Illegal Touching - Did I miss a rule change... (1 Viewer)

GTSaint

Really?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Or are the refs maintaining their level of incompetence?

Near the end of Q1 Saints down the ball inside the 5 after a Saints punt. Refs throw a flag and call illegal touching AND MOVE THE BALL TO THE 20! Now I know there was the illegal touching rule that the receiving team has to touch the ball before the kicking team can. But it was always a no yardage penalty and because of that is rarely ever called. So what was the deal here? If this is a rule change, is it now impossible to down the ball inside the 20 without just letting it rol to a stop?

Note: Of course, watching the replay, the ball actually hit off a Steeler foot and should have been Saints ball, but refs and Saints coaches didn't see that, so, oh well...

The refs were once again BLOODY AWFUL last night

The call was correct except that they missed it touching the Steelers player. Should have been Saints ball.

The rule says, if a player goes out of bounds, which the Saints player did, he can't be the first player to touch it. He would have been first, had it not touched the Steelers player, but nobody seemed to notice.

The ball didn't even really come close to touching the Steelers' return man. It's an optical illusion. Go back and watch the live shot. Jut FYI.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 35
I believe because it was touched INSIDE the 20yd line, it goes to the 20yd line.

I believe because it was touched INSIDE the 20yd line, it goes to the 20yd line.

If the punt was illegally touched (first touched by a player of the kicking team who had been out of bounds) inside the five yard line, the receiving team has the option of treating it like a touchback (ball at the 20). If the ball is first touched illegally outside the five, enforcement is a five yard penalty from the spot of first touch.

The ball didn't even really come close to touching the Steelers' return man. It's an optical illusion. Go back and watch the live shot. Jut FYI.

That's a bad angle , It was touched by the Pitt player , If you watch the replay from an end zone angle you see it touch the Pitt guy on the shinn , you can see it change the trajectory of the ball

That's a bad angle , It was touched by the Pitt player , If you watch the replay from an end zone angle you see it touch the Pitt guy on the shinn , you can see it change the trajectory of the ball

No. It doesn't. It doesn't even come close. Go watch it on NFL Game Pass from every angle, end zone included. The rotation doesn't even happen when in the line of site of the shin. It's just a bouncing pointed ball. There's a reason no player whatsoever reacted, no coach reacted, no referee reacted. Nothing. If D-level announce team hadn't said something no one would think otherwise. It's confirmation bias as a result of two guys acting like Hakim dropped the ball in the 1st quarter of a preseason game.

None of this matters obviously, but it's not even close (in a football sense) to being touched.

It looked to me like it did not hit the Steelers player.

If I am not mistaken, the ref last night, Booger, has screwed may other calls against the Saints and others. How is he still a head ref ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom