If your a D-Coordinator...how do you stop Breesus? (1 Viewer)

its hard to blitz when you have reggie in the backfield...if brees picks it ups and audibles into a screen or a quick dumpoff reggie can take it all the way...if it was that easy to stop this offense it wouldve been done already...the past 4 seasons (including this one) we have been unstoppable...and thank god for that

Keep committing a dead-ball foul. Eventually you'd run the clock out with all those "half the distance to the goal" calls and if you are ahead when you do it you'll win.

Strong interior pass rush. Which is very difficult to pull off with Evans and Nicks, but really your best option.

You can't blitz the edges, and trying to lay back in zone and tighten up in the redzone just lets Brees establish a devastating rhythm getting down the field. You have to disrupt him early and it has to be inside.

The Ravens game in 2006 remains the blueprint. It's just gotten progressively harder to pull off.

I go get the sniper who used to shoot Hoby Brenner the moment he caught a pass and pay him enough money to lure him out of retirement.

Other than that, what Spam said. And the Eagles specialty is interior blitzing, FWIW.

its hard to blitz when you have reggie in the backfield...if brees picks it ups and audibles into a screen or a quick dumpoff reggie can take it all the way...if it was that easy to stop this offense it wouldve been done already...the past 4 seasons (including this one) we have been unstoppable...and thank god for that
i dunno, the last time a rexy led baltimore D came to the dome, it wasn't pretty..I'm sure SP will be watching that game next week.

Brees Touchdown Recipients:
Marques Colston
Robert Meachem
Jeremy Shockey
Devery Henderson
Heath Evans

Other weapons he has yet to throw TDs to but most assuredly will:
Reggie Bush
Lance Moore
David Thomas
Pierre Thomas
Mike Bell
Lynell Hamilton

I think Brees has more healthy weapons than ever... he is unstoppable this year.

crowbar.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone remembers the last time someone was able to get consistent, effective pressure up the middle against Drew; and who were the C/Gs at the time? The center of the line has certainly looked pretty effective in pass protection in both regular season games, and also what I remember of the starters in the preseason. Where there has been some pressure in these first two games, it has mostly come from the ends (and I've noticed even there that the tackles have done a pretty good job at preventing inside moves).

I go get the sniper who used to shoot Hoby Brenner the moment he caught a pass and pay him enough money to lure him out of retirement.

Other than that, what Spam said. And the Eagles specialty is interior blitzing, FWIW.

Eagles DTs aren't that exceptional and their DEs are all edge guys, not really people you can effectively stunt inside.

The biggest defensive challenge we'll face this season will be the Giants I think.

While I appreciate your well thought out post I disagree with a few things you said.

1. How does blitzing negate Devery? Just cause he is a speed guy doesn't mean that every ball has to be for 40+ yards. Wouldn't the speed guy be the one to get the RAC?

2. We attacked the short middle all last year with Billy Miller and this year with a healthy Shockey. Colston goes over the middle as well.

3. Lance Moore won't hurt you deep? Seriously? I seem to remember a few long TD passes last year.

4. You're saying the same things opposing fans say. All we have to do is shut this down and then do this and that will happen. The problem is every skill player on our offense is a weapon and Drew can utilize them all in response to the defense.

Well know i'm not saying it will be easy by any means...once again Drew will DO YOU..no ifs ands or buts about it he will shred you. I'm simply saying instead of putting so much pressure on your D to stop Brees which you can't i say you put more pressure on the receivers.

Colston does drop a lot of balls..he wont drop every ball but say Drew gets a blitz up the middle and has to release the ball quickly whos to say he wont drop a key 3rd and 6 and force us to punt.

I dont mean to truly say you negate devery....but how often is Devery known for going across the short middle? In fact how many time's do you you see our receivers work the SHORT middle. Sure shockey did it at the beginning of the game..however it was shut down after a while and we started to attack the flats...sideline and intermediate routes.

Reason im saying the short middle..is if you blitz up the middle then you don't have to worry about an empty spot in the flats..where a reggie bush can destroy you.

Ask yourself again just how many of our receivers are good@creating yd's after FIRST contact......besides maybe reggie? We make tons of big plays but Meachem is probably our strongest receiver after contact.

In 16 games and i dont know a couple hundred plays.......how many of those were DEEP balls to Lance??? how many were short routes to Devery?
Our receivers are roll players@best and because we have so many of them..double teams rarely work. So once again i say you treat them all equally and try to pressure Drew as much as you can and force the receivers to make mistakes......it happens to them just not Drew.

But I do not recall a lot of up-the-middle blitzes from the Eagles. Shooting the gaps is exactly what I would do to stop Brees. Quick stunts with a backer coming behind. Line up in an A gap and try to time the snap. If you can get to him early in the game he tends to press. If you try and miss early, you are screwed either way.

Eagles DTs aren't that exceptional and their DEs are all edge guys, not really people you can effectively stunt inside.

The biggest defensive challenge we'll face this season will be the Giants I think.

I think the Jets can come up with some schemes. Sometimes it isn't about getting hits. It is making the QB uncomfortable.

You can't treat them all equally. You yourself said that they all specialize in different areas of receiving. And BTW, there's not enough good DB's on anyone's defense to pressure all of our receivers. Don't forget, Reggie, Shockey, Evans, and PT or Bell can catch the ball as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom