I'm not so sure Jameis can be fixed. (1 Viewer)

I hope you are right but if this was an eyesight issue he would have worn glasses or contacts. The whole point of this thread was not to bash JW but to introduce a little common sense into the tendency of some to gloss over the issues JW has to address. If it was all as simple as LASIK or a some insight from a new coach life would be grand. Unfortunately it isn't that simple.
Here’s my common sense approach. I watched Pittsburgh limp through their season after Big Ben went down. We won’t have that problem. We have a back up who is one of 8 men to ever throw for 5k yards in a season. Unlike the hapless Bucs, he will have a solid team around him if he has to play.

One thing is certain, our offense won’t break down. The only question is protecting the ball. Considering the team around him, the game circumstances likely won’t dictate desperation. It’s a totally different game when you control a game rather than constantly chase. That alone should cut down the turnover rate.

God forbid we do need to chase, but if we do, I’d rather a gunslinger than the anemia I saw from Pittsburgh’s back ups last year. You need someone who will give you a chance, and Pitt had no chance.

And before the Taysom argument comes up, he’s unproven. I wouldn’t want to have to count on him (right now) if Drew missed time. James on a minimum contract is a world class insurance policy that no other team in the league can match right now. Now if you add Taysom to that as a 3rd option, it’s an embarrassment of riches

Last edited:
I want to postulate that many of you have minimized the nature of JW's flaws and have an unrealistic belief that the Saints QB coaches can fix him.

So I have been watching his 2019 games (6 so far) and it is not just bad decisions it is a whole lot of bad throws. Floaters, overthrown, underthrown, bad touch, and most alarming radial aximuth errors.

The common theory it is mental and he is just bad habits and making bad decisions but it is more than that and he throws a lot of off target passes. The mental errors only compound what I think is an inherent accuracy issue.

I also notice his longest pass in 2019 was 47 air yards. I think his arm strength is also an issue.
Don't you think that you've minimized the magnitude that the optometric correctification will have on improving his quarterbackular capabilities, per chance?

Winston biggest hurdle is learning to read transition coverage. The same method Patriots used to expose Jared Goff in the Superbowl which negated any help from Their head coach.

He does an excellent job of pre-snap reads with still bodies, but once you throw motion into the picture with astigmatism/ near sightedness. It can create a plausible reason why he struggles so much in one area. He's probably living or dying on that pre-snap read.

You are confusing the play gain with throwing distance. His longest throw was 47 yards in the air. I have looked for a longer throw but so far have not found one in 2019 or any other year. (I only examined 2019 in detail so I am not ruling out a longer throw in another year)

Here is a complete list of passing "PLAYS" that gained more than 50 yards. The longest air yards was 47.

1589565979865.png
I disagree.

I'll share this site again. It's NFL next generation stats. I'll point to 3 categories that point to Jameis' abilities (that relate to arm strength, air yards, etc.).

In looking at 2019 regular season stats...

1. Jameis was 2nd in the league in "air yards" per completion at 8.2. First place was 8.3 (Stafford). Note that only two men averaged 8+, and another 3 averaged between 7 and 8 "air yards" per completion. 6th place (Russell Wilson) is a full yard and a half plus behind Jameis.

2. Jameis was 2nd in the league in "air yards" per attempt at 10.5 yards per attempt. Stafford lead the way at 10.7. Third place was almost a full yard behind Jameis (Tannehill 9.6). Only seven players total averaged 9 or more yards (in the air) per attempt.

3. Longest completed air distance. James was 7th at 58.2. Thats a lot longer than 47. The range between Jameis at #7 and Cousins at #1 was only 2.3 yards. I love Drew and certainly am not taking a shot at him. I wouldn't trade him for anyone else, but he is at the bottom of the list on this category at 42.8.

I understand the Jameis hate (he's far from my favorite player or person), but not the arguments against his talent. I do understand the argument against turnovers. But with a solid supporting cast around him (coaches and teammates), and a different game script to manage, I believe he's a great option to fall back on, if we need to. His arm ability and playmaking ability is proven.

I don't like Matt Ryan, but I'd be a fool to suggest he isn't a good NFL QB. You can't let your bias against a player (because of his personality, who he plays for, or otherwise) cloud his ability. I don't like LeBron James, but he's an incredible basketball player. I hated Joe Montana (because he always beat us), but he was the best at that time. Etc.

I'm sorry you are concerned, but Sean isn't. Actually, he's elated to have a guy of this calibre, especially at his price, as a #2. Again, Jameis is one of 8 different men to ever throw for 5K yards in a season. 57 different men started an NFL game at QB in 2019. Can you imagine how many different QB's have started since it's inception? And only 8 have thrown for 5K yards in a season. I'll go with Sean on this one.

Last edited:
I listened to a rich Eisen interview two weeks ago with Winston. He sounds like a mature grown up and his actions thus far have definitely proven it.

Some point to his flaws. Outside of the top 5-8 QBs in the NFL there is no such thing as a near flawless QB. With Winston I think Payton can turn him in to a top 5-10 QB. You would be hard pressed to find a QB like that in a draft.

Winston is a proven Commodity and Payton has a great track record with QBs. The fact that Taysom is being viewed as a legitimate QB succession plan in NO after being released by Green Bay 3 years ago speaks volumes. We all have seen Taysom grow and evolve in front of us. Now imagine what Sean can do with a talent like Winston.

View: https://youtu.be/Q6nlH9K5_tM

For anyone curious.

My favorite line is bringing up Lasiks at the end.

Winston own up to all the TOs and didn't make excuses. Then, he say he will getting better with improved vision.

Last edited:
I want to postulate that many of you have minimized the nature of JW's flaws and have an unrealistic belief that the Saints QB coaches can fix him.

So I have been watching his 2019 games (6 so far) and it is not just bad decisions it is a whole lot of bad throws. Floaters, overthrown, underthrown, bad touch, and most alarming radial aximuth errors.

The common theory it is mental and he is just bad habits and making bad decisions but it is more than that and he throws a lot of off target passes. The mental errors only compound what I think is an inherent accuracy issue.

I also notice his longest pass in 2019 was 47 air yards. I think his arm strength is also an issue.
Your wrong dude, he’s the next coming of Drew Brees! Or so a lot of posters on this board will have you believe.

Your wrong dude, he’s the next coming of Drew Brees! Or so a lot of posters on this board will have you believe.
Who said that?

I'm supportive of Jameis as our back up, but to say I think he's the next coming of Drew is a bit dramatic, you think?

Drew is one of a kind.

In my limited watching of Winston, you're spot on.

Now, I don't have the patience to study footwork. If a lot of those errant throws are due to footwork, that can be fixed. Otherwise, he's what he is.

One of the best offensive coaches in the league has enough faith in Jameis Winston to want him on the team. I trust Sean Payton's judgment over any fan evaluation of Jameis' skills, including my own.
I do too which is why I think Hill will be a good QB.

It's hard to overlook that everyone passed on Jameis. He matches his big outputs with bad mistakes. Enough to cripple a team.

We've seen it. We always knew whether Tampa was a challenge or not depended on what Jameis did. More often than not he gave the game away. When he didn't it was a close high scoring game.

I can't pinpoint the issue to fix but he has a tendency to make boneheaded mistakes at critical times.

I don't know if that can be fixed or not. I'm not counting him out but I'm also not counting on him.

So what makes you qualified to make that determination? What teams have you been QB coach for ? So say that it is unrealistic is pure folly.Arm strength???? Arm strength??? JW has one of the STRONGEST arms in the league, and has been known for that. That statement alone causes me to not take you serious . Quit while you are behind

Again, this debate is on arm strength and nothing more. The OP questions his arm strength.

Starting around 1:47 (back foot rainbow) ... again on 4:18 and 5:23. Jameis is very capable of slinging it deep if and when he has too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_IUARj-dWY&t=351s

Did you actually look at the video you posted?
The pass a 1:47 launched at the 26 yard line and caught as the opposite 30 yard line. Isn't that 44 yards in the air?
The pass a 4:16 launched at the 22 yard line and caught as the opposite 44 yard line. That's 34 yards in the air?
The pass a 5:22 launched at the 33 yard line and caught as the opposite 25 yard line. That's 42 yards in the air.

To put that in perspective these are the 10 longest throws by all QBs in 2018 (only year I could find stats for)

1 - 62.9 air yards
2 - 62.9
3 - 62.7
4 - 61.2
5 - 60.5
6 - 60.2
7 - 55.2
< ---------- Taysom's pass in Vikings game 54.5 air yards <-
8 - 53.9
9 - 53.7
10 - 53.6

So what makes you qualified to make that determination? What teams have you been QB coach for ? So say that it is unrealistic is pure folly.Arm strength???? Arm strength??? JW has one of the STRONGEST arms in the league, and has been known for that. That statement alone causes me to not take you serious . Quit while you are behind

Absolutely nothing, I'm just a fan. HOWEVER I did not make a determination, I voiced an opinion. The day FANs are banned from having opinions sports are dead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom