I'll give Colston his props, even if sportswriters won't (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately Colston has several "strikes" against him in national sportswriters' minds -

1. New Orleans is a small market. No one outside east Louisana and western gulf coast sees Saints games. Hard to give someone respect when you've only seen a 5 second blip on ESPN. If Colston played in New York or Dallas he would constantly be on the cover of every sports mag and be called the second coming of Jerry Rice.

2. He lacks a "first round pedigree", major Div. I school background, and embarrassed most sportswriters as a rookie. Most sportswriters fancy themselves as all knowing experts. They hate it when a draft afterthought comes out of nowhere and puts up huge numbers. Most of these guys panned the Colston pick because "the team didn't need another project TE".

3. They think he's a product of Payton's system and Drew Brees' arm. Sports snobbery at it's finest. That any WR who can catch would put up similar in the Saints O. Yeah, that's why there have been an endless string of guys opposite Colston.

4. Colston is quiet and humble. Sportswriters while they pretend they detest it secretly love the "Hey look at me" showboat types. TO and Ocho Cinco are talked and written about profusely. While guys like Marvin Harrison and Colston are generally ignored until the stats are compiled. Once the stats are compiled they begrudingly are forced to mention them.

Due to these fact Colston won't get a whole lot of respect (like Harrison years from now they'll finally give him some). But the great thing about Colston is attention isn't what motivates him, the desire to do his job the best he can does.

Great insight, concur all the way.

Colston should have made the pro-bowl last year. And, you forgot that Colston had Bush catching passes with him.

In fact, Colston and Bush are 1st and 2nd in having the most receptions for your first 2 years. Think about that, Colston had the most, while Bush was just behind him for 2nd most. I love Drew Brees! WHO DAT!!!!

:worthy: SORRY! MISSED HIM COMPLETELY! HE DOES HAVE OCHO ON THE OTHER SIDE THOUGH!

I'm sorry it looks as though you don't have T.J. Houshmandzadeh in your top 15. Actually none of you spoke of T.J.

So while we're complaining about Colston not getting his props. How about us not being the hypocrites and recognize another great.

T.J. Houshmandzadeh 202 Rec 2224 Yds 21 TD's

How do you decide than man! Thats a reason for stats. Do you think someone like our own Morten Anderson, who never won a super bowl, is considered a future hall of famer because of his looks. No. its the number
of kicks he's made. Does Cal Ripken get into the hall of fame because of his play or his streak. His streak. A stat. Say what you want. Colston's been in the league for 2 years and he's the number 7 Wr in those 2 years. That's what they go by. STATS. So, are you also saying Randy doesnt deserve the TD record because they are a throw first team?? Cmon man. Im just trying to give the guy credit. I believe he is a first team pro bowler, which is a top ten WR in the NFL. Thats my argument. His stats prove it. He just gets no credit.
Incredibly flawed argument. You can't compare these guys based solely on stats.
For two years in a row, we have thrown the ball more than anyone else in the league. No one has more attempts or completions than Drew Brees over Colston's career.

Of course Colston is going to put up some great stats as the number one receiver in our offense. But if you put him on Chicago over the same period, he maybe has half those numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Colston, but we should be smart enough to know that just because someone puts up top 10 numbers that doesn't necessarily make them a top ten player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom