I'm Confused by this Team (1 Viewer)

SaintsMan209

SB This year!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Week 1 - Raiders (35-34) Loss
- Breaux goes down and they come storming back.
- It takes a two point conversion and two missed field goals by our kicker for them to win by 1 point.

Week 2 - Giants (13-16) Loss
- 10 point swing because of a blocked field goal for a touchdown.
- lost PJ Williams on the 2nd or 3rd play of this game.

Week 3 - Falcons (45 - 32 ) Loss
- 11 starters out
- pick six cause it bounced off a players helmet otherwise the Saints were coming back.

Week 4 - Chargers (35-34) Win
- Saints come back after forcing two turnovers with less than 7 minutes to go.
- Showed grit to win it but could easily have lost.

Week 5 - Bye

Week 6 - Panthers ( 38-41) Win
- Go up big against the Panthers and then squandered lead.
- Had control of the game most of the time.

Week 7 - Chiefs (21-27) Loss
- Mark Ingram fumbles

Week 8 - Seahawks (20-25) Win
- I felt we owned these guys

Week 9 - San Fran (41-23) Win
- I felt we owned these guys

Week 10 - Broncos (25-23) Loss
- Mike Thomas fumbles twice with less than 10 minutes to go in the game.
- Blocked extra point returned for 2 points.

Week 11- Panthers (20-23) Loss
- 10 point swing with Blocked field goal

All of our games have been close. I felt we were trending up but Special Teams is REALLY killing this team right now. I don't think they'll be able to get it corrected because it's already become a part of their psyche. Here are my predictions:

Week 12 - Rams (17-31) Win
Hello Gregg Williams

Week 13 - Lions (17-31) Win
Hello old Colts coach that we beat in the SB.

Week 14 - Bucs (17-14) Win
Lutz hits the winner

Week 15 - Cardinals (41 - 21) Win
Palmer gets manhandled by Saints defense.

Week 16 - Falcons (24 - 21) Win
Saints win division on last second field goal.
Pierre Thomas signed to play in this game since all our RB's get hurt.

WHO DAT!!

All of our games have been close, but if you look around the league most games are close now. With all the rule changes and emphasis on player safety it makes it really easy to throw penalties for basically any at anytime. Only the better coached teams can ensure winning each week. . . .

Injuries on defense have hurt a lot. I think the defense is heading in the right direction. I think the Payton is not as good as he was with the offense. Time management and play calling has been suspect.

I won't be surprised if the Lions game is a L that team has been in every game this year and pulled out wins in the 4th by finishing games.

What happened to the other Bucs game?

They have a Cat 4 hurricane aimed at Tampa and they reschedule the game next August right before the preseason starts. :scratch:

I think. :shy:

In what fantasy land are we going on the road to Arizona and putting up 41 points?

I think we can go there and win, but it will be a 23-20 type game.

I think we beat the Rams (mainly due to the rookie qb starting) and then lose in a most unfathomable way vs Detroit, that's 5-7.

We lose to Tampa on the road and then somehow someway beat Arizona to go 6-8.

We come home to beat Tampa in the rematch and then beat an Atlanta team who rests their starters having secured the division and their playoff seeding.

8-8 with an 8-5 finish to the season.

We won't lose again this season and still have to squeeze in with a wildcard but our defense is scary good with our losing putting more pressure on them

We're finishing 7-9. We've seen this movie before
I just don't understand why people red thumbed this.

Guys, not only have we seen this exact situation play out repeatedly the last couple of years, but statistics support this claim as well.

If you're going to be angry at something, be angry at the team's failings, not the people pointing out the same disappointing stats.

I just don't understand why people red thumbed this.

Guys, not only have we seen this exact situation play out repeatedly the last couple of years, but statistics support this claim as well.

If you're going to be angry at something, be angry at the team's failings, not the people pointing out the same disappointing stats.

While the pattern certainly sets up for another lackluster season, the continued optimism at this stage comes from two significant factors that are undeniable going into the final six games.

One, the way in which we lost our last two games gives a reasonable measure of hope that we are really a better team than our record would indicate. Not only did we NOT get manhandled in these last two losses, but we were in fact the better team save for a few correctable mistakes.

Point two involves the level of competition that each team in our division will have to face down the stretch. There is no doubt that it will be hard for us to make up being two games behind the division leader, but had we finished the deal in the last two weeks I would venture to guess that all the talk right now would be how the Saints have moved up as the favorite to take the NFC South. Reality doesn't give us that luxury right now, but partisan fandom doesn't need a whole lot to keep the dream alive and thus hope that the positive scenarios mentioned in this thread can actually become the new reality.

:)

The team itself often seems confused. It's not clear to me that they trust one another. That is a very likely outcome when so many rookies and new players are thrust into key roles.
The OL started out as a mess. It was unclear who the guards were going to be. Peat was moved all over the place. Once Evans was resigned, the right side was solidified. Strief--I have no idea how he seems to have the Fountain of Youth--but I'll bet that having a familiar face to his immediate left helps. Then they found out that Peat is much better on the left side. Voila, even with Armstead hurt, problem solved.
Michael Thomas stepped into the WR corps as an effective starter and borderline spectacular player. Suddenly, John Kuhn becomes available. Upgrade. Lasco looks promising.
So much for the offense.
There were tons of questions about the defense. Neither Anthony nor Laurinaitas worked put at ILB, and it took a while to get Robertson into that role. Ellerbe--enough said. Stupar supplanted Anthony. Breaux got hurt; Williams and Swann are gone for the year. Sterling Moore and B.W. Webb are the starting CBS??? Who are they?
The bottom line is that the defense started the season in flux. There were too many unknowns to have a reasonable chance of success. Look at what has happened since Robertson and Stupar have established themselves as starters.
And now the negative side. Robertson and Stupar were supposed to be special reamers. Now we have a revolving door of special team players, and results speak for themselves.
So, as I used to tell my students, ''If you're not confused, you really are confused.''. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out why this team has been so erratic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom