I'm not so sure Jameis can be fixed. (1 Viewer)

I want to postulate that many of you have minimized the nature of JW's flaws and have an unrealistic belief that the Saints QB coaches can fix him.

So I have been watching his 2019 games (6 so far) and it is not just bad decisions it is a whole lot of bad throws. Floaters, overthrown, underthrown, bad touch, and most alarming radial aximuth errors.

The common theory it is mental and he is just bad habits and making bad decisions but it is more than that and he throws a lot of off target passes. The mental errors only compound what I think is an inherent accuracy issue.

I also notice his longest pass in 2019 was 47 air yards. I think his arm strength is also an issue.
While Drew never threw an ungodly number of interceptions, there was a few years there where he was not as careful with the ball as he is now. He's also had to deal with a lot of batted balls. The past few years, he has taken to eliminate mistakes. That's not accidental. That is due to deliberate choices and that's something that can be taught.

You also have to look at the coaching philosophy he's worked with. Bruce is not afraid to sling the ball around and take risks. Payton is less interested in turning the ball over and instead will take what the defense offers. This way of thinking has a way of changing the habits of QBs.

While Drew never threw an ungodly number of interceptions, there was a few years there where he was not as careful with the ball as he is now. He's also had to deal with a lot of batted balls. The past few years, he has taken to eliminate mistakes. That's not accidental. That is due to deliberate choices and that's something that can be taught.

You also have to look at the coaching philosophy he's worked with. Bruce is not afraid to sling the ball around and take risks. Payton is less interested in turning the ball over and instead will take what the defense offers. This way of thinking has a way of changing the habits of QBs.

There was that one season that Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions............guess who his QB coach was.

Last edited:
If I’m SP, I am 100% implementing Winston in this offense. Even if it’s 3-4 plays a game, with a 60 yard throw or two. Why wouldn’t you if he’s on the active roster with that arm.

60 yard throw? When? Certainly not 2019. Longest was 47 yards. Only 4 I think total that went more than 40 in the air.

According to next gen stats, in the 2019 regular season Jameis was 2nd in the league in avg air yards completions (8.2), and 7th in longest air yard completion (58.2). Only 3 players eclipsed 60 on longest air yard completions, and it was just fractions of a yard over 60.

Considering all the games JW has played, I would think a person seeking an accurate analysis of his potential would consider looking at more than six games of his worst season (interception wise) before calling him unfixable. If he can fix his red-zone mistakes, then he'll be fine.

Drew wasn't all that great either until Sean Payton got hold of him. His first five years, he completed only 60.82% of his passes and had a touchdown/interception ratio of 1.25/1. He became great in New Orleans. And, he didn't even sniff 5,000 yards until he met Sean Payton. He did it for the first time in his eighth season. I'd say Jameis has a head start.

I don’t know. Sean Payton took a regular middle of the road NFL QB and turned him into one of the best of all time. I’m not so sure Drew Brees would be in that category if not for Sean Payton. He was decent in San Diego, but no one thought he would ever become what he has become.

Coach has a lot more talent to work with, but also a lot more flaws in Jameis IMO. I think Jameis offers us the best chance to remain a playoff contender year in year out after Drew retires to the broadcast booth. We shall see unless this ends up being Jameis’ only season as a Saint

Drew wasn't all that great either until Sean Payton got hold of him. His first five years, he completed only 60.82% of his passes and had a touchdown/interception ratio of 1.25/1. He became great in New Orleans. And, he didn't even sniff 5,000 yards until he met Sean Payton. He did it for the first time in his eighth season. I'd say Jameis has a head start.
This. Rememember San Diego gave up on Drew but Brees and Winston had similar stats when they left their old teams. This is a no lose situation for us.

Brees has spoiled us so much we sometimes forget he is the most accurate QB of all time. There's going to be a step back when he retires. We are not going to find another Brees in the next year or two, we just need to find someone who can help lead this team to wins and helps plays complimentary football. Maybe, its Winston, maybe its not. We have a year to find out. Even when the 49ers went from Montana to Young it was a step back, we would be lucky to have something like that happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom