I'm failing to understand this... (1 Viewer)

Mackenzie

Black and Gold Forever
Reaction score
Why would Payton go to the media to talk about the importance of taking our time with this hire and then commit to hiring a guy before anyone has been interviewed? He said he would wait until the SB is over because he wanted to do everything possible to make sure we find the right guy. This move goes against everything he's preached the last couple of weeks. I just don't get it.

Why would Payton go to the media to talk about the importance of taking our time with this hire and then commit to hiring a guy before anyone has been interviewed? He said he would wait until the SB is over because he wanted to do everything possible to make sure we find the right guy. This move goes against everything he's preached the last couple of weeks. I just don't get it.

Just playing devil's advocate, but Ryan supposedly wasn't available when he said that. Maybe that statement was made because Ryan was his 1st choice and maybe Ryan dumped St Louis in order to come to the Saints. I hope that is not the case, I hope they pick up an assistant from either SF or Baltimore, I hope this is all just a smoke screen, but we'll have to wait and see... and hope that ultimately it ends up being the right decision.

GEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ It was Super Bowl week and after being reinstated he did not want to make more news. If it is Rob Ryan welcome to the family WHO DAT!!!!!!!

Since when did the Saints commit to anyone?

-Crennel probably didn't want the job considering that he would take a paycut to do so
-The 49ers likely blocked the Saints like they did to the Bucs last season
-The Steelers probably blocked the Saints like they have been doing so for the past few seasons

There goes all of your top candidates. So now your are down to guys like Ryan and Grantham. Both are 1-gap 3-4 DEs...and both should fit our personnel well.

Since when did the Saints commit to anyone?

-Crennel probably didn't want the job considering that he would take a paycut to do so
-The 49ers likely blocked the Saints like they did to the Bucs last season
-The Steelers probably blocked the Saints like they have been doing so for the past few seasons

There goes all of your top candidates. So now your are down to guys like Ryan and Grantham. Both are 1-gap 3-4 DEs...and both should fit our personnel well.

Wow, alot of assumptions.

So Payton just answered my own question. He didn't commit to anyone. Ryan hasn't been interviewed and they are interviewing 2-4 candidates at the end of the week so a decision has not been made. They are also waiting on permission to talk to a candidate or two. Per Coach on Mike and Mike.

Am I the only one that thinks Payton is just testing Ryan to see if HE leaks things to the media? The initial report from Schefter made it sound like Ryan was THE hire. Now, he's just A POTENTIAL hire. This could very well be a big smokescreen, with the added benefit of finding out whether or not Ryan feels the need to report everything to the media

Am I the only one that thinks Payton is just testing Ryan to see if HE leaks things to the media? The initial report from Schefter made it sound like Ryan was THE hire. Now, he's just A POTENTIAL hire. This could very well be a big smokescreen, with the added benefit of finding out whether or not Ryan feels the need to report everything to the media

Or he is testing others in his own circle.

Guys this was already decided. No way Ryan turns down the St.L job if he didn't have another one ready.

When did this morph into Ryan "turned down" the St. Louis job. That was announced as Fisher met with Ryan a second time and decided that he wasn't the person for the job.

Guys this was already decided. No way Ryan turns down the St.L job if he didn't have another one ready.

Ryan's a 3-4 guy, Fisher a 4-3. If Fisher didn't want to be flexible, that's a pretty good reason.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think everything a head coach, especially Sean Payton, should be taken at face value. Don't believe everything you read or hear.

He very well could have already "interviewed" Ryan for all we know and the upcoming in-house interview is more of just a formality/film-session. Many here seem to think coaching job interviews are akin to the "everyday guy's" job interview. These guys don't just come in blindly for an awkward interview like you or I would for a job interview.

Didn't someone here say that they had a friend who owns a home in or around New Orleans that Ryan is looking to purchase? That doesn't sound like a guy who is blindly coming into a job interview for a first-time talk.

They very well could be bringing Grantham in just to pick his brain about how he would stop the zone read.

Maybe he watched the Super Bowl and realized in the biggest games of their careers, neither D came to play so moved on.....

I don't know that it's a lock just yet. Sean is still waiting for permission to interview some NFL position coaches. Donatel?

New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton told ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on Wednesday that he will interview 2-4 candidates for the open defensive coordinator job, including former Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan later this week.

Payton said while much has been reported about the Saints planning on hiring Ryan, he said there will be a firm decision on the job "within a week."
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/02/sean_payton_says_2-4_candidate.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom