If you're LESS THAN EXCITED about RR... give a shout out (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
I believe that Rob Ryan will do a decent job as D-Coord. But there are also those of you who aren't yet SOLD on his credentials and ability.

If you are one who says "meh" :yawn: for RR, I have no doubt that you wouldn't mind being wrong should he brings a successful defense to the Saints.

But given all the news and less than glowing reports from various sources, what are your main concerns about him?

:gosaints:

My concern is that, being a Ryan, he will bring with him a lot of media attention and scrutiny, and he'll probably say some things that the media will pick apart. This team doesn't need that sort of attention; I fear it will distract them from settling down and getting back to work.

Hope I'm wrong.

i've heard the other side who says his Def's have done well in the NFL. for a stretch in Oak, he had a very good Def. he also went to Cle and built a good Def there. idk why everyone is putting all their opinions on what he did in Dallas. we all know he had an overbearing GM/Owner and Romo leading the Off :covri:. RR will do better than well and we will have a Def that makes it into the top 15 this year.

I believe that Rob Ryan will do a decent job as D-Coord. But there are also those of you who aren't yet SOLD on his credentials and ability.

If you are one who says "meh" :yawn: for RR, I have no doubt that you wouldn't mind being wrong should he brings a successful defense to the Saints.

But given all the news and less than glowing reports from various sources, what are your main concerns about him?

:gosaints:

I dont think we will be a top 10 defense in 1 year. I think give him 2 or 3 years and we would be able to obtain that goal. The only i see it happening if we sign some key vet's and they stay healthy all year. For the existing players that never played in a 3-4 defense it will be a learning curve. Let's see what kind of patience we could maintain.

I am reserving judgement until I see what he can do! And I really hope he doesn't run his mouth too much.

I don't like his personality or his mouth. If you have to talk that much about how good you are - then it must not be apparent in your product. He tries to convince people that what they see isn't real, as if his words have more truth than his actions. He was a perfect fit for Dallas. That's their mantra, not ours.

He's also one of those people that strikes me as dumb and has trouble comprehending when something doesn't work - why it doesn't work. His defense would get called for a legit penalty and he's over there ranting and raving on the sidelines like a lunatic - as if the call is unwarranted; as if his tantrum will change anything. Then the commentator points out that the same player had the same penalty last week and the week before that.... So why all the theatrics? He should've been used to it by then or he should have corrected it. Just dumb.

I don't see how he's going to fit, but I felt that way about Jeremy Shockey as well, like he didn't belong here. And while we heard about a few behind-the-scenes riffs, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

You've just got to hope for the best, it's too late now for bad reports from Dallas etc. All you can say is at least he's not Spags, but then again if the defense allows another 7000 yards next season then you can't blame Spags or Ryan, you have to say it's the players or the culture on defense.

One thing I will say, for a guy who's supposed to be an attention-seeking big mouth there's not much video evidence of it on youtube. I can hardly even find an interview with him. Maybe it's just his sideline antics, hair, his brother and his gut that got him the reputation?

:idunno:

i've heard the other side who says his Def's have done well in the NFL. for a stretch in Oak, he had a very good Def. he also went to Cle and built a good Def there. idk why everyone is putting all their opinions on what he did in Dallas. we all know he had an overbearing GM/Owner and Romo leading the Off :covri:. RR will do better than well and we will have a Def that makes it into the top 15 this year.

Ive got to admit I am not really excited about Ryan, but now that he is a Saint he will get 100% of my support. If he can even produce a middle of the pack defense, say the 16th rank defense, we will.be serious SB contenders every year.

I was really pumped for Spags, so I'm keeping my emotions at bay this time. Hoping he comes out and puts some fire into our players.

I'm most excited about the HEAD coach's return. My faith in his and Loomis' decisions is solid. The defense can't be any worse than last year, statistically. Short of another power grab by Der Kommissar, we should at least reclaim the top spot in the division :)

I'm not excited by his public persona or looking forward to his sound bytes, but I don't have problems with his credentials or abilities. Too often teams for coordinator or head coach hire the guy with a few hot years that never quite lives up to it. A lot of competent guys peak with new teams. No one thought much of Belichick coming out of Cleveland. Spags seemed to have the "pedigree" and guaranteed genius we needed.

He's been with some bad teams, the latest being Dallas, which was enough of a train wreck to make an HOF coach like Parcells look awful. He runs the scheme we want to convert to, and has his whole career. He's had one excellent defensive season, and the rest have never been catastrophically bad. I think he can do a good job. If he does I'll sing his praises every day of the week, but he hasn't held even a minicamp practice yet, so I'm done praising or condemning guys as OUR coach until he's been ours doing something. Just because someone had success or failed elsewhere doesn't mean he can't faceplant or excel here and now as our new DC. I won't gush with expectations, but I won't worry about him until I see some regular season games under our belts together.

This is a result oriented business. If the Saints D plays better than last year....and that isn't all that hard to do, considering how bad they were playing last year....then he's OK with me. I don't really care how big mouth he has.....as long the Saints D does their jobs properly....I won't complain one bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom