhythm your in trouble. If you can rattle him early and get him to throw pick, he will get aggravated. Hit him hard and hit him often, early. Mix it up, blitz LBs, drop back DEs.

One thing is for sure, someone will challenge Brees. It will be fun to watch. IMO, defenses get better as the year plays out. Players and schemes get figured out.
Its basically a 5 month long chess match

If i was a D Coordinator i would 1) Hope for a snowstorm/rainstorm 2) Try to keep him off the field as much as possible. I know TOP isn't THAT big of a deal, but it helps. 3) Hope that i have physical corners who can man coverage 4) Have some very very creative blitzes.

I think the Giants have the best blueprint for shutting us down this year, if they prove to still have the same traditional dominance they've had in years past. Excellent front four that can pressure without the blitz, a physical secondary that can throw off our receiver's timing, and a pummeling run game to keep Brees and Co. off the field. Thing is, I don't know yet if that gameplan will have the same success against us at it has in the past.

First off, we have the emergence of our own run game, which can be highly effective against teams like the Giants and Colts who are built to beat the pass. Look at last weekend's games. Both of those teams should've lost, except the Cowboys and Phins choked the victory away. They were getting absolutely killed on the ground, partially because of their zone-style defense as well as the general philosophy of the dline to rush into the backfield.

Secondly, we have EXTREMELY versatile playmakers. We can line up in a power run I-form, with Shockey, Wendy's Man, Meachem, Evans, and PT/Bell/Bush, and either run the rock right down your throat or hurl long bombs down the field (see the Meachem TD in Detroit). Of course, every team can do that, but we can be wildly effective with both because of how versatile our offense is. All the aforementioned guys are outstanding blockers, but all of them can also *really* hurt you in their own right. Look at what Evans is doing for us and you'll see what I mean. It's not just the quality and quantity of our offensive weapons that makes us nearly impossible to stop, it's also their adeptness at switching roles. Payton obviously highly values this particular trait in his players, which is evident in his going out to get guys like Shockey, Evans, and Dave Thomas.

It's still early, but I see our offense as being virtually unstoppable right now. The only way to beat it is to guess right, and you can't do that every time.
Brees beat Coughlin, Manning and the Giants in 2006.

But at that point they hadn't quite finished building that D-line yet...

Interior pass rush and anybody else who can get into throwing lanes. Brees likes to step up in the pocket when he can't it throws off his rhythm.

The better thing to do is be physical with the receivers and try to disrupt their game. Devery, Meach, Reggie, and Shockey can all be taken out of their game pretty easily with physical play. Drew can get the ball there but if they aren't holding up their end it's all wasted.

Right now I look at tape from the last three years and look at his worst performances and I pull the common themes from those and try to duplicate.

1. Hit him hard a couple times early in the game (and hopefully get an early turnover)

2. Keep pressure in his face and prevent him from stepping up in the pocket.

4. Try to get a lead that forces Payton to abandon the run, and keep up with 1 and 2 above.

That formula has beaten us consistently when the defense has the talent up front to make it happen. Of course, that formula should beat most QBs, but particularly Drew since so much of his game is about being able to step up in the pocket.

Was no. 3 the secret weapon?

Brees beat Coughlin, Manning and the Giants in 2006.

But at that point they hadn't quite finished building that D-line yet...

they had umenyiora and strahan for that contest.

we played that game without joe horn but the giants were the most banged up team in the nfc that year. after the first 8 weeks they looked better than the bears but injuries took their toll and they slowly got worse.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2659628

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom