I'll probably get seriously flamed for this but... (1 Viewer)

I believe the Saints were very fortunate to win that game today.

Don't get me wrong nobody is happier than me that we won that game but I really think we were fortunate to win.

Look at all the dropped balls the Falcons had and the redzone apperances where they didn't get TD's.

Had they caught all those dropped balls and scored TD's in the redzone I believe it would have been a different game.

They didn't though so I guess it doesn't matter.

I was thinking about those dropped passes myself.....but I can't deny the MANY GOOD THINGS I SAW in this game, which I haven't seen in our PREVIOUS losses!

How about the play of J Craft?....have you noticed how close our CBs played their WRs??....yes, some of those dropped passes were the WRs fault, but some of those same dropsies were b/c of the close proximity of our CB, WHICH INFLUENCED THE PLAY!

I said that the Saints CBs were mostly in man to man coverages in this game.....and Craft performed superbly....also special mention to Groce, and Bellamy, who made plays....HUGE PLAYS at crucial times!....defensively, the Saints D played a very good game, and although the Crows WRs did indeed dropped some passes, so were our WRs!

If we can duplicate the good showing of this D in future games, we should be OK, although the score might be closer than today.....but hey....I don't mind winning by ONE LOUSY POINT THE REMAINING OF OUR GAMES!!.....I'm pretty sure you share the same sentiment about the matter!

I thought it was mostly the Saints D that stopped the Falcons. Witout Vicks crazy runs I doubt they get 150 yards of total offense. Great red zone stands also!

you should get flamed..when a team beats another team in the nfl by more than 10 points, luck has no0thing to do with it...we beat them by 18 points, which is three scores...
a good red zone defense has nothing to do with luck...silliness..
they had drops, but we had bad breaks too...we had one bad drop on a 3rd down...and don't forget we had a sack on 3rd down erased by a silly hands to the face penalty, and the falcons later scored on that drive

I believe the Saints were very fortunate to win that game today.

Don't get me wrong nobody is happier than me that we won that game but I really think we were fortunate to win.

Look at all the dropped balls the Falcons had and the redzone apperances where they didn't get TD's.

Had they caught all those dropped balls and scored TD's in the redzone I believe it would have been a different game.

They didn't though so I guess it doesn't matter.

I see what you're saying, but I don't buy it. At all. True, this team has some weaknesses; several teams exposed this team's secondary, the offense has had the propensity to turn ball over...

But bottom line is that when we've been on the other side of the coin, the same excuse is trotted out--"coulda, shoulda, woulda," if you will.

Put simply, I think the Saints are better coached and have better players, esp. at the skill positions. I think they have a better qb, recievers, and running backs. From what I saw, the Falcons recievers are AWFUL--put simply, I think the Falcons were completely outmatched today on both sides of the ball; even on defense, their "playmakers" Abraham, Hall, etc., were outmatched.

True, the Falcons blew some opportunities, but poor and/or mediocre teams don't make plays when they need to. Good teams do.

I understand what you're point--meaning, if the Falcons recievers caught those dropped passes, the outcome would have been different; well, if the game was closer, you'd have a valid point.

But the only real threat the Falcons showed was Vick running the ball; other than a few big runs, on both sides of the ball the birds were thoroughly whipped. The Saints weren't lucky, they were that much better, and it showed.

I think Vick's style plays into the drops, whether he wants to admit it or not.

He throws hard, without touch.

He does so on the run, which disrupts timing/rhythm with receivers and also makes for unanticipated angles on the pass.

Finally, the Falcons throw everything to the outside. I'm not sure why, but I suspect that they are trying to create running lanes for Vick if he breaks containment on the edge. That makes for more curls coming back to the ball, with fewer crossing routes in the middle. The angle also makes for tougher catches.

Those who think/thought Henderson/Copper have a lot of drops: IMHO they'd have more in the Falcons offense.

I sort of agree but I like to that the two former first round picks wr the dirty birds have.

One other point: The coaches also implemented a very good gameplan--that delayed, zone blitz confused Vick all day. And keying in on stopping Dunn and jumping out to a lead early forced Vick to throw the ball.

Save for a few breakdowns in containment, the defense played a perfect game; they allowed Vick to do most of the damage inbetween the 20s, and played tough, red zone defense. The only real option Vick had was to try and take over the game with his legs.

Ok I have been set straight.

I really didn't think of it like most of you put it, but now that I read your replies yall make a lot of sense.

I'll just crawl back into my hole now. :0030:

One other point: The coaches also implemented a very good gameplan--that delayed, zone blitz confused Vick all day. And keying in on stopping Dunn and jumping out to a lead early forced Vick to throw the ball.

Save for a few breakdowns in containment, the defense played a perfect game; they allowed Vick to do most of the damage inbetween the 20s, and played tough, red zone defense. The only real option Vick had was to try and take over the game with his legs.

Vick was finally given a set of limited audibles for the first time this game wasn't he?

Vick was finally given a set of limited audibles for the first time this game wasn't he?

Yes. He could run left, right, or up the middle. His choice. And to occasionally cofuse the defense, he could switch out of a running play into an incomplete passing play.

I have no idea. I didn't know that the coaches didn't allow him to audible until I heard the announcers mention it on today's game.

Steve: I understand, man. Such are the perils of being a Saints fan for so long. But make no mistake, this team is pretty darn good. They've stumbled along the way, but I think as long as they protect the football, at least they'll be in most games, and win against many teams going away.

Ok I have been set straight.

I really didn't think of it like most of you put it, but now that I read your replies yall make a lot of sense.

I'll just crawl back into my hole now. :0030:

No need to hide. You have just been swept up by the media hype surrounding the Falclowns.

Here's two points of interest that go unmentioned.

Vick, 9-24 passing for a total of 84 yards. That's 34.5% in an NFL game and not even close to what Drew had in the first half alone.

Oh, and only 2 or 3 of the passes were 'Drops', so even if they're counted that's at best 12-24 passing (50%) and maybe 140 yards.

Our Defense came to play today, no question about it.

Holy Craft!!!

Vick's huge runs were on passing plays caused by his receivers being covered and the pocket collapsing. He saw running lanes and took off but the Saints deserve credit for preventing him from getting into the endzone on those runs (Jason Craft saved a TD by chasing Vick out of bounds). Vick's rushing stats are hollow (kind of like throwing for 510 yards in a loss). The Falcons receivers helped out but there were some good defensive plays by the Saints as well.

I'd agree the scoreboard doesn't reflect just how close this game was......a few different bounces and the score might have been completely different. But the biggest and most important stat in this game - ZERO TURNOVERS for the Saints. This team can play with anyone when they don't turn the ball over.......

I have no idea. I didn't know that the coaches didn't allow him to audible until I heard the announcers mention it on today's game.

Steve: I understand, man. Such are the perils of being a Saints fan for so long. But make no mistake, this team is pretty darn good. They've stumbled along the way, but I think as long as they protect the football, at least they'll be in most games, and win against many teams going away.

I agree this is a pretty darn good team and I'm just not used to it but if they keep it up it won't take long to get used to it. :ezbill:

I just wish I could shuck that feeling of impending doom.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom