I'm not so sure Jameis can be fixed. (1 Viewer)

Take a guy who has thrown for 5,000 yards with all of these flaws, put him in the qb room with SP, Carmichael, DB9, etc., I'm 100% sure that his flaws could be improved upon.

I agree with this. Just being around those offensive minds and watching how Drew hones his craft, Winston will get better by osmosis.

Some bad habits will stick with a QB their entire career. When the pressure is on they revert back to what worked for them their entire life. But a lot of small things can be coached and fixed or at least improved. It will come down to how bad Winston wants it. If he's willing to put in the work then he'll improve. No doubt.

60 yard throw? When? Certainly not 2019. Longest was 47 yards. Only 4 I think total that went more than 40 in the air.

You may want to go back and watch some of Winston's passes in 2019.

Saw him throw a pass in excess of 50, 65 yards on his back foot to Evans vs the Colts and Rams ... both for TD's.

Jameis may lack some things as an NFL QB but arm strength isn't one of them.

What are we paying him again? Low risk, possibly very high return...

I don't think anyone out there really thinks he is lacking in ability so if his head is on straight now (which is the key) why isn't it conceivable that SP could bring out the best in him?

I'm hoping we are all pleasantly surprised....

This. Rememember San Diego gave up on Drew but Brees and Winston had similar stats when they left their old teams. This is a no lose situation for us.
Drew never got close to 30 picks in a season. The season before Winston was on pace for 24 picks. In 2004 there were 34 qbs that had more interceptions than Brees. Plus in the early 2000s the league was less passer friendly and Marty wasn't known as being an offensive genius, the play calling was pretty predictable. Run, run, pass, punt yet Brees threw for 51 TDs 26 interceptions in his last 2 seasons for the Chargers with a record of 20 wins 11 losses. Drew literally had only one bad sophomore slump season. The Chargers made a big mistake in letting him go, even though Rivers is 5 inches taller he still releases the ball around the same height as Brees with a weird throwing motion.

I think we can improve Winston for sure but he's not gonna reach Drew's level. That's okay because most qbs can't do that.

I don’t know. Sean Payton took a regular middle of the road NFL QB and turned him into one of the best of all time. I’m not so sure Drew Brees would be in that category if not for Sean Payton. He was decent in San Diego, but no one thought he would ever become what he has become.

Coach has a lot more talent to work with, but also a lot more flaws in Jameis IMO. I think Jameis offers us the best chance to remain a playoff contender year in year out after Drew retires to the broadcast booth. We shall see unless this ends up being Jameis’ only season as a Saint
Drew's tremendous success in NO is twofold, IMO. Getting together with Payton had a lot to do with it, no doubt, but most importantly, Drew is 100% dedicated to his craft and is willing to put in the work to be the best. He will work and prepare more than anyone else. Winston may get better under Payton, but it will take more than that for him to be great.

You may want to go back and watch some of Winston's passes in 2019.

Saw him throw a pass in excess of 50, 65 yards on his back foot to Evans vs the Colts and Rams ... both for TD's.

Jameis may lack some things as an NFL QB but arm strength isn't one of them.
It was a nice throw but he caught it at the 30 yard line then ran it in. The 55 yarder was probably the most impressive because he only got 10 yards after the catch. The 61 yarder against the Colts was caught at the 25 yard line and ran in. I think it's a misconception that qbs can launch it 60 yards all the time , the line play rarely can hold the blocks that long even if a qb has the arm strength. The biggest plays tend to be around 40 yards in the air which is why I don't get people hating on Drew's arm strength because he can still do those 30 to 40 yard throws if we actually had a speedster that could get consistent downfield seperation. Ted Gin was a shell of his former self the last few years.

Last edited:
Winston has had a clean record since 2016. Started a family and been really delegent of taking care of his body.

How would you feel if someone keep bring up mistakes you did 4 years ago to make you look bad?

I can understand if he did something recently, but come on... You guys would put your neck out for an arrogant noboby like Rosen before giving Winston a chance in a functional environment is sad.
I listened to a rich Eisen interview two weeks ago with Winston. He sounds like a mature grown up and his actions thus far have definitely proven it.

Some point to his flaws. Outside of the top 5-8 QBs in the NFL there is no such thing as a near flawless QB. With Winston I think Payton can turn him in to a top 5-10 QB. You would be hard pressed to find a QB like that in a draft.

Winston is a proven Commodity and Payton has a great track record with QBs. The fact that Taysom is being viewed as a legitimate QB succession plan in NO after being released by Green Bay 3 years ago speaks volumes. We all have seen Taysom grow and evolve in front of us. Now imagine what Sean can do with a talent like Winston.

I don’t know. Sean Payton took a regular middle of the road NFL QB and turned him into one of the best of all time. I’m not so sure Drew Brees would be in that category if not for Sean Payton. He was decent in San Diego, but no one thought he would ever become what he has become.

Coach has a lot more talent to work with, but also a lot more flaws in Jameis IMO. I think Jameis offers us the best chance to remain a playoff contender year in year out after Drew retires to the broadcast booth. We shall see unless this ends up being Jameis’ only season as a Saint
20 wins 11 losses 56 TDs 26 interceptions in an era where future hall of famers like Manning and Favre were throwing 20 interceptions in one season. This was his last 2 seasons on a team that didn't want him. I wouldn't say that's middle of the road. Although Payton did coach up Romo for a few years and he was decent. I think that's more of an example of a middle of the road qb. Even Brady was putting up similar numbers

It was a nice throw but he caught it at the 30 yard line then ran it in. The 55 yarder was probably the most impressive because he only got 10 yards after the catch. The 61 yarder against the Colts was caught at the 25 yard line and ran in. I think it's a misconception that qbs can launch it 60 yards all the time , the line play rarely can hold the blocks that long even if a qb has the arm strength. The biggest plays tend to be around 40 yards in the air which is why I don't get people hating on Drew's arm strength because he can still do those 30 to 40 yard throws if we actually had a guy that could get consistent downfield seperation

My post was to the OP who stated (his very last sentence) that Jameis arm strength is an issue.

I've seen countless times in 2019 where protection broke down and Jameis has thrown rainbows to Godwin or Evans for TD's over 40 yards on the run.

To say that this young blood is lacking arm strength is completely false.

Alot of his inaccuracy issues could be attributed to his eyesight.

1 yard off and it could be an interception.

Imo being able to do what he did while not being able to see makes him even more impressive.

I want to postulate that many of you have minimized the nature of JW's flaws and have an unrealistic belief that the Saints QB coaches can fix him.

So I have been watching his 2019 games (6 so far) and it is not just bad decisions it is a whole lot of bad throws. Floaters, overthrown, underthrown, bad touch, and most alarming radial aximuth errors.

The common theory it is mental and he is just bad habits and making bad decisions but it is more than that and he throws a lot of off target passes. The mental errors only compound what I think is an inherent accuracy issue.

I also notice his longest pass in 2019 was 47 air yards. I think his arm strength is also an issue.
he don't need to be fixed ,are do remember when Bress first got here he wasn't the qb that he is now.

I think there is a lot of potential for Winston to change his game and improve. I've often been first in line to criticize the kid as he was our division rival. The biggest thing for me is the mental aspect. Listening to some interviews and the whole "eating a W" thing made me question why anyone would invest that much in this guy. But I have to remember he is a kid. Still very young and if this deal with the Saints is any indication, I'd say he's maturing and may have just been overhyped himself in his first years. The eyesight surgery is promising and if the rest is mechanical like the OP says, that is certainly correctible and we have some of, if not, the best guys in the biz to fix that.

So I will say my perspective of Jamies has changed since he's signed with the Saints and there is a high ceiling for this kid. It just all depends on how he approaches it and if the mental maturity elevates his decision making on the field.

CSP fixes him and makes him a very good QB that is no longer a turn-over waiting to happen...

He re-signs with Tampa next offseason after Brady flops and retires, and is then a true PIA for the following 5-7 years

As a dues paying member of the Bash-Jameis club up until the day he signed with us. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Since he's wearing black and gold with a war flower on his helmet, he's one of ours now. I wish nothing but the best for him. I hope he blows us all away with his improved QB skills.

But even more than that, I hope our team... coaches and players... can fix him as a person. As a man. His off the field track record shows a guy who never grew up. If it was lack of strong character role models in his life, he won't have that excuse after his time with us.

As for his future with the team... If this year in New Orleans improves him as a man and a QB, and we are somehow able to bring him back for camp next season. I will pull for him just as hard as I pull for Taysom. May the best man win. If not? Well, we will have had about as high quality of a back up as you could dream of having for Drew Brees' last shot at a 2nd title.

I'll buy that for $1,000,000.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom