If your a D-Coordinator...how do you stop Breesus? (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The only weakness that I've seen is Brees is his height.
Judging by the Coordinator for the Bills...they are scared to blitz him...because he reads coverages so well he knows where the blitz is coming from and routinely throws to the open area.

However, i do not remember which game it was...but when drew got heavy pressure from the A and B gaps...he was unable to find a clear view to throw.
We all know that blitzing from the C gaps and trying to overload doesn't really work because he has enough pocket awareness and a quick release to negate those types of blitzes at least 90% of the time.

The quickest way to anything is in a straight line...timing is everything. As you saw on those 2 swing passes to reggie...you thwart the timing of this offense and its pretty much an incompletion.

I also noticed that we rarely attack the short middle of the field.....the intermediate middle..yes but the short middle i don't see it...though i could be wrong.

I think if a defense were to blitz drew up the middle... often and early and throw off our timing it would really effect us. Instead of defenses trying to stop Drew so much and paying attention to him...why not pay attention more to the people that get the ball most often. If you blitz up the middle chances are he cant get that ball off for a deep play...its going to be a check down...a relatively quick check down@that if there is adequate pressure.

Make form open field tackles on our receivers and they would probably be in good shape. Colston doesn't really break a lot of tackles as he is a big target to hit and wrap-up. Meachem is probably the only receiver that would give a defense fits with is RAC ability. Devery is a speed guy..who has shown that he can catch now..but if you blitz then that pretty much negates him...as he is prone to the usual mental lapse(running away from the first down after the catch....two weeks in a row though he got it last week) Reggie gets discouraged after a bunch of open field tackles and can be easily frustrated. Lance is our hands guy and will make catches no matter what...and move the chains...but he won't hurt you deep.

Case in point....... I know they are two weeks away..but if Rex Ryan doesn't decided to bite his lip like Sean Mcdermott and Jim Shwartz did...and BACK OFF on the blitz we will have a tough day. I know its obvious that Drew Shreds the blitz...but if you blitz him up the middle 10x...i don't think its possible he shreds you all 10X's. Even though it seems better to drop everyone in coverage i would have to disagree, and the only person who would do the opposite of that is probably Rex Ryan.

So what would you do?

Oh side note........anyone forsee Jammal Brown being moved to RT when he returns?

"How do you stop Breesus?"

Drew Brees is to Opposing Teams Defenses

as

Chuck Norris is to __________________ (insert any answer, Chuck Norris Kills it dead.)

As I understand it, Brees' QB rating goes up during blitzes, although I don't know if there is a break down for which gap was blitzed. But, not blitzing seems to mean that you simply give him even more time to read the defense and finds the open man.

I'll say this, if our run game becomes extremely ineffective, it still appears as though our offense can still move the ball.

"How do you stop Breesus?"

Drew Brees is to Opposing Teams Defenses

as

Chuck Norris is to __________________ (insert any answer, Chuck Norris Kills it dead.)
What if I insert Drew Brees? Does the universe collapse into itself?

Remember how defenses stopped Manning/Brady the years they broke the TD records, thats right teams never could stop them. All defenses can do is hope the receivers drop the passes, because the QBs are going to deliver the ball everytime.

Remember how defenses stopped Manning/Brady the years they broke the TD records, thats right teams never could stop them. All defenses can do is hope the receivers drop the passes, because the QBs are going to deliver the ball everytime.

Which is why i think you blitz the middle....make his throws a little errant and put all the pressure on the receivers to make a play. Its obvious that no matter what Drew is going to GET HIS period. So if you put more pressure on other players to make plays then your up to something. Was it the ravens that brought consistent pressure up the middle a few years back and it threw off our timing.

One small note....... i see no defense that stops us this year. If it was possible to do that it would have been done after 06. Opposing defenses have ton of tape on us and they cant stop it...this isn't an offense that is just good now they've been consistently good for yearsss now our only negatives were ST and Defense....with moorestead owning it for us with field position and the Defense giving the ball back to brees more.......i just don't see us being beaten unless we BEAT OURSELVES

The only way you stop him is if you can get pressure w/ the front 4 and you have safeties and CBs playing in a zone who can read and react w/ the best of them. The most I've remember seeing DB struggle is the TB game last year, A sloppy field slowed down our WRs, the front 4 got good pressure and stopped the run and the CBs, safeties played a great game and DB was a little off. Tahts alot of factors that may only happen a handful oftimes throughtout the year. Other than that, pray that the WRs are having a bad day and the RBs are sucking big time.

rush 3 put 8 in coverage and make them beat you with the run

Like the op said, drew can shed you on the blitz, maybe not 10/10 times, but he can shred you. What concerns me is how many times out of that 10 he gets hit. They did hit Brady 23 times this week, and you know they will try to lay him out on that left shoulder..

While I appreciate your well thought out post I disagree with a few things you said.

1. How does blitzing negate Devery? Just cause he is a speed guy doesn't mean that every ball has to be for 40+ yards. Wouldn't the speed guy be the one to get the RAC?

2. We attacked the short middle all last year with Billy Miller and this year with a healthy Shockey. Colston goes over the middle as well.

3. Lance Moore won't hurt you deep? Seriously? I seem to remember a few long TD passes last year.

4. You're saying the same things opposing fans say. All we have to do is shut this down and then do this and that will happen. The problem is every skill player on our offense is a weapon and Drew can utilize them all in response to the defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom